Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 06:24 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,987,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I had that happen. We have a 3 story house. Does your cat have a favorite treat??
When my cat did that... I literally stood on my lawn, where I could see him, and he me...and shook the can of cat treats. He made a bee line right down to me. Make sure his collar didn't catch on something. Good luck, scarey situation.
He jumped down 3 stories and wasn't hurt? That's truly incredible.

Quote:
Hopefully the dog is in a back area. Poor cat, he is terrified...fear of being prey. Attach a fake mouse to a string....throw it up and temp him to follow it. Have a kid there to grab him at roof line. The only way, otherwise because of his terror, might be to scare him off the roof. Sounds mean...but might work. Did you cal humane society, maybe they will help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2012, 07:33 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,062,587 times
not the best way to do it but it can be done

Cat Leaps Off Telephone Pole - YouTube

Old 12-03-2012, 07:36 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,818,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
How can he safely come down from a roof? A jump can be fatal or at the least break his jaw, some teeth or even his front legs.
His jump would have been less than 10ft once he came part way down the tree.

Quote:
If you're thinking he can come down a tree like a squirrel, you're wrong. It looks like you need to borrow or buy a ladder that will hold 300lbs or more.
We have live oaks here, they never grow straight so it would have been easy for him to climb down. However, my guess is he narrowly escaped the dog and was probably terrified.

The guy who owned the house he was on knew someone that was comfortable with heights/ladders and he got him down. The cat was waiting at my back door when I got home from work. So I let him in, got about 15 seconds of affection from him, he went and ate/got some water........and wanted to go back outside again (hell no!).

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:17 AM

10,049 posts, read 18,062,046 times
So glad he is back, safe and sound! But PLEASE consider making him an indoor-only kitty -- they live on average about 3-4 times longer than outdoor cats.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:59 AM

1,122 posts, read 3,504,750 times
I have a cat that will sit by the front door crying to get out (he lived on the street for years before I got him) so to compromise he gets to go out on a 30 foot leash and harness and he's pretty satisfied with it. I sit out there with him or I watch him from the window frequently. It's not the same as roaming around the neighborhood and climbing in trees but he does get to eat grass, chase bugs and feel some wind in his fur. Sometimes we go for a walk on the long leash so he gets to see some other things and climb small trees (it's more standing and sniffing than walking but in time we do get down the street). He wears the harness all the time so that I can just hook him up to the leash when he's crying by the door. Maybe you can do something similar with your cat so he won't actually be caught by the dog next time or freak out and instead of running up on a roof runs into oncoming traffic. One of the top causes of death in American cats is being hit by a car. He's so much safer and happier, in the long run, as an inside cat that goes out under controlled circumstances.

Old 12-04-2012, 12:02 PM

1,122 posts, read 3,504,750 times
Quote:
He jumped down 3 stories and wasn't hurt? That's truly incredible.
My childhood cat fell down from a third story balcony and all he hurt was one claw. He was more freaked out than hurt. The next day he was back up on the railing and he lived for another ten years and never fell again. He had also been hit by a car and had asthma. That cat truly had nine lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats