U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 02:52 AM

484 posts, read 784,656 times

Advertisements

I am caring for a friends cat who did wee wee on one suede shoe - what do you suggest i do?

if it means anything its a boy and he is not fixed.

Bit embarrassed to take this to a cobbler _ hey my friends cat sprinkled yellow rain on my shoe here clean it if you can....YUCK...lol
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 06:11 AM

8,241 posts, read 15,840,158 times
The simple answer is....he needs to be neutered. If this is a mature male, you might as well throw the shoe away, you'll never get the smell out.

Do you keep his litter box clean? If not, that may be the reason he peed on your shoe. Make sure to keep his litter box very clean, scoop pee and poop out daily. Feed him canned food, no fish.

However, stress, such as being at a strange house, can cause urinary tract problems in cats, which in males can become fatal, so the first thing to do is to take him to the vet.

Old 11-05-2012, 09:50 AM

575 posts, read 1,818,476 times
I'd take it to a cleaner. Make some calls first. A shoe guy probably fixes, not cleans. A leather repair POSSIBLY but most likely a good dry cleaner will be able to help you as they care for leather jackets and things.

My rainbow kitty peed on my hubby suit. He left in on the hanger but folded over something - the cat climbed right up there and peed - I didn't know it for a few days after It was bad. I took it in and told the guy what happened and he made the terrible face at me. I was like I know I know! He said no promises with cat pee. I was like tell me about it. He said give me a week.

So a week later I went back and the suit was completely cleaned I was amazed!!

Old 11-05-2012, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittymom4 View Post
I'd take it to a cleaner. Make some calls first. A shoe guy probably fixes, not cleans. A leather repair POSSIBLY but most likely a good dry cleaner will be able to help you as they care for leather jackets and things.

My rainbow kitty peed on my hubby suit. He left in on the hanger but folded over something - the cat climbed right up there and peed - I didn't know it for a few days after It was bad. I took it in and told the guy what happened and he made the terrible face at me. I was like I know I know! He said no promises with cat pee. I was like tell me about it. He said give me a week.

So a week later I went back and the suit was completely cleaned I was amazed!!
Good advice. But I'm guessing your cat was neutered? Tom cat pee has got to be one of the worst most stubborn smells in the world.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:37 PM

6,591 posts, read 23,482,797 times
1: advise your friend to get thier cat fixed..not only is this cat going to pee on anything it eems his ue to being an intact male and marking territory (and if hes staying at your house THATS going to be fun) but hes also at risk for all manner of health issues if left intact.

2: dont leave your shoes out...anything made of leather/suede is animal attractant time a million.
given this is an intact mae id also be sure to not leave ANYTHING out you dont want peeing on, most toms favorites are plastic of any kind, anything leathr/sueded (due to the natural animal scent) clothing towels and bankets. ect (soft thigns that will "hold" odor)

3: take the shoe to a professional shoe cleanrt, no promises as ti if they can get the oor out but if you REALY like those shoes its work a try before tossing them

4: pick up a gallon of natures miracle JUST FOR CATS...soap and water is NOT going to cut it if this boy decides to start spraying other items.

the only things worse than tom cat musk is skunk and fox musk...

Old 11-05-2012, 01:01 PM

thank you all for the advise. I can't have him wacked lol he is not my cat and the owner said NO because i kid you not she says his ballies make him look like a bunny...... HA HA HA HA... i am so not joking. He is three. a house cat.

now i saw him do it - it does not smell. ODD rite? by the time i got to him to pick him up he ran off.

i will admit his business box should have been cleaner. I have been extra careful with that his moma told me it must be looked after 2x a day. She offered to buy me shoes to replace I have another pair of the same style and color and i got them at a great price.

As per the poster Catsmom1 why should i take him to a vet? all he did was piddle on one shoe once. Not like he is doing it all day every day......

shifting a wee bit. The owner may consider the job she was offered in Aussie and now what? I am starting to love him and thinking if she does take the job maybe I should keep him. He is very sweet a wee bit loud and meow eee but its okay with me.

I know he is 3 yrs old not sure if that's too old to get him neutered.

as per food its a mix of fresh sort of looks like human food by a compy calle select pet i think . I have been picking up at walmart and she has some dry food for emergency treats party mix lol ha ha , pounce, temtations.

he also eats human food. fish, chicken, dairy, meat, chips, How i left a few plates and bingo he became the dish cleaner du jour. lol thankfully it was what i was finished with.

BTW he seems very happy i play with him and even bought him 2 toys he has a few already. and at nite he likes to sleep next to me or near my feet. I am fine with it fact he is like a lil gund beer sweet slilky and fuzzy. i wish i new how to post a photo i would

Old 11-05-2012, 01:14 PM

I think it would be great if your friend let you adopt him, then you could get him neutered! It's never too late for a cat to be neutered, but if he has a spraying habit, it may continue.

I recommended the vet because often litter box avoidance is the first indication that a cat has a urinary tract infection of some sort. UTIs hurt, and males can block.

However, since you say you weren't staying on top of keeping the box clean that may be the problem.

Fresh pet is a wet food, so is a good food for him. Don't let him eat the human foods, they are not good for him. Feed him the fresh pet select, he doesn't need the dry food or people food.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:17 PM

7,329 posts, read 15,158,367 times
It sounds like you might have yourself a new kitty!
3 years old isn't too old to get neutered, and it may save him from health problems dow the road.
Is the food freshpet select? I wasn't familiar with it but I googled it and the ingredients look good! I'll have to look for it.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:26 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,190,785 times
as far as your suede shoes go...toss 'em! there is spray like nature's miracle that you can buy at pet stores but it won't get the discoloration that the pee sis on the suede out.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:24 PM

I e-mailed the owner every day. I feel she is wating on this job so she an get her Holiday bonus and than take the leap to the new job and new life.

Yes the food is Fresh Pet Select its the only frig food i see in Walmart .

What a loving lil boy. He loves to follow me and it breaks my heart lol when i leave he goes to the window with that sad face....... awwwwwwww ..

just curious how many of those treats do you suggest they are small. I asked the mom and she said she does not count just gives a few 3-5 a day .

Today I picked this up at Tjoe All of the cats love Trader Joe's Double Wide Cat Scratcher. - Trader Joe's Double Wide Cat Scratcher Made with Organic Catnip - Epinions.com

he is lovinnnnnnnnnnnnnn it as i type lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats