Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 10:35 AM

2,087 posts, read 4,285,697 times

Advertisements

I'm sure there are other factors at work regarding guar gum, you could search further,

Fecal bile acid excretion and taurine status in cats ... [J Nutr. 1994] - PubMed - NCBI

Carrageenan is used in laboratory experiments to induce stomach irritation in lab animals, that's why many of us are choosing to not feed it to our animals.

I'll look into guar gums further when I have more time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2012, 10:44 AM

2,087 posts, read 4,285,697 times
"In all probability, the high viscosity of the guar gum supplement was responsible for the impaired protein digestion and amino acid absorption. Further research is warranted to investigate whether partially hydrolysed guar gum is useful to potentiate the desirable in vivo effects of this fibre supplement."

Highly viscous guar gum shifts dietary amino acids... [Br J Nutr. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

Now all I have to find out, figure out, is which type of guar gum is used in [each] cat food. I probably have a website for that already, it just takes time. I think for sport though, I'll call some pet food customer service centers (again, when I have time) and ask them first. I'll let them to get back to me when they know the answer.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:29 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,573,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leanansidhex View Post
I'm sure there are other factors at work regarding guar gum, you could search further,

Fecal bile acid excretion and taurine status in cats ... [J Nutr. 1994] - PubMed - NCBI

Carrageenan is used in laboratory experiments to induce stomach irritation in lab animals, that's why many of us are choosing to not feed it to our animals.

I'll look into guar gums further when I have more time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by leanansidhex View Post
"In all probability, the high viscosity of the guar gum supplement was responsible for the impaired protein digestion and amino acid absorption. Further research is warranted to investigate whether partially hydrolysed guar gum is useful to potentiate the desirable in vivo effects of this fibre supplement."

Highly viscous guar gum shifts dietary amino acids... [Br J Nutr. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

Now all I have to find out, figure out, is which type of guar gum is used in [each] cat food. I probably have a website for that already, it just takes time. I think for sport though, I'll call some pet food customer service centers (again, when I have time) and ask them first. I'll let them to get back to me when they know the answer.
Thanks Leanan. I've had to make my peace with guar gum, (and pea flour and even menadione sodium bisulfates as the last ingredient) for now, but am glad you are doing some digging for us.

These types of ingredients are one of the reasons I feed my cats partial raw diet. So at least they aren't getting this kind of stuff with every meal, you know?

And Wildnfree, it's also another reason to feed a rotation. If you can't get completely away from certain things, you can feed at least some foods that don't have some things anyway. It can drive you crazy, I know it often does me, but adding in the raw has helped a lot. Has helped my cats, and has helped my own peace of mind.

Old 11-30-2012, 12:09 PM

1,015 posts, read 2,423,914 times
Leanan, thank you for bringing up the sources. I'll have to be like catsmom and make peace too.

Catsmom, I wouldn't mind doing a raw diet with my cat ( like my dogs ) but apparently they are a bit more picker than dogs, plus it seems as though they require more vitamins and nutrients. However I think I will do the hamburger once in a while when I feed the dog(s). Until then I will just continue with the rotations with the foods as instructed.

Old 11-30-2012, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildnFree View Post
Leanan, thank you for bringing up the sources. I'll have to be like catsmom and make peace too.

Catsmom, I wouldn't mind doing a raw diet with my cat ( like my dogs ) but apparently they are a bit more picker than dogs, plus it seems as though they require more vitamins and nutrients. However I think I will do the hamburger once in a while when I feed the dog(s). Until then I will just continue with the rotations with the foods as instructed.
It took about 6 months totally to transition my cats to a raw diet. It took a couple of years for ME to be ready, before I started, but with raw fed dogs, you are already half way there! I went at their speed not mine My are only about half raw fed, give or take depending on the cat, combo of commercial and home made prey model, the other half canned.

There isn't anything wrong with starting with a little taste of raw now and then to get him use to it. The important thing to remember is that anything unbalanced should be kept to less than 15% of his total daily intake. This is because the balance between phosphorus and calcium is very important in a cat's diet.

There is a lot more to it than that of course, as you've guessed, and if you do decide to go with raw I can direct you to some useful web links. I'm no expert, but am satisfied with the regimen I've got my girls on, for now. (that will probably change as time passes)

Old 11-30-2012, 07:42 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,322,556 times
By Nature Organics is also very good. I used to get it at Petsmart, but they don't carry it anymore. PetPeople has it, but they've been bought out by Petco, so they probably won't have it anymore. I just buy a can of each flavor at a time, because I don't want to order cases of food.

Old 11-30-2012, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
By Nature Organics is also very good. I used to get it at Petsmart, but they don't carry it anymore. PetPeople has it, but they've been bought out by Petco, so they probably won't have it anymore. I just buy a can of each flavor at a time, because I don't want to order cases of food.
That's the canned brand I use most often. It does NOT contain carrageenan, though some of the on line stores list it in the ingredients, it is an error I have been nagging them to fix. Really the only questionable items are organic pea flour, organic guar gum and that darn menadione sodium bisulfate (artificial vitamin K). I hate that stuff, but it is listed as the last ingredient....and I have had to make my peace with it, for now.

I buy all my canned food on line. (there is no local source for anything good)

Old 12-01-2012, 01:44 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,322,556 times
If I could order a few cans at a time, I would. But for me, buying by the case is impossible.

Old 12-01-2012, 05:20 PM

1,015 posts, read 2,423,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
It took about 6 months totally to transition my cats to a raw diet. It took a couple of years for ME to be ready, before I started, but with raw fed dogs, you are already half way there! I went at their speed not mine My are only about half raw fed, give or take depending on the cat, combo of commercial and home made prey model, the other half canned.

There isn't anything wrong with starting with a little taste of raw now and then to get him use to it. The important thing to remember is that anything unbalanced should be kept to less than 15% of his total daily intake. This is because the balance between phosphorus and calcium is very important in a cat's diet.

There is a lot more to it than that of course, as you've guessed, and if you do decide to go with raw I can direct you to some useful web links. I'm no expert, but am satisfied with the regimen I've got my girls on, for now. (that will probably change as time passes)
Ha thanks, I've done raw with the dogs for 8 years now and I still learn new things. If you have the links I would love to read them. Eventually I would like
everything in the home to be raw fed it would make things easier.

I don't have a meat grinder so that's why I didn't push the raw on my cat. I just noticed he was in my dogs bowl one day eating the leftover raw hamburger. I started giving him some as a treat and he just devoured it. So when I do prepare hamburger he gets a serving.

One more thing is there anything I can give my kitty for his coat/skin? He's still biting and scratching.

Moved I agree I might just have to buy a couple of cans, along with some others.

Old 12-01-2012, 06:37 PM

Krill oil for coat and skin.

You don't need a grinder if you feed prey model. I don't feed home made raw ground, I feed prey model. I use a calcium supplement instead of bone, but that is a personal preference.

A few links to get you started.

CatCentric.org - Raw Feeding

Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health (I think you have been given this link before, Dr Pierson is a wealth of information on feline diet)

Feline Nutrition

Other vets who promote raw feeding are Dr Elizabeth Hodgkins, Dr Karen Becker, and Dr Jean Hofva, you can google for info from them, they have a lot of articles floating around, some are on commercial sites (selling something) but not all.

PS I am just now starting to use a digestive enzyme with one of my cats. It's only been 8 days, but I am extremely happy with the results so far. And I am one of those who thinks all cats should be taking a probiotic, raw fed or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats