Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 08:56 PM

2,280 posts, read 4,513,207 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I just want to share a tip. I am TNR certified, as posted elsewhere, and it is no big deal, but you do learn stuff that is very helpful.

From practical experience, what I found matched exactly what I learned in class: Feral cats, when humanely trapped, panic and go wild in the trap UNTIL you cover the trap COMPLETELY, absolutely no peeking holes - this is important - and like a light switch, they totally calm down, go quiet and motionless and stay that way.

This is due to the predator instinct: They know that if they are hidden and silent, a predator will not hear or see them and their chances for survival are much better.

Now, I am leading up to this: Never take your pet to the vet with the carrier uncovered. Your cat will feel vulnerable. Of course, if your cat is very scared, you can do what we do: Use a carrier such as the PetMate one that has a door not only at the side but at the top (the carrier runs around $59 for the large size). Have your spouse, family member, friend do the driving and you sit in the back seat with Ms or Mr Cat. Threat a seat belt through the carrier's top handle. If your pet is terrified, you might place the carrier on your lap and open the top enough to put your hand on your pet's head and neck to pet it and calm it. I realize that this involves some risk if there is an accident and would only suggest it if the cat is terrified. One of my poor late cats peed completely on the carrier pet bed out of fear and I found that she felt way better being petted during the ride, with my hand stuck inside.

But when you get to the vet office, have a heart and cover that carrier totally with a large towel so the cat feels invisible to the strange dogs, people and cats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 12:04 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,500,472 times
Good tip. I didn't realize about covering the cat carrier until I got involved in rescuing some feral kittens and then did TNR for adults in the bunch. Now I do it for my domestic cat also. I didn't know why it works (thanks for that info) - just was suggested to me and it works!

Old 10-15-2012, 07:14 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,650,216 times
Sounds like a good tip.

I have theorized that one of the reasons Amber does better in her newer carrier is that it's significantly less open than the soft-sided Sherpa carrier which has mesh all through the sides. I think those must have been designed mainly with dogs in mind. When we go to the vet one of us drives and one of us holds the cat in carrier, a risk that we take for the short 5-mile drive.

Amber has never seen a dog in her life as far as I know, at least not up close. Never had to go to a vet where they see dogs, and they don't run by the house or come up to the patio door or anything. It's possible she's seen someone walk by with a dog on leash (fairly rare), or seen the one who lives across the street from a long distance out the window, but that's the only chance, and she would have had to be actively looking out the window at those times (she doesn't usually spend long periods gazing outside). At the current vet I think only once have we met another cat in the waiting room. I think as long as the visits are routine and scheduled he seems to block enough time where that is rare. Sometimes it has made me wonder if he's really going to make it since it's always so quiet, but he's been at it for 10 years in that spot I think so must be doing okay. Plus, when I went to pick up a prescription on a Saturday afternoon I found people waiting, more than one, so I must just be lucking out when I get there.

Last edited by greg42; 10-15-2012 at 08:25 AM.. Reason: damn typo

Old 10-15-2012, 07:38 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,062,587 times
but why do cats enjoy being in carriers at home? We leave ours out so it is not a big deal when they see it. they play in the carrier and sometimes even in the dog kennel which is just a big carrier. I always thought it was the motion of the car which sets them off. I put the carrier on the passenger seat so I can stick my fingers thru the wires to pet them and always talk to them. They don't make any noise as long as the car is still.

next time I'll try covering and see if it makes any difference. thanks for the tip.

Old 10-17-2012, 04:37 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,682,792 times
Thats a great idea!

Old 10-17-2012, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelva View Post
Good tip. I didn't realize about covering the cat carrier until I got involved in rescuing some feral kittens and then did TNR for adults in the bunch. Now I do it for my domestic cat also. I didn't know why it works (thanks for that info) - just was suggested to me and it works!
Oh, you do TNR? Great! Where do you do the post neutering or spaying recovery holding of the cats? In someone's home? I just did 9 feral recoveries in my basement but must stop for other reasons. It's such hard work, too.

Old 10-17-2012, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Sounds like a good tip.

I have theorized that one of the reasons Amber does better in her newer carrier is that it's significantly less open than the soft-sided Sherpa carrier which has mesh all through the sides. I think those must have been designed mainly with dogs in mind. When we go to the vet one of us drives and one of us holds the cat in carrier, a risk that we take for the short 5-mile drive.

Amber has never seen a dog in her life as far as I know, at least not up close. Never had to go to a vet where they see dogs, and they don't run by the house or come up to the patio door or anything. It's possible she's seen someone walk by with a dog on leash (fairly rare), or seen the one who lives across the street from a long distance out the window, but that's the only chance, and she would have had to be actively looking out the window at those times (she doesn't usually spend long periods gazing outside). At the current vet I think only once have we met another cat in the waiting room. I think as long as the visits are routine and scheduled he seems to block enough time where that is rare. Sometimes it has made me wonder if he's really going to make it since it's always so quiet, but he's been at it for 10 years in that spot I think so must be doing okay. Plus, when I went to pick up a prescription on a Saturday afternoon I found people waiting, more than one, so I must just be lucking out when I get there.

I looked at where you live - are you outside of Pittsburgh, in a rural area? Because here in NYC, oh, boy, the vet office is filled with animals waiting to be seen.

Yes, I really do believe it is only kind to make the cat feel secure by covering him or her.

Old 10-17-2012, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
but why do cats enjoy being in carriers at home? We leave ours out so it is not a big deal when they see it. they play in the carrier and sometimes even in the dog kennel which is just a big carrier. I always thought it was the motion of the car which sets them off. I put the carrier on the passenger seat so I can stick my fingers thru the wires to pet them and always talk to them. They don't make any noise as long as the car is still.

next time I'll try covering and see if it makes any difference. thanks for the tip.
Why do they enjoy being in carriers at home? Well, cats feel very much more secure knowing they can hide in small, dark places. It has to do with being instinctively prepared to hide from predators.

I think you are lucky. If your cats like to be in the carrier at home and play, encourage it. It is less stressful when they have to go someplace.

Old 10-17-2012, 09:43 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,650,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Anne View Post
I looked at where you live - are you outside of Pittsburgh, in a rural area? Because here in NYC, oh, boy, the vet office is filled with animals waiting to be seen.
It's not a rural area, more suburban. Well my house is nearly rural but the vet is definitely in a suburban area. But he's a solo practice, not multiple vets. So it's a small office. And he sees only cats. There has been some growth in the number of cat-only vets because it really is more comfortable for the cats. Not everyone has this choice but I'm very happy to take advantage of it.

Old 10-18-2012, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
It's not a rural area, more suburban. Well my house is nearly rural but the vet is definitely in a suburban area. But he's a solo practice, not multiple vets. So it's a small office. And he sees only cats. There has been some growth in the number of cat-only vets because it really is more comfortable for the cats. Not everyone has this choice but I'm very happy to take advantage of it.
It IS more comfortable for them! They're lucky. Do you like your vet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats