Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2013, 06:50 PM

218 posts, read 544,460 times

Advertisements

One of my cats is mute. She doesn't meow. The two others are fairly vocal. They say hello, how hungry they are, how much they love me. They even chirp and trill. Simone, not so much. And I want to communicate with her. I would love to hear her voice.

Recommendations on ways to unleash her inner meow!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 07:01 PM

332 posts, read 868,462 times
make her watch those meow meow videos.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:13 PM

218 posts, read 544,460 times
not sure what meow meow videos, but I just played this one

Kittens And Cats Meowing - YouTube

...HA...LOLOL .....and all three of my cats came a'running looking for the new cats in the house. They are extremely flummoxed. Priscilla the alpha cat is GROWLING but Simone did just let out two MEOWs!! : )))) Sammy-Joe, my kitten is meowing along with the kittens.

Don't want them to start marking territory so will have to figure out if the videos are the best option.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:47 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,545,426 times
My cat is 17yo and rarely meowed the first 15 years of his life.

I think he may have meowed once per year his first few years.

Two years ago, due to severe digestive problems, I ended up putting him on a raw diet.

Gradually over time, he has started meowing quite loudly when he is hungry. It seems that his intense love of raw food has driven him to learn how to demand it from me!

I actually wish we could go back to the old days when he was quiet......

Old 08-08-2013, 09:51 PM

258 posts, read 421,934 times
Never meows, ever, or meows very very rarely? One of our cats only ever meowed in the kitchen only sometimes, so we started to increase him meowing in there. Every time he would meow, we'd pet him. Lots and lots of loving! Once he was consistenty meowing in there we started petting him only every 2-3 times, and now are just doing it when we feel like it in the kitchen. He started meowing occasionally outside the kitchen, and he's currently meowing more often downstairs mainly, and occasionally upstairs. Sometimes we catch him wandering around downstairs meowing a little song.

Another of our cats pretty much only meows when he is carrying a toy in his mouth, or when he is stuck in a carrier.

But if she meows at all, you can shapethe behavior so she does it more often. Just respond very positively with attention and if you want treats. Start by doing it every single time she meows,and then when she meows consistently start doing it less frequently and randomly. Since it sounds like she was meowing in response to the video, try that to get her started meowing and go from there!

~Katy

Old 08-08-2013, 11:10 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
Give her a bath. I promise you will hear some major protesting.

Old 01-23-2015, 08:10 PM

1 posts, read 3,943 times
I too have a kitten that doesn't meow unless accidently stepped on or put in a carrier. I played the video, it caught her interest but no meow passed her lips. Sad cause she's part siamese
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats