Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 09:33 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,345,842 times

Advertisements

I was giving Kitty Katty some kitty treats on my leg and he was having a hard time picking them up due to his fangs and then he didn't chew them.

It looked like he totally inhaled them. I have never paid a lot of attention to how many teeth are in a cats mouth, etc. I looked it up and they should have molars and premolars.

I did not see any in Kitty kattys mouth. Anyone else know anything about this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 09:51 AM

380 posts, read 832,609 times
Cats being obigate carnivores are meat-eaters; can't "chew" like we humans can. They grasp the meat with their fangs; carnassials shred & tear. Their jaws can only go up & down as well - not sideways. This is why "anti-kibble-carb kooks" like me go ballistic when veterinarians endorse and sell kibble -- it's animal abuse because they should know this yet tell trusting clients it 'helps clean teeth', etc.

This is why you see the same man-made health issues posted on forums like this. See the "PU Surgery" thread for one example; info posted regarding the mainstream veterinary industry's conflict of interest (links to a 3 part series by a veterinarian)-- //www.city-data.com/forum/cats/...y-cats-29.html Felids also lack Amylase enzymes to break down carbs.

See -- no flat molars anywhere to grind anything , therefore they can only merely shatter it, if not swallow it whole - - and people wonder why "cat" and "puke" are synonymous!

Last edited by Pamina333; 08-22-2012 at 10:06 AM..

Old 08-22-2012, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF4256 View Post
Cats being obigate carnivores are meat-eaters; can't "chew" like we humans can. They grasp the meat with their fangs; carnassials shred & tear. Their jaws can only go up & down as well - not sideways. This is why "anti-kibble-carb kooks" like me go ballistic when veterinarians endorse and sell kibble -- it's animal abuse because they should know this yet tell trusting clients it 'helps clean teeth', etc.

This is why you see the same man-made health issues posted on forums like this. See the "PU Surgery" thread for one example; info posted regarding the mainstream veterinary industry's conflict of interest (links to a 3 part series by a veterinarian)-- //www.city-data.com/forum/cats/...y-cats-29.html Felids also lack Amylase enzymes to break down carbs.

See -- no flat molars anywhere to grind anything , therefore they can only merely shatter it, if not swallow it whole - - and people wonder why "cat" and "puke" are synonymous!
Everything you are saying makes sense.... I don't see where my cat has those back teeth at all.....

Old 08-22-2012, 11:13 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,981,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
I was giving Kitty Katty some kitty treats on my leg and he was having a hard time picking them up due to his fangs and then he didn't chew them.

It looked like he totally inhaled them. I have never paid a lot of attention to how many teeth are in a cats mouth, etc. I looked it up and they should have molars and premolars.

I did not see any in Kitty kattys mouth. Anyone else know anything about this?
If he's lost his teeth he must have suffered a lot of pain in the process. Healthy teeth don't just fall out. I think you need to take him to your vet have him/her check your cat's mouth. When was he there last? Vets usually check an animal's teeth when you bring them in for shots, exams etc.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
If he's lost his teeth he must have suffered a lot of pain in the process. Healthy teeth don't just fall out. I think you need to take him to your vet have him/her check your cat's mouth. When was he there last? Vets usually check an animal's teeth when you bring them in for shots, exams etc.
I adopted him in April and he was at the vet in February. He is 7 years old. I imagine they checked his teeth because one of his fangs had the end chipped off of it.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:39 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,981,062 times
Quote:
I adopted him in April and he was at the vet in February. He is 7 years old. I imagine they checked his teeth because one of his fangs had the end chipped off of it.
It's odd that the Vet didn't notice the missing teeth. He or she should have and made mention of it to you. This cat needs a soft diet such as a good canned food. I would consider changing Vets. It seems the schools are cranking out Vets today that are not up to par with those of the past, not that there weren't duds back then. But had a Vet missed something like this, I wouldn't continue to go back there.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:07 PM

I have not taken him to the vet as of yet. He was taken by the rescue group a couple of months before I adopted him. With that said, we took my SOs office cat to the vet Kitty Katty saw and we have not been pleased and plan to change vets for both cats. Kitty Katty is due back in February.

Old 08-22-2012, 04:31 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,552,682 times
I guess he must have had some dental problems in the past. FORL and stomatitis are two dental diseases which will cause a cat to have to have multiple teeth removed.

So....it sound like someone cared enough about him at some point to pay for all that surgery. Usually, when you adopt a cat from a shelter, the first thing do is take the kitty to your own vet for a check up. Many vets don't charge for that initial check up, if the cat came from a shelter. In my area, anyway.

Cats without teeth can still eat a dry diet, most cats don't "chew" kibble anyway, they just scoop and swallow, but for Kitty Katty's overall health, and especially his kidneys and bladder and urinary tract health, a canned diet is best.

Old 08-22-2012, 05:44 PM

380 posts, read 832,609 times
Quote:
Everything you are saying makes sense.... I don't see where my cat has those back teeth at all.....
Oh wow, didn't realise that

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Cats without teeth can still eat a dry diet, most cats don't "chew" kibble anyway, they just scoop and swallow,
Was this a typo?

They can't even eat it properly with cats teeth, or process the carbs due to lack of amylase. Imagine us trying to eat a bowl of Capt'n Crunch with a cat's teeth -- and jaws. And the natural low thirst drive leaves them clynically dehydrated on a dry diet... Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health Species was never meant to eat it, period.

Old 08-22-2012, 05:54 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,552,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF4256 View Post
Oh wow, didn't realise that

Was this a typo?

They can't even eat it properly with cats teeth, or process the carbs due to lack of amylase. Imagine us trying to eat a bowl of Capt'n Crunch with a cat's teeth -- and jaws. And the natural low thirst drive leaves them clynically dehydrated on a dry diet... Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health Species was never meant to eat it, period.
No it was not a typo, you are quoting me out of context Cats CAN, as in "are capable of", "able to", eat dry food without teeth. I was not saying it is good for them. I was saying lack of teeth does not hinder a cat's ability to eat kibble, because they don't have chewing teeth anyway. They don't chew it, so it doesn't matter if they have teeth or not, when feeding kibble.

However I am against the feeding of ANY kibble to cats and the rest of my comment which followed, (see below) I thought, made that clear. Sorry for the confusion :

Quote:
but for Kitty Katty's overall health, and especially his kidneys and bladder and urinary tract health, a canned diet is best.

Last edited by catsmom21; 08-22-2012 at 06:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats