Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2015, 12:23 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,777,604 times

Advertisements

An acquaintance has a cat he is very close to and wants to keep but there is an issue. The cat sometimes uses the litterbox and sometimes uses the floor. His dad is a vet so checked for health issues, tried all kinds of things but cat still does this. He cant stand the smell anymore and considering making the cat an outdoor cat but it doesnt have claws!!!

Everyone is telling him that would be cruel for many reasons. I dont want to give annoying advice and he doesnt want to hear it.

I guess my question is - does anyone know a way to deal with this? Not sure he will want to hear it but I'm afraid he's going to put the cat out. Every cat I ever had always used the litterbox and I never heard of a cat doing both. What can be up with the cat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 12:34 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,761,312 times
It can be caused by a lot of things and it's actually quite common. There are several threads on this forum about it or Jackson Galaxy's website has good information.

Please do not let him put the cat out. It is cruel to turn an indoor cat out. If he can't keep it ask him to give it to a reputable no-kill rescue.

Thank you for caring about the cat.

Old 07-30-2015, 12:45 PM

I cant stop him, Im not even really friends with him. He posted this on his FB page and I was hoping something I can say will help. Thk u, I will check out what you said. If this is common, I wonder if he tried baking soda on the spots to help with the smell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
It can be caused by a lot of things and it's actually quite common. There are several threads on this forum about it or Jackson Galaxy's website has good information.

Please do not let him put the cat out. It is cruel to turn an indoor cat out. If he can't keep it ask him to give it to a reputable no-kill rescue.

Thank you for caring about the cat.

Old 07-30-2015, 01:01 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,761,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
I cant stop him, Im not even really friends with him. He posted this on his FB page and I was hoping something I can say will help. Thk u, I will check out what you said. If this is common, I wonder if he tried baking soda on the spots to help with the smell.
I know you can't stop him (I should have phrased that better) but you can at least suggest on his FB page that he give the cat to a rescue rather than just let it outside. Letting a declawed cat outside is most likely a death sentence for the cat.

You can also post the link to Jackson Galaxy's website Pee/Poop Problems | Jackson Galaxy

Old 07-30-2015, 01:01 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,369,412 times
The fact that the cat is declawed could be the reason there is a litter box issue. Many times when cats are declawed, it causes pain/discomfort when scratching in the litter. You might suggest trying to find a more comfortable type of litter for the cat, or at least put pee-pads around the box. As for cleaning, he needs to use an enzymatic type cleaner for cat urine. Nothing else will get rid of the smell.

Old 07-30-2015, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
I know you can't stop him (I should have phrased that better) but you can at least suggest on his FB page that he give the cat to a rescue rather than just let it outside. Letting a declawed cat outside is most likely a death sentence for the cat.

You can also post the link to Jackson Galaxy's website Pee/Poop Problems | Jackson Galaxy
Oh no, I was just explaining I don't know him that well to say what to do...if it were a friend I would say, what are you crazy? ha...I appreciate your help. I did post that web site for him. Yeah, a lot of people are saying dont put the cat outside so hopefully he listens. His dad is a vet so I would think he would know better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
The fact that the cat is declawed could be the reason there is a litter box issue. Many times when cats are declawed, it causes pain/discomfort when scratching in the litter. You might suggest trying to find a more comfortable type of litter for the cat, or at least put pee-pads around the box. As for cleaning, he needs to use an enzymatic type cleaner for cat urine. Nothing else will get rid of the smell.
Yes, thank you. That web site Rowan123 suggested talks about all of that so hopefully he will read and at least try some of those ideas. He said he doent want advice, he just wanted to vent since he is tired of the smell. I get it because I have health issues and the second you open your mouth, everyone is an expert. The thing is if you post public then people are sure to have an opinion!

Old 07-30-2015, 02:20 PM

2,978 posts, read 3,924,021 times
1. Have him add another litter box (uncovered).
2. Buy a black light bulb and have him go around the house with the light. SATURATE the areas that glow with an enzymatic urine cleaner to remove the smell.
3. Try Feliway diffusers (if his dad is a vet he can get them at cost probably).
4. Try Cat Attract litter.

Old 07-30-2015, 03:28 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,576,592 times
Declawed (amputated) cats are notorious for avoiding the litter box. This is because they have constant pain in their feet.

Imagine having your fingers amputated at the first knuckle, then being forced to walk on the stumps and drag them through gravel three times a day. That is what a declawed cat's life is like.

The cat should have his paws x rayed for bone regrowth, bone pieces, abscesses and other common declaw problems. NOT by the vet who originally cut off his toes. he should find an ethical vet, one who does not declaw, to do the x rays and assessment..

Give him The Paw Project Documentary to watch.

Another cause, also directly related to declawing is stress. Urinary tract pain is also common in declawed cats, because the stress of constant pain (not only in the paws but in the back and legs too) creates inflammation in the urinary tract. What this means is it hurts to pee, and the cat blames the pee pain on the litter box so avoids it.

The cat should be fed an all canned diet, low in carbohydrates. If he's going to abandon the cat outside, the cat would be better off taken to a shelter, or even being put to sleep.

Declawed cats live in constant pain.

Old 07-30-2015, 08:49 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,077,083 times
The fact that he's declawed could be part of the problem. He should try a different litter, maybe it's too grainy/hard on his paws. My old cat was declawed and we could't use certain types of litter. Also, he may not be cleaning it enough and changing the litter enough. Cats like their space to be clean. Another option is a bigger litter box, some cats feel cramped because their boxes are too small for them. And as others suggested he needs to get the smell out of wherever the cat has previously peed, or he will keep peeing there. Cat pee reeks, so I understand his frustration. Whatever he decides, he should consider rehoming vs just putting him outside. Hopefully he figures something out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats