Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2012, 06:09 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,614,318 times

Advertisements

Hey all, I'm trying to figure Southwest vs other airlines & their cat requirements.

I called them today & Southwest does NOT need any health certificates (unlike other airlines it seems? does anyone know for sure?) Also, as long as carrier fits under seat it matters not the carrier type. Ok, this is too easy vs other airlines. I thought that to fly from AZ to Boston, "she'd need a Rabies update shot in past 12 months", said my vet when asked about this. She says every state has different laws regards pets landing in their states. Yet Southwest claims that is not true nor needed for their air travel.

Ok, now I'm totally lost here. Can anyone who's ever used Southwest comment on how many items we can take on, w/ the cat carrier being one item? I have 2 long guitars & also a travel bag. My g/f will carry one guitar & the travel bag. I'll carryon the cat & other guitar. Both guitars will fit overhead, I hope. But the cat & travel bag must go under each our seats, yes?

Thanks for any help you all can render.

By the I'm thinking of the Amazon website's 'Sherpa Med. Black Deluxe' $38 pet carrier? It is Southwest-approved. Also, I'm unsure yet re: the Rabies shot needed, as I'd rather not since she had a 2nd shot in '10 (1st was in '09 when we found her as a stray) but that was before I knew NOT to give them unless you have no choice. I'm not big on vaccines if a cat is an only cat & indoors only.

Last edited by movintime; 11-28-2012 at 06:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 06:22 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,278,987 times
. I thought that to fly from AZ to Boston, "she'd need a Rabies update shot in past 12 months", said my vet when asked about this. She says every state has different laws regards pets .

It's Massachusetts that's the problem, not the airline. I was forced to get Sophie a rabies shot in order to get her groomed when I first arrived here.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 11-28-2012, 07:54 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,614,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
. I thought that to fly from AZ to Boston, "she'd need a Rabies update shot in past 12 months", said my vet when asked about this. She says every state has different laws regards pets .

It's Massachusetts that's the problem, not the airline. I was forced to get Sophie a rabies shot in order to get her groomed when I first arrived here.
Nancy, does she need rabies shot just to land? We'll be driving north to Maine the next day, & not staying but one night in Mass. Thanks.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:51 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,655,128 times
It's not clear to me who would check on that as far as the state regulations, but I'm not sure I would take the chance of a quarantine either. I think I'd go with the shot's risk vs the possible quarantine or other similar risk in the event of routine checks, escape, etc, but you can of course read up on both of the states' requirements first.

I can't remember if the other airlines typically police this much or not. I really don't know off the top of my head.

Make sure you follow the airline reservation requirements as well as the bag requirements, of course. Even on Southwest I believe there is a maximum number of carry-on pets per plane. I have a Sherpa bag that I need to get rid of actually, was going to donate it to shelter or something. If that is the right size it is quite roomy. In fact I think it was too open and roomy for Amber (never flew with it, just got it as a carrier to vet, but she had trouble with that one).

Old 11-29-2012, 10:22 AM

2,087 posts, read 4,285,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
Nancy, does she need rabies shot just to land? We'll be driving north to Maine the next day, & not staying but one night in Mass. Thanks.
I was a flight attendant for a large US carrier and although I don't know the paperwork, shots etc. required to Board the aircraft, I can assure you that once your On the aircraft, no one will be checking any paperwork, and that includes when you get off the plane.

I would try and check directly with Boston's Logan Airport (I assume that is where you're planning to land) Don't give your info, just ask what the airport requires from each airline. Ask specifically about the rabies shot. I wouldn't give my cat another rabies shot, Period.

I don't know what other ways you might be able to plan your trip, different airport, different state, IF Mass is going to be a problem.

I would look for a chat room for airlines employees, and ask there. I'm leaving my home for awhile but could look for one later, if you can't find one.

What I have found to be true 99% of the time is, that gate agents interpret the company rules and regulations based on some personal criteria/agenda of their own. So get a copy of the rules you are complying with, based on previous contact with the airline, but only show them if there is a problem at the gate.

The cat Must go under the seat, and remain under the seat, the entire flight. Not on the seat during the flight, not head poking out of the bag from under the seat.

I'm sure you could check on her throughout the flight, but not by taking her out of the bag.
That being said, it will depend on your flight crew and the surrounding passenger tolerance or allergies to (and there is always one passenger who throws a fit about an animal on board, that's the flight attendants problem, not yours) how far you could push the requirement. My suggestion is follow the rules, and keep your head/profile down, and enjoy your flight without worrying about getting caught.

Last edited by leanansidhex; 11-29-2012 at 10:23 AM.. Reason: add

Old 11-29-2012, 10:41 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,107,581 times
I flew Southwest with my small dog a few months ago and I think the requirements are the same for cats and dogs. They don't require any paperwork or proof of vaccinations. I got my carrier at Petsmart and it was fine. All you have to do is call SW ahead of time and let them know you need to make a pet reservation. When you get to the airport you check in at the counter, pay the 75 dollar pet fee, and they'll make a tag for your carrier. I had to hold my dog and walk through the metal detector, and the carrier had to go through with the other luggage. You're allowed one personal item and the pet carrier acts as your carry on. So I had the pet carrier and my purse. It really was easy and I can't imagine you'll have any problems.

Old 11-29-2012, 02:11 PM

2,087 posts, read 4,285,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
I flew Southwest with my small dog a few months ago and I think the requirements are the same for cats and dogs. They don't require any paperwork or proof of vaccinations. I got my carrier at Petsmart and it was fine. All you have to do is call SW ahead of time and let them know you need to make a pet reservation. When you get to the airport you check in at the counter, pay the 75 dollar pet fee, and they'll make a tag for your carrier. I had to hold my dog and walk through the metal detector, and the carrier had to go through with the other luggage. You're allowed one personal item and the pet carrier acts as your carry on. So I had the pet carrier and my purse. It really was easy and I can't imagine you'll have any problems.
Not only has strawberry Just flown Southwest, that sounds much more likely than you having to have a bunch of paperwork etc.

I thought the airline told you they needed all of that paperwork.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats