Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2008, 01:07 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,120,127 times

Advertisements

Just wanted to see if any one else has ever experienced this...our nearly 2 year old baby Munchkin started limping yesterday on three legs and refused to use his front left paw. I left the house for about 4 hours to run errands and when I came back I was freaking out trying to find out what was wrong with the poor thing. I thought maybe he had dislocated his nail (which has happened to our other cat before) but upon further examination his pads on the bottom of his foot were extremely swollen. So, I rush him to the vet being the paronoid catmom I am and they said his paw was irritated and may be a skin infection. He got a shot of Dexamethasone and antibiotics. We were told to give him his own paper filled litter box and bring him back on Saturday. He is doing MUCH better today and is walking on all 4 legs and the swelling has gone down. I am trying to figure out WHAT HAPPENED...what could he have gotten into so this doesnt happen again. He is NOT an outdoor cat and nothing has changed in the house to bring this on. I am at a loss...any ideas?? Some people baby proof their house, we pet proof it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 01:37 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,261,866 times
He sure is pretty...er...handsome? I can't tell from the pic...Is his name Munchkin or he is a Munchkin?
Do you think maybe he could have gotten bit by a spider or something?
Glad to hear he is already on the mend!

Old 09-04-2008, 01:54 PM

The doctor was not sure what caused it, she said it could be anything that is why I am at such a loss. He is a little boy, Munchkin is his name but we call him Munchie. He was a little sickly stray kitten (probably about 9 weeks) who we adopted and nursed back to life. He had a really bad respiratory infection a few weeks after we adopted him (and we had JUST finally put some weight on the little guy before he got sick again). He had to get all kinds of breathing treatments and it cost us hundreds of dollars...the vets all probably thought we were crazy but we figured someone already gave up on the poor guy once and we were not going to let that happen again. He has brought up tons of joy and I just dont want him to be at risk of getting hurt again, or my other 2 cats. Thanks for any ideas you all may have!

Old 09-05-2008, 08:50 AM

376 posts, read 1,803,439 times
Could he have gotten stung by a bee? I had a cat that would purposely go up into the attic to sit in the windows up there - we always got a few bees in the summer when the windows were open -- and he would chase them. You would think that after a few swollen lips and puffy paws he would have learned..... He never had any seriously adverse reactions though, and he enjoyed being up there so much we never had the heart to limit access.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:16 AM

41,716 posts, read 74,654,678 times
Did the vet not find any cuts or punctures on his pads? That would be my first thought -- that he was cut or stung, etc.

Hope he's doing better. Keep us posted.

Old 09-05-2008, 03:29 PM

I wonder about the bugs..he got his Munchie nickname cause he will eat anything, he loves a good fly or moth chase. And the vet didnt see cuts or punctures. His little paw mits were really swollen, it was weird. He wouldnt let you mess with them too much and he has really long hair inbetween all his toes. We checked his nails and they were all fine. He is doing well, no more limping and taking his meds and he goes back to the vet tomorrow for a follow up.

Old 09-06-2008, 03:54 PM

Munchie is A-okay and gets the thumbs up from his vet. She said he looks much better today and there is no temp. I am going to keep giving him his meds through Tuesday and pray to god that he keeps himself out of whatever caused this in the first place. Thanks for all your feedback (and kind words/support!)

Old 12-12-2012, 10:25 PM

1 posts, read 5,494 times
I have have a two month old Kitten Named Marcos I just found him yesterday and he's a Tabby and didn't have the heart to turn my back on him anyway I can't remember if he was limping the day before but I took him home fed him, gave some water gave him a pet bed and went out to by cat litter and food. Any way I returned home and he was following me around the house jumping on the counters as he did yesterday and was ok as he was yesterday..... my husband brought the fact he was limping to my attention earlier this afternoon I noticed his paw was swollen but can't find a wound no cut , no sting for the life of me I am worried about him please if some one knows whats wrong help me help him I don't have alot of money to take him to the vet but I would do what I can with any means if any one knows of some home remedies I would love to hear em thanks keep me posted.

Monique, Phoenix AZ

Old 12-13-2012, 04:21 PM

1,297 posts, read 1,808,294 times
Aaah, what great looking kitty cat! Very happy all is well with him and his paw.
Monique:
Wish I had some helpful info about your baby kitty issue - the only thing I can think of is when one of my kitties was just a kitten he jumped off the bed and injured one of his paws. I don't remember the pads being swollen but maybe we just didn't look closely enough.
Anyway, it took a couple of weeks for him to completely recover (we made certain he didn't jump from anything else) and all ended well.
If it looks like you really need to take your kitten to the vet try checking with rescue groups for a referral and see if that will help keep the cost down.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats