U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 09:46 PM

36,502 posts, read 50,919,075 times

Advertisements

Always knew milk was bad for cats and of course raw fish and bones but never realized just a trace amount of onion, even if cooked could be so dangerous. I accidentally flip chopped onion on the floor almost every time I chop one and with 2 dogs and 2 cats under my feet i can rely on somebody getting to it before me. never Again.

7 Foods You Should Never Feed Your Cat
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 11:43 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,523,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Always knew milk was bad for cats and of course raw fish and bones but never realized just a trace amount of onion, even if cooked could be so dangerous. I accidentally flip chopped onion on the floor almost every time I chop one and with 2 dogs and 2 cats under my feet i can rely on somebody getting to it before me. never Again.

7 Foods You Should Never Feed Your Cat
I think this article being just a little dramatic.

For one, milk isn't bad for ALL cats. Like people, some cats digest milk better than others. I've had cats that could guzzle all the left over milk in the cereal bowl with no ill effects and others who will get diarrhea from a small amount. So it's a pretty individual and variable reaction.

Onions and garlic ARE toxic and DO cause damage to the red blood cells, but it takes more than a trace amount. Substances in this group of plants cause damage to the red blood cells. The body removes damaged blood cells from circulation by destroying them, so if enough blood cells are damaged anemia results.

They actually aren't exactly sure how much it takes for a dangerous amount of damage to result. For dogs, it's about .5 percent of the animal's body weight. We know cats are more sensitive. For a small cat, she'd probably have to eat about half a raw onion or a couple of cloves of raw garlic.

The danger with onion and garlic toxicity is that the compounds that cause the damage aren't affected by drying it and garlic/onion powder is in a ton of different products that you wouldn't normally think of. A big one to be aware of is baby food because it is often given to sick cats. It's also in soaps, stews, etc. etc, so it is a good thing to be aware of...but your cats and dogs will be just fine if they steal a tiny bit off the floor.

Bones actually won't splinter so long as they aren't cooked, which is why many people who feed raw give chicken necks. You can find a lot to debate about as far as the risk of salmonella from doing so, but it arguably actually helps keep their teeth a lot cleaner.

I don't feed raw, but JJ gets pretty much whatever we're eating or at least a taste of it. He'll get tomato sauce even if it was cooked with garlic or onions...he just only gets a very small amount and only on occasion.

Oddly this article doesn't mention chocolate or raisins. Chocolate of course can cause toxicity (though again it takes more than a trace amount.) We know raisins are toxic for dogs in even small amounts but it isn't known how dangerous they are for cats...better just to avoid them.

Instead of foods you should NEVER feed your cat, I kind of felt like this should have been called "Seven foods to feed with caution or in limited amounts"

Old 08-29-2012, 04:24 AM

36,502 posts, read 50,919,075 times
JJ thanks for more info. never knew about raisins and wondered why chocolate which is well known to be bad for dog, wasn't listed as bad for cats.

Old 08-29-2012, 08:19 AM

575 posts, read 1,875,594 times
Okay - the next person that goes on a "don't feed your cat chicken or eggs due to salmonella" kick is going to make me absolutely loose my freaking mind!!!

Cat's can't digest the milk sugar in milk - it will also make them fat and that's why they shouldn't have it.

Onion is bad but a very small amount that falls on the floor isn't harmful but most cats wouldn't eat it especially raw due to the smell. Garlic in small amounts is used by many as a natural flea control.

Raw fish - well plenty of wild cats eat raw fish and live to tell that tale - that's just someone jumping on anti raw food bandwagon.

Cooked bones - agreed those are bad news

Fatty trimmings - if thats all that you give your cat along with cat food then yes, that's very rich for your cats system and he's liable to get an upset stomach. However cats need animal fat in good proportion to muscle meat it it will not harm them when given properly. I don't think a cooked T-Bone left overs is a good idea.

Caffeine - yep no good

And BTW on the raisins ( and grapes) for dogs - yes they are harmful to some but many dogs eat raisins all their lives with NO problems at all. The dangers lie in that it's an idopathic cause - they don't know what's dangerous about it really and they can't tell what dog it will affect. Some dogs have even been known to eat them without affect for several years and then just drop dead from them.

Chocolate - it's the theobromine in the chocolate - darker the chocolate the worse it is for them to have. Dogs affected more than cats.

Old 08-29-2012, 08:47 AM

18,842 posts, read 35,647,014 times
Interesting. My Grandparents, Depression Era folks, never bought cat food or dog food. Their pets ate scraps from the table. Sometimes, a bowl of rice, with butter was given to the pets, if the scraps were lean. All their pets lived long, happy lives.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:47 AM

9,918 posts, read 23,352,165 times
The milk bit is because of lactose intolerance, just like in people. So you can give the cat a bit of Lactaid milk now and then, or buy the specially formulated Cat-Sip or similar product from the pet aisle that is essentially the same thing. I make frozen treats out of Cat-Sip for Amber, frozen in an ice cube tray. This is one of her favorite treats especially in summer but really all year round.

Folks already touched on raw bones being okay. It's cooked bones that are a problem.

Onion and garlic I know but apparently small amounts of garlic shouldn't be a problem. I've even seen it as an ingredient in cat-specific items.

I wish their method of switching from dry to canned cat food was that simple. Reality doesn't work quite like that.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:49 AM

2,095 posts, read 2,934,141 times
Thank goodness my cats would never think of eating any of these. The only "people food" Boo Boo eats is rotisserie chicken. Whenever we buy it from the grocery store she gets very excited about it! Stein loves the smell of fruits and veggies, especially carrots and strawberries, but he would never eat them.

Who is feeding their cat coffee or Coke?

Old 08-29-2012, 03:37 PM

8,654 posts, read 20,276,102 times
What about goat's milk? I had a friend who swore that this saved her cat's life.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 08-29-2012, 04:53 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,523,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
What about goat's milk? I had a friend who swore that this saved her cat's life.
Goat's milk does contain lactose, but less than cow's milk. So again depending on the cat they could digest it just fine or have some diarrhea...it just depends on the individual animal. Many people use goat's milk for cats with little appetite because it provides nutrition and is readily accepted by most cats, but isn't as prone to cause issues as cow's milk

Old 08-29-2012, 06:10 PM

30,253 posts, read 74,362,745 times
OUr dog ate three pounds of Sees chocolate truffles (and the boxes, wrapping paper and little wax paper cups. We rushed him to the vet who said dont worry about it. THe dog was a little under the weather for a few days, but not really sick and then was fine.

Not sure how much chocolate it takes to be a problem, but if I ate three pounds of truffles in one sitting, I would be sick for a week.

I think a lot of these things are overblown for dramatic effect.

Our cat eats cheese regualrly, milk occaisionally and whatever else she can get that looks edible. She used to eat a thrid of a loaf of bread if she could chew thought he bag before she got caught. Raw fish is common for her, cirkcets, raw mice, birds, an occaisional bunny. . . . she seems to be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats