Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2020, 09:14 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,642,047 times

Advertisements

We moved to Maine FINALLY! We stopped at a cat friendly WV vet while drivng thru WV on last Thur.10/15/19, as I worried re his health.

He has now a high SDMA kidney marker test of 19 vs a lower--yet still higher than normal high on test re scale of top end 14 -- & had a tad high number of 16 in 12/'19. His creatinine is up from 2.4 in 12/'19--to 2.8 now. His legs seem v weak, he sometimes can't get out of box aka sleeps in in curled up mode-- til i give food, then ambles outta box to struggle walk to food. He seems tired/lethargic. This trip has affected him more at age about 5-7yo, vs our approx. age 12-13 yo girl kitty who seems normal.

Vet said maybe stress & mega too much/high raw beef & sockeye salmon (been using too much human grade sockeye & lean 96% beef raw, i know, i know & vet said it too!) & he loves it but can this alter kidney this much?... yes i know... way way too high protein says vet -- & asap she sold me 24 cans Hill's CKD FOODS -- & on 10/15-- put him on now-- a HIlls' scripted diet of CKD canned.

ok, I'm lost i worry-- as this was just this recent past Thurs. Just got to Maine last nite (Sat.) in motel via long long drive in carriers for both cats. Thinking of another opinion this wk here w/ a new local vet? Should I eval him easy & slower & chill watch & wait--or take him asap for a 2nd opinion asap?? Anyone help re his bld work numbers trending now too high, & fear this?. They are trending bad. Im worried.

So his legs seem giving out/weak & he seems to struggle walking/eating/standing/pooping but has been driving in a cramped tight scrunched, carrier for over 3 days --but so has our 2x as old cat, hmm, w/ no atrophy/weakness signs in her. So... In & out motels & between the chemicals used in these motels (who knows what?) & his overall decline, Im scared.

Anyone? Catsmom, Rene?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2020, 04:09 AM

1,758 posts, read 5,502,916 times
From what I THINK I understood from your post...
Another opinion from another vet is likely going to tell you the same hogwash. Protein from MEAT isn't the problem. It is the phosphorus levels.

PERSONALLY, I wouldn't feed ground beef from the grocery store, buuuut sometimes options are limited. I get it.

This is an old article, but the first one I found. I trust Dr. Jean Hofve.
https://www.naturalcatcareblog.com/2...idney-disease/

If canned is the easiest for you and all you can do, this chart can help in choosing a food with low phosphorus.
https://catinfo.org/docs/CatFoodProt...horusChart.pdf

If you think your kitty will eat cooked egg white, it will help also.

There is also this: https://feline-nutrition.org/answers...ver-phosphorus

I'm not sure how far into this disease your kitty is, but I personally give mine this:
https://www.amazon.com/Vetoquinol-EP.../dp/B001B6C7GM

I feed all my pets a balanced raw diet. Buuuuut in your shoes, I would just go with a low phosphorus canned food. My two cents.

Last edited by Lola4; 10-19-2020 at 04:44 AM..

Old 10-19-2020, 05:43 AM

1,758 posts, read 5,502,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola4 View Post

I feed all my pets a balanced raw diet. Buuuuut in your shoes, I would just go with a low phosphorus canned food. My two cents.
Correction:

There might be details that I am not aware. Therefore, I change my comment to... In your shoes, I would LIKELY feed a canned diet that has low phosphorus.

Old 10-19-2020, 07:56 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,940,147 times
I would not panic with an SDMA number of 19.

IMO I would also not feed any prescription diet. It's expensive and low quality, and to boot, many cats won't eat it anyway. I agree with Lola's comment of feeding a canned diet with low phosphorus.

Are you really feeding a lot of salmon and raw beef? I'd cut back on this and feed a balanced diet instead. It's possible his weak legs are due to a mineral/nutrient problem.

Old 10-19-2020, 10:54 AM

TY Lola & Rene! I made a new vet appt for Wed. here. Hard to find a vet so this is going to be hard.

As far as my worry, he has seemed declined again since the sub-q done on 10/15/'20. He has no real ability nor desire to be active. He ate well this morn & drank h20 too. It is just the lethargy & raised numbers of the creatinine again from on 12/'19 of 2.4 & now on 10/15/'20 of 2.8. The SDMA plain scares me as it went from 12/'19 at 16 to on 10/15/'20 at the higher 19.

But again the sleeping in the bathroom only, not wanting to come out other than eat in there & then use his box & back to his corner of towels piled for a bed as of now are why I am worried. We are home hunting so taking just a small short term studio rental thus, w/ our other cat, they need be kept apart hence why he likes bathroom. Now my worry still is his overall weakness/legs & really not moving much & inactivity. Hills food is only a desperate buy while traveling -- & he perked up last Thur. when sub-q was done but in a day or so, back to lethargy.

I still think his FiV status, coupled w/ a URI he can't fight the vet tried treating w/ Terramycin?, his snorty breathing when asleep usually -- & last nite unable to go poo in box & just went outside box -- really makes me think he's in pain/distress or renal decline. I will trust the vet on Wed. & go from there, I guess. I really hope he won't need to be put down in near future due to what I think I'm seeing.

I stopped all human food last wk. I only used Hills since 10/15 of last wk. But prior he ate Sheba, & some Vital Essentials freeze dried raw flavors of; chick, turk & rabbit on the trip during for over a month or so. I'm unsure what to do/use that is canned, low phosphorous, yet good for both our cats being in a new state on top of all this chaos & can't find a raw food or even decent pet food store.

What best canned brand/s? since it is easier to ask you all rather than me on Amazon or Chewy randomly searching. I tried Organix a yr ago & neither cat liked. Then Weruva BFF was ok for both but unsure of phosphorous now. Blue Buffalo, used a few cans over the summer but they're probably not great as carrageenan is in them too. I really wish I'd not moved as it turns out -- that was my big mistake! This is too complex/hard.

Last edited by movintime; 10-19-2020 at 11:03 AM..

Old 10-19-2020, 11:06 AM

130,692 posts, read 12,187,385 times
Hugs.

Old 10-19-2020, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Hugs.
Thank you very much.

Old 10-19-2020, 08:31 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,265,492 times
Where the gofundme part? I wouldnt go to another vet if you are broke & living in motels.

Old 10-19-2020, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Where the gofundme part? I wouldnt go to another vet if you are broke & living in motels.
I need take him tho, as I may be be compromising his life. So I will take him & put off other things or sacrifice. I took him as our pet from AZ, after feeding him for over 3yrs daily, & need fulfill whatever that undertaking requires. I feel it is just the 'right thing' to do.

Not totally broke yet just tearing into savings til we find a permanent home/rental/solution.

Old 10-20-2020, 08:59 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,940,147 times
Have you ever been to this site? It's got a ton of information on kidney disease and cats. Here's information on low phosphorus canned foods: https://www.felinecrf.org/canned_food_usa.htm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats