U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 12:39 PM

18,434 posts, read 32,004,125 times

Advertisements

We have given Kitty Katty beef before and he always brought it right up.. I got a mixture of different kinds of wet cat food and beef was one of them. He usually always has the seafood stuff.

he can normally eat chicken without a problem if there are no spices on it and last night he did fine with turkey cat food.

I just gave him beef and he just got sick immediately. I went and looked at his bowl thinking maybe he scarfed it down and that is why he got sick but no. Most all of it was there and he actually also got sick right in his food bowl the poor kitty.

He is sitting here in my lap now.

How does your cat do with beef?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2012, 12:42 PM

26,864 posts, read 20,134,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
We have given Kitty Katty beef before and he always brought it right up.. I got a mixture of different kinds of wet cat food and beef was one of them. He usually always has the seafood stuff.

he can normally eat chicken without a problem if there are no spices on it and last night he did fine with turkey cat food.

I just gave him beef and he just got sick immediately. I went and looked at his bowl thinking maybe he scarfed it down and that is why he got sick but no. Most all of it was there and he actually also got sick right in his food bowl the poor kitty.

Well, I feed my pets raw and my kittehs LOVE beef. In fact, they just had some today. My pets have done a whole lot better with food ever since I switched from kibble/wet food to raw.

But anyway, to answer again: They love it. Absolutely love it.

Old 10-25-2012, 12:54 PM

I think he just has a sensitive stomach. I don't think he can tolerate it at all. He does well with everything else.

Old 10-25-2012, 12:57 PM

35,103 posts, read 46,247,205 times
Our girls cannot tolerate any of the fish but everything else is great for them.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:06 PM

15,861 posts, read 32,880,786 times
Quote:

One of my kitties loves raw hamburger, but none of them (three) will eat beef "flavored" cat food. They don't like seafood either, and some brands of turkey flavored cat food will produce a barf within minutes.

We stick mostly with chicken flavoring. I swear with 3 cats, and the price of canned cat food, it would be cheaper to buy chicken on sale and simply cook it up for them (2 ounces of cat food for 79 cents versus chicken for $2.99 a pound which comes out to 37 cents for 2 ounces).

Oddly enough, the cats also like "Cesar" brand dog food, so once in a while I will get a couple of these to provide some variety. I know they are not formulated to provide optimum nutrition for cats, so I keep them to a minimum.

Also, there are some canned cat foods that I buy at the pet store ("Taste of the Wild") that my cats just go BONKERS for, but at $1.40 for two ounces, this is more of a treat than a steady diet.

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-25-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
One of my kitties loves raw hamburger, but none of them (three) will eat beef "flavored" cat food. They don't like seafood either, and some brands of turkey flavored cat food will produce a barf within minutes.

We stick mostly with chicken flavoring. I swear with 3 cats, and the price of canned cat food, it would be cheaper to buy chicken on sale and simply cook it up for them (2 ounces of cat food for 79 cents versus chicken for $2.99 a pound which comes out to 37 cents for 2 ounces).

Oddly enough, the cats also like "Cesar" brand dog food, so once in a while I will get a couple of these to provide some variety. I know they are not formulated to provide optimum nutrition for cats, so I keep them to a minimum.

Also, there are some canned cat foods that I buy at the pet store ("Taste of the Wild") that my cats just go BONKERS for, but at $1.40 for two ounces, this is more of a treat than a steady diet.

20yrsinBranson
I used to feed Max and Chloe only chicken, raw. They loved it but it grossed me out so I had to stop doing it.

I never thought he would have that reaction with the beef cat food, but thinking about it now, why wouldn't he?

He got sick every time he has had beef, cooked or raw. I felt horrible when I saw that it was so bad he got sick right in his bowl. =(

Old 10-25-2012, 01:50 PM

15,861 posts, read 32,880,786 times
Quote:
I used to feed Max and Chloe only chicken, raw. They loved it but it grossed me out so I had to stop doing it.

I never thought he would have that reaction with the beef cat food, but thinking about it now, why wouldn't he?

He got sick every time he has had beef, cooked or raw. I felt horrible when I saw that it was so bad he got sick right in his bowl. =(
It has always been my belief that you shouldn't feed a cat anything larger than that which they could kill themselves. Chickens, and to a lesser extent turkeys, fish, should be ok. But a cow. Well, a cow would be pretty tough for a cat to kill, although I'm sure they would try. LOL

Too bad they don't have rabbit flavored cat food, I think my cats would really like that.

I would feed raw chicken except that there are so many bad pathogens in commercially farmed chicken these days. I am not worried for my cats' health, since, they are equipped by nature to deal with it. But if the cat were to get some salmonella on his paws and then jump up on the table or counter top, then my family would be exposed to it, and unlike kitties, we are not equipped by nature to handle this kind of pathogen. I suppose I could freeze the chicken and then thaw it. That's how they sell the raw food at the pet store, frozen. I shall have to check to see if freezing kills salmonella. It might be a great idea to start them on some raw food.

ETA: The salmonella organization says that it is not "completely" killed by freezing (whatever that means). So.... there you go.

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-25-2012, 01:51 PM

4,676 posts, read 8,979,159 times
I've had cats most of my life and none of them ever had a problem eating beef.

Now I did have a white angora who wouldn't touch hamburg..........but would try to climb up my leg to get tenderloin or prime rib!

Old 10-25-2012, 02:22 PM

1,746 posts, read 5,016,384 times
I have one, out of 7, that cant tolerate beef....raw or canned.
I feed nooooo fish. Most of it (weruva excluded) is too risky.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:57 PM

8,175 posts, read 15,770,541 times
I have two who eat raw beef with great enthusiasm and no trouble. One who tried beef (and lamb, too) a couple of times and brought it back up and now refuses any, so she gets no red meat.

As for canned, only one eats canned food beef, and only until they are gone I won't be getting any more because both brands that contain beef that I was feeding have carrageenan, and soon there will be no cat foods with carrageenan in this house
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats