Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 07:39 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,989,759 times

Advertisements

I just saw read this sad news on my Facebook page. The flood waters came and they apparently had nowhere to go........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2012, 07:44 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,798,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
I just saw read this sad news on my Facebook page. The flood waters came and they apparently had nowhere to go........
Sorry - I don't believe it. Rats and mice may die. But ferals virtually always survive. They are lean, mean and surviving machines. And any time you think they don't swim well throw one in a pool.

Old 10-31-2012, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Sorry - I don't believe it. Rats and mice may die. But ferals virtually always survive. They are lean, mean and surviving machines. And any time you think they don't swim well throw one in a pool.
It apparently happened in the L.I.C. area. Maybe she'll add more information today. Cats do drown. When parts of Nashville flooded 2 yrs ago dead cats and other animals were found. They become wet, chilled and exhausted and unless they can grab onto something they will die. It was cold in NYC also so how long would a wet cat last even if they managed to get out of the water?

Old 10-31-2012, 11:13 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,858,669 times
odd that they couldnt get to higher ground, NYC isnt exactly known for its "short" buildings and all have fire-escapes that cats could easily climb, the waters didnt rise THAT high that they wouldnt hav ebeen able to gain enough height to clear out...
but yes i woudlnt be suprise that any ferals taking shelter in the subway stations or in abandoned buildings got caught up and drowned, the waters came in so quickly aparently that they wouldnt nessicarily of had chnace to find an escape route if INDOORS.

Old 10-31-2012, 11:19 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,169,496 times
Natural selection at work.

Old 10-31-2012, 11:09 PM

837 posts, read 2,082,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post

Imagine a violent force of water hurling a 10lb cat down a sewer pipe, down the street, etc. What if the cat was stuck in one of those tiny rectangular sewer holes? Even the toughest of cats who can normally swim/float/maneuver while in water are going to be overwhelmed by these crazy forces of nature. IMO, it's not much different than human beings who died of drowning during a natural disaster (e.g. Hurricane Katrina).

Cats may have nine lives, but they aren't invincible nor immortal.

P.S. The thoughts of animals dying because of Hurricane Sandy is making me super sad. I took my cat with me when we evacuated and shot up to Massachusetts earlier this week. That cat is like a child to me.

Old 11-01-2012, 12:13 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
It's not surprising that many animals, feral or otherwise, die during natural disasters.

Old 11-01-2012, 06:40 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
Sorry they drowned. But many of those cats live pitiful existences, diseased, thin. Better a quick death than a life of misery.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Sorry they drowned. But many of those cats live pitiful existences, diseased, thin. Better a quick death than a life of misery.
I can't disagree with this. Kind people are feeding the ferals there as they do in all cities but not all the ferals are in colonies. Apparently NYC does have a lot of stray and feral cats. A lot larger problem than I realized.

Old 11-01-2012, 12:06 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,021,252 times
Sadly, in low-lying areas of NYC with single-family or 2-3 family homes, human beings drowned, so unfortunately it does not surprise me that cats also died in this way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats