Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 10:49 AM

3 posts, read 10,836 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone...I posted about my sick cat a few months ago. She's an indoor (or was), declawed, 12 year old kitty. On May 23rd, she bolted out the front door during an area brush fire. Animal Services told me that it was likely she was disoriented. 2 1/2 months later, I didn't think I'd ever see her again, when, there she was near the mailboxes on my way back home from a walk!!!

She is living outside of a neighbors apartment, who is feeding her. But the poor thing is terrified, and I'm having a hard time catching her. She was always skittish, but these months have made her fearful. She has lost some weight, but not gaunt, is very dirty, and has scratches on her nose. I've sat out for hours the last 2 days trying to bribe her with canned food and the sound of my voice into the carrier. I know she knows my voice because she begins to purr, but no luck yet getting her.

I don't want to chase her down and traumatize her more. She is living across a grassy field from me, but I'm in an upstairs apartment, and not sure that she could do the stairs at this point. The other thing is, the cats over on her side are indoor/outdoor house cats. Out back of my apartment are feral cats, and I'm afraid of luring her closer to them.

Any tips/tricks on how to catch her would be so appreciated! I'm so thankful she's alive! Thanks in advance.

Elaine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2012, 12:12 PM

786 posts, read 1,593,699 times
You seem to be posting contradictory reasons for and against getting her back. Not sure what you want but if it were my cat, especially declawed, I would work with the neighbor feeding her and take her back home, make her 100% indoor, clean her up, love her up and nix any of her attempts to get out. If you've had her for a number of years, she'll acclimate once again, just don't force it, just provide a clean safe loving environment, she'll come around. Good luck.

Old 08-05-2012, 12:22 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
I hope you get your cat back. I really do. A perfect example about how dangerous declawing a cat can be, not only for the pain and amputation but in case a declawed cat gets out, it cannot defend itself very well.
Please work with the lady who is feeding her to come up with a plan to catch her.

Old 08-05-2012, 04:16 PM

3 posts, read 10,836 times
She was abandoned with me, already declawed. I couldn't agree more about it's dangers, and would never have a cat declawed now that I've learned more about it. And, of course I want my cat back. My concern is about not luring her near more dangerous cats in the process, or worsening her fear.

I'm not sure I haven't worn out my welcome with the neighbor, so am asking a friend who the cat knows to come physically help me in the morning. I am then taking her straight to the vet, as I have another cat at home.

She was always 100% indoor, to the best of my knowledge, and she will be again. I am somewhat sensitive to the notion that I was careless in letting her escape. It was like a death in the family when she did. Things do happen in life, and I have done and will do the best I can in caring for her.

Thanks for the well wishes and suggestions.

Old 08-05-2012, 07:58 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,576,592 times
Borrow, buy or rent a havahart trap. Ask the neighbor who is feeding her to put the food in the trap. Suggest using a very smelly food she won't be able to resist.

All paws crossed for a happy ending.

Old 08-05-2012, 08:12 PM

If this neighbor is feeding the cat then we can assume she is an animal lover if not a cat lover. I think she would understand your desperation to capture your cat and bring her indoor again. Perhaps if you are feeling you have imposed you could write her a note letting her know you don't want to become a pest but you would really appreciate her help in capturing kitty. I doubt she would really mind. good luck and of course many of us have adopted cats already declawed and nobody is throwing rocks at you about this or the fact your kitty escaped. sometimes they really are sneaky despite our best attempts to keep them inside.

Old 08-05-2012, 08:59 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,860,312 times
i woudl invest ina live/have-a-heart trap and tal to the neighbor thats been feeding her
Given her fear id say a live trap is your best chance of getting her without traumatizing/frightening her away

ive got my fingers crossed for you and please keep us updated

Old 08-05-2012, 09:46 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times
I agee. I think the best (and easiest) way to get her is with a trap.

Old 08-06-2012, 06:08 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,425,831 times
Your local shelter may have a trap that you can use. Ours requires a deposit on the trap that is returned to the person when they bring it back.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:58 AM

have you offered this woman your own cat food or given her money to help feed your cat? This might help with her willingness to help you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats