Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2012, 12:48 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,610,249 times

Advertisements

Among others. Does anyone have experience w/ using any other things or these? I see alot written of them, & only use canned Pumpkin as of now to add to her food as an anti-oxidant & fiber supplement. The CoQ10 should be in Ubiquinol form if it is to be used by a cat, I think.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 09:39 PM

157 posts, read 587,302 times
what do you want to use the Vit D and CoQ10 for?
I use probiotics occasionally for my boys....one has a constipation problem and it seems to help alittle with that, the one I use is highly recommended b/c it has 12 strains of probiotics and is safe for use on cats, it comes in a powder form and I mix abt 1/4 teas in with their food with no problem.

Garden of Life, Primal Defense, Powder, HSO Probiotic Formula, 81 g - iHerb.com

Old 08-03-2012, 07:25 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,564,191 times
Two of my cats take a probiotic daily. I use ProViable DC. One takes it as a diarrhea preventative, the other for tummy issues. The third, like your girl, gets one tablespoon of pure organic pumpkin every day, for constipation help.

Have you been reading Dr Becker's newsletter?

Old 08-03-2012, 09:51 AM

Haha, yes, you caught me.

Other than going nuts w/ adding (due to this cheap food of Friskies she's eating for her urinary struvite crystals, & my worry of the 'junki-ness' of Friskies despite reassurance by vet that it is ok) & subtracting things to her diet, I thought I'd ask of this stuff.

But I'm not even sure if too much pumpkin (does it build up beta carotene in her? hmm) or is it ok to give it daily??

Also, it is ok for urinary stones says an online site as she has, but I hope ths is correct info that I found online. But who really knows?

Old 08-03-2012, 12:56 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,564,191 times
I was concerned about the vitamin A in pumpkin and asked around. Cats, being obligate carnivores, do not derive any nutrition from plant matter, including things like vitamin A and beta carotene. They don't have the enzymes that digest the pumpkin to turn it into those things. I am not saying this well, but am confident the pumpkin is okay as far as those things.

As for how it will affect a cat with urinary tract problems I'm not sure. My struvite kitty HATES the pumpkin so it never became an issue that I needed to ask my vet about. She has to have hair ball remedy though, because she just can't keep up on the fur she ingests. I am using Cat Lax, because it is the only one that is remotely effective that doesn't contain CORN SYRUP.

I don't have any knowledge or opinion on the CoQ 10 or Vitamin D or Ubiquinol. Yet.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
I was concerned about the vitamin A in pumpkin and asked around. Cats, being obligate carnivores, do not derive any nutrition from plant matter, including things like vitamin A and beta carotene. They don't have the enzymes that digest the pumpkin to turn it into those things. I am not saying this well, but am confident the pumpkin is okay as far as those things.

As for how it will affect a cat with urinary tract problems I'm not sure. My struvite kitty HATES the pumpkin so it never became an issue that I needed to ask my vet about. She has to have hair ball remedy though, because she just can't keep up on the fur she ingests. I am using Cat Lax, because it is the only one that is remotely effective that doesn't contain CORN SYRUP.

I don't have any knowledge or opinion on the CoQ 10 or Vitamin D or Ubiquinol. Yet.
Hahaha, who are you? Do you post here much?

Hey, ok, good call on Vitamin A & it seems ok from my reading re: sturvite cats. She does have long hair, thus the potential for hairballs, but as long as it is not bad for her toxicity then I won't worry.

Old 01-31-2014, 03:35 PM

I just wanted to revisit this thread as I'm reconsidering using Ubiquinol again for our cat. We take it ourselves & it seems to give energy back to us. So I'm thinking since our cat is a few yrs older now then when I 1st asked this, maybe it is time to add to her diet? Ok, hope someone is still around & has any new knowledge/updates on this Ubiquinol & cats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats