Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 03:41 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,993,078 times

Advertisements

The local PetsMarts are having a adoptathon. Plenty of kittens, cats, pups and dogs to look at so I drove over. I always go and look as I can always use a bag of litter or a few cans of food. As I went in I wasn't paying much attention to what was going on just outside the door. As I was leaving about 20 minutes later.... it seems (I got several stories) someone brought 3 kittens thinking PetsMart just takes in cats like the local kill-shelter. But they don't. They go through Rescues and all kitties are neutered, spayed, are blood tested, free of parasites etc. So the person left the box of kittens by the door near some dogs in cages brought by a Rescue. Minutes before I realized what was happening someone took two of the kittens and left the calico as it was a female, I was told. The poor little thing was thin as a rail and has a few fleas, but surprisingly enough, had a soft silky coat. A lady standing there said the woman who brought them was giving people different stories, then left, leaving the unwanted calico kitten there in the box. Another woman said she would take the kitten and drop it off at the (high kill) shelter in another town since she lived right near the place. !!!!!!! I snatched the baby up and brought her home. Her chance to be adopted from that kill-shelter would be almost nil. I set her up in the outbuilding in one of those large Midwest cat-playpen cages. She can't go near my cats until she's checked by my vet. She has to be blood tested, deflead and surely has worms. Meanwhile she has a nice place to sleep, a clean litterpan and plenty of food, both canned and dry. Fortunately she seems to like the canned better. My vet wont open until Monday so she'll have to stay there until then.

How do I get myself into these situations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2012, 04:05 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,425,831 times
You get into these situations because you're one of the "good guys" that can't look the other way when you see an animal in need. Bless you! Good luck to you and the little calico girl.

Old 11-03-2012, 04:47 PM

1,249 posts, read 1,733,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post

It's in your genes. You fight for the underdog and can't stand to see suffering. Thank you for what you did.

Old 11-03-2012, 05:09 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,803,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post

You're "chosen."

Old 11-03-2012, 07:47 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,756,246 times
This reminds me of how we got one of our cats...

Myself and 3 children went to the grocery store in July some years ago. As we were heading in the door, an employee came hurrying up to the door pushing a shopping cart from the parking lot. In the cart was a cardboard box that was taped closed. You could hear the crying from in the box. Several employees came out and gathered around as the box was opened... inside were 6 miniscule kittens (2 deceased and 4 alive). Someone had left them in the parking lot, in a cart, in a taped up box, in the 90 degree heat. The vet said that the kittens were only about 2 weeks old. Who could do that?

All the kittens were taken by folks that were gathered there that day. Ours bonded with my son that day and is neurotically attached to him still.

That was 12 years ago.

I wish you many years of kitty love for the wonderful thing you did

Old 11-03-2012, 08:25 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
You're a cat magnet!

Old 11-03-2012, 10:49 PM

Thank you for all the kind replies. I went out to bring her fresh food and check on her. She's doing fine. She ate quite a bit for such a small kitty. That black stray male we've been feeding, a carbon copy of the last two black males, was in there right next to her cage and took off like a bat out of hell when he saw me. I closed the door so she'll be safe for the night.

This last black adult male wont come to us like the other two did after feeding them for awhile. Living outside in the woods he's looking good with a good weight and shiny coat. He drinks from our small fish ponds.

Old 11-03-2012, 11:04 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,493,450 times

Old 11-03-2012, 11:17 PM

Lola4

I'll take some tomorrow.

Old 11-03-2012, 11:19 PM

1,059 posts, read 830,831 times
You are an angel!! Thanks for making my week! I'm so happy the kitten has such a special home with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats