Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 05:41 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,682,989 times

Advertisements

Please help, cat lovers!

My sister's cat was just prescribed Science Diet for her cat's urinary tract infection, so she's feeding it
It has this one little ingredient which the cat does need, but we all know about all that other stuff in there
While I've already done enough scouring for dog food, and am now in the process of for cats, just can't seem to find a food that has low enough percentage of magnesium/ash for my sister. Even Wellness had over her vet's recommended value of the ash.

I'm still scouring for her, but wanted to ask your experiences as well.
Any input would be most appreciated in the meantime

Meanwhile, still scouring the web ...but will keep checking here -T
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2007, 11:36 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,404,495 times
When you get a Urinary tract infection, what do you do? You drink more water to flush out those kidneys and get rid of the bacteria. Same with kitty cat. You want her to drink more water. How do you do this? Stop feeding dry food. Wellness canned is okay, but mix in some water with the food. I assume your vet put her on antibiotics too? That should clear up the problem quickly. Keep her on a full course of antibiotics and change her diet to wet food. I would not recommend Science Diet. Read this web site for more information: The Basics of Cat Nutrition

Old 08-14-2007, 12:56 AM

1,378 posts, read 6,213,453 times
Have you tried Prescription Diet C/D? You have to buy it from your vet's office but it's great for urinary tract problems, talk to your vet about it. You can buy it in dry and wet.

Old 08-14-2007, 04:29 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,246,162 times
I lost a cat to renal failure last year. He lived with it for just over 5 years.

Vet tried to sell me some crap from Hill's. Here is the real deal--Feed a high quality,simple protein and for urinary issues feed a canned food. The junk your vet sells IS NOT medicated. Most of that stuff does not even have any actual meat in it. Cats are carnivores, not corn-gluten-mealavores.

I agree, for a UTI antibiotics should clear it up. Water can be added to ANY canned food to get more moisture into your animal. Cats are notorious for not drinking enough.

Old 08-14-2007, 09:36 AM

Thanks. Evey, I went ballistic when she told me what she "had" to feed now. (Good thing it was over the phone I've been telling everyone I know about this stuff for 9 months now and emailing them info, so I really freaked out on her.

I did recommend the canned Wellness Core; Spent yesterday emailing more links and reading ingredients/analysis to her over the phone for Evo as well. (Flint River Ranch does not yet have canned food.) But she's scared to trust an "amateur" over a vet, now that she has an animal that's sick. She said that her cat does drink a lot of water and is on antibiotics.

Sad that most folks will trust a vet regarding food over all this info out here, and right on the labels! Even more sickening that a Carnivoure needs a "Prescription" for Corn Gluten and a by-product!

Here are the first ingredients in that c/d:
Brewers Rice, Corn Gluten Meal, Chicken By-Product Meal, Pork Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Chicken Liver Flavor...
All those crooks do is "say" thay leave out the ash, magnesium and phosphates!

Old 08-14-2007, 11:24 AM

2,493 posts, read 4,404,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel'r View Post
Thanks. Evey, I went ballistic when she told me what she "had" to feed now. (Good thing it was over the phone I've been telling everyone I know about this stuff for 9 months now and emailing them info, so I really freaked out on her.

I did recommend the canned Wellness Core; Spent yesterday emailing more links and reading ingredients/analysis to her over the phone for Evo as well. (Flint River Ranch does not yet have canned food.) But she's scared to trust an "amateur" over a vet, now that she has an animal that's sick. She said that her cat does drink a lot of water and is on antibiotics.

Sad that most folks will trust a vet regarding food over all this info out here, and right on the labels! Even more sickening that a Carnivoure needs a "Prescription" for Corn Gluten and a by-product!

Here are the first ingredients in that c/d:
Brewers Rice, Corn Gluten Meal, Chicken By-Product Meal, Pork Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Chicken Liver Flavor...
All those crooks do is "say" thay leave out the ash, magnesium and phosphates!
Yes, it's very common. People prefer to trust the advice of a vet even if it's bad advice, because it's easier. Antibiotics make an animal more thirsty. Also, cats prefer to get water from their food. My cat gets a raw food diet. When he's not getting his homemade raw food, I'll feed Wellness canned and mix in a little water. I never see him drink water. Even when a cat drinks water, it's not enough to compensate for the dehydration from the dry food. Can you imagine how thirsty you'd be if you at kibble all the time?

greenie

Old 08-15-2007, 08:56 AM

Pretty dehydrated, for sure!
Greenie, I actually found and visited a cat forum and there is a vet on there who is the administrator, giving medical advice, and she's on there telling all these pet owners how good Hills, Purina and all that stuff is. She disagreed with what I posted, saying there's nothing wrong with the Corn & such (when I posted the ingredients.)

These poor pet owners take her word for gospel! I really want to shove that stuff down her throat for a month or so! Boy, those kickbacks must be pretty profitable in that creep's "practice"

Old 08-28-2007, 06:27 AM

59 posts, read 397,559 times
A UTI infection in a male cat needs to be taken very seriously (you didn't say if the cat is male or female.) A male can block up very quickly and the problem goes from serious to dangerous. One thing to look for is food which is very low in ash. There are several available.

I've had two male cats over the years who have actually had to have surgery on the urethra due to blockage. If the vet determines that the cat is doing okay, good prevention would be to have that low ash food.

Good luck!

Old 09-02-2007, 06:12 AM

1 posts, read 49,663 times
I don't have any cats myself. However, I do know that others have been helped by natural remedies for their pets UTI's. Here is a link to one that some people have found helpful.
PetAlive UTI-Free Treat Cat Dog Urinary Tract Tnfection - (eBay item 320132159141 end time Sep-25-07 22:59:10 PDT) (broken link)

Old 09-03-2007, 07:48 PM

389 posts, read 3,539,702 times
I believe that Royal Canin makes a urinary diet. (yes they make cat food despite the name) I don't trust anything Hills or Science Diet, but that's personal preference, but if your vet says you need the prescription diet, I would make sure to get one, but I think you will be able to find a brand that sits better with you. The only other prescription diets that our clinic sells is Eukanuba, and I am not a huge fan of theirs either and I don't know if they make a urinary diet or not.

Good luck. I hope your kitty feels better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats