U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 11:53 PM

105 posts, read 319,420 times

Advertisements

For the past two years, all three of my cats have been eating the Turkey formula canned by Wellness. Early this month all three of them have been refusing to eat it. I've had to mix it with different brands in order for them to eat.

I looked all online including Wellness website to see if they changed ingredients or stopped using a particular ingredient and I'm not finding any info regarding changes made. I swore in the past I read the Turkey formula had fish in the ingredients. This is can strictly has Turkey formula on label, not like the other ones that say Turkey & Salmon, Chicken & Herring or whatever.

Is any else having same problems with wellness canned? Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 09:01 AM

13,251 posts, read 41,196,026 times
It's possible also, that your cats have simply chosen to want something new for a change. Some cats are always finicky, some prefer the same thing over and over forever, and some like to switch it up once in awhile. Most cats enjoy at least somewhat of a variety. Even cats in the wild will -attempt- to seek out a variety of prey, when possible.

My cat is hard to please; what she loves today, she might reject tomorrow. I never know with her, it's always hit or miss. I do know that one food she really loved, with a flavor of Rocky Mountain somethingorother, changed their gravy. She refuses to eat it now.

She does like the Wellness foods, sometimes. I don't recall any change in the Turkey formula though.

Old 09-20-2012, 09:06 AM

7,329 posts, read 15,583,048 times
You could email them and ask if they've changed the formula.
Cats can be finicky but all 3 suddenly refusing to eat it at the same time is odd. Why not just switch to the flavor they eat willingly?

Old 09-20-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
It's possible also, that your cats have simply chosen to want something new for a change. Some cats are always finicky, some prefer the same thing over and over forever, and some like to switch it up once in awhile. Most cats enjoy at least somewhat of a variety. Even cats in the wild will -attempt- to seek out a variety of prey, when possible.

My cat is hard to please; what she loves today, she might reject tomorrow. I never know with her, it's always hit or miss. I do know that one food she really loved, with a flavor of Rocky Mountain somethingorother, changed their gravy. She refuses to eat it now.

She does like the Wellness foods, sometimes. I don't recall any change in the Turkey formula though.
Switching Foods | Little Big Cat

On this website above, I recently read its good to give your cats variety for many reasons due to allergies and other health concerns. That website has been so informative. I'm starting to give them a variety of brands as long as its grain free. Its been trial and error. I actually tried giving them the Chicken and Beef and Chicken formulas by Wellness in the past with no success. All three would only eat the Turkey. Strange.

Old 09-20-2012, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
You could email them and ask if they've changed the formula.
Cats can be finicky but all 3 suddenly refusing to eat it at the same time is odd. Why not just switch to the flavor they eat willingly?
Its not that easy to just give them the "flavour they eat willingly". It's a little more complicated. Even with those I noticed they will take a bite and turn their nose up and walk away. It's really been a trial and error. For example; one of them seem to love Fussie Cat at first and the next day refused to eat it. I've already been through five different brands without much success. But if I mix them up, they will eat a little of it. And it doesn't always work.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:01 AM

9,390 posts, read 16,980,166 times
It's quite possible that, while the formula hasn't changed, the quality of the ingredients has. Wellness was bought out a few years ago and it's likely their business goes to the lowest bidder, when it comes to suppliers, so you never know what any given batch will be like.

My advice is, make note of the batch number/dates, bring the remaining food back, try to encourage them to eat something else while you wait for a new batch of the Wellness Turkey to come out.

This is one reason why it is helpful to feed a variety of brands/flavors. You never know when there is going to be a "bad batch". Not that the food is bad, but some discerning cats can always tell when ingredients are of sub par quality.

I know it is difficult to find things some cats will eat. But don't ever stop trying. I continually try new brands and flavors, and when I find one a cat (even one out of three) will eat, I add it to that cat's rotation.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:41 AM

575 posts, read 1,875,425 times
A company can make changes to a formula and the changes do not have to appear on the bag or can label for six months.

Wellness has been the subject of MANY recalls over the past "recent" history. So I would be a bit careful there - however this is not me trying to dictate what you feed - just a bit of advice.

The best thing I can offer is that if your cat is refusing to eat something there is usually a reason. Sometimes it's picky cat and they all go though this. But if all three of your crew have stopped eating something I would take heed of that quickly. Cat's are sensitive creatures and they may be trying to tell you something.

Old 09-23-2012, 08:22 PM

Thanks to everyone for responding. All good points. catsmom21 gread tips. Kittymom4, I wasn't aware a company has six months for changes. I am aware of the last recall regarding lack of taurine, however I wasn't aware of the other recalls. All three of my cat's refusing to eat the Turkey formula--you put in good perspective.

Also I did write Wellness and they responded by email Friday suggesting I call them. I'm calling them Monday and until then I am going to keep trying to find them a food they love. For RIGHT NOW, they are somewhat enjoying Dave's Natural. Who knows how long that will last.

Old 09-23-2012, 09:12 PM

2,280 posts, read 4,172,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
It's quite possible that, while the formula hasn't changed, the quality of the ingredients has. Wellness was bought out a few years ago and it's likely their business goes to the lowest bidder, when it comes to suppliers, so you never know what any given batch will be like.

My advice is, make note of the batch number/dates, bring the remaining food back, try to encourage them to eat something else while you wait for a new batch of the Wellness Turkey to come out.

This is one reason why it is helpful to feed a variety of brands/flavors. You never know when there is going to be a "bad batch". Not that the food is bad, but some discerning cats can always tell when ingredients are of sub par quality.

I know it is difficult to find things some cats will eat. But don't ever stop trying. I continually try new brands and flavors, and when I find one a cat (even one out of three) will eat, I add it to that cat's rotation.
I agree with all of your thinking. Have the cats used to various brands: Play it safe and the cat will not refuse anything but the one brand it has always eaten.

Next, I found that my cats also don't love Wellness the way they used to! They leave it unfinished whereas in the past they loved it. I gave up buying much of it. They used to like the Chicken and Herring the most; now not so much. So, I use primarily Natural Balance wet, Weruva wet, some Science Diet wet, Friskies (yes!), and some other brands like Solid Gold tuna wet sometimes.

I also have Royal Canin dry on hand because they adore it and if I am in a crisis at least I have a bag of that for them. Not that I used dry much, but it's good as a back up.

Old 01-14-2013, 07:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,032 times
Default Lost my best friend

My two cats have been eating 5.5oz chicken wellness for a few years. I never had an issue until last month. All the cans in a case I bought had a more watery consistency, sort of muddy. I called the company and they said that recently their distribution network had changed, and food from different factories which cook the food by different methods could go to the same store. They said the ingredients were exactly the same though. I thought that maybe this was the cause of the different texture, but the next case I bought was the same manufacturer code but was back to the normal consistency.

I noticed my cats still seemed to eat the different consistency food, but with two cats I did not notice that Zoey was not eating as much as she usually did. On Christmas eve she fell ill, and I took her to the vet right away. They found she was suffering from feline hepatic lipidosis, a liver disease caused by rapid weight loss in cats when they do not eat enough. She received immediate treatment, but unfortunately she died the day after Christmas. The disease had gone too far before she showed any symptoms. Needless to say, I was devastated- she was only 6 years old. I don't know if the root cause was the change in the food, but it sure is suspect since this disease can develop in a matter of days or a few weeks if a cat's calorie intake drops. She had been getting the inconsistent food for about 11 days before she showed any sign of sickness.

I will probably keep my other cat on the same food, since he is so used to it, but if you see any changes in your cat's food please take note as it could cause dire consequences as we sadly found.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats