Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 07:58 AM

152 posts, read 250,400 times

Advertisements

well, about ten days ago, the first night of a storm that lasted about 3 days, when i went to check my mail, i saw a cat sitting on a cushion, barely out of the rain, it was getting a little wet but it was just laying there. i patted it on the head and it got up to visit with me, and i saw that it was skin and bones. i thought to myself, this cat will die during this storm, so i took it up and brought it to my apartment.

i got it a litter box, some food etc. the thing is, i let it lay on the bed with me, and it peed, like 3 different times, so i had to take all my bedclothes off, and since i dont have any money till friday, there i am laying on a bed with no sheets/blankets, and its been like 30s/40s for the low at night.. eventually i'll have to flip the mattress, but not till i know she wont pee on that side too. also, my dirty laundry, she peed on it, so here i have a huge load of dirty laundry/sheets etc, that smell like pee...

it uses the litter box, but sometimes for whatever reason, it just sh*ts in the middle of the living room floor, and of course i have to clean it up. i see now that it will take an emormous amount of work to keep this place clean and sanitary, and not stinking.

also for whatever reason, she likes to kinda take a nap/sleep, with her face right in her waterbowl.. this of course causes water to overflow from the bowl and get on her food, and on that part of the kitchen floor, so i have to come through, take up the bowls, dry/clean that part of the floor, put down new paper, and lay her bowls back out..

part of me wishes id not have gotten her, but i know if i hadnt she'd be dead now.. i cant turn her back out that would be cruel, but helping her, is causing me alot of work/trouble, its taking alot of work to keep my apartment sanitary with her here

any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 08:04 AM

i think someone abused this cat or something, it is very skinny and acts weird, it has no animation, it walks around, and kinda just looks at me, i think its in shock or something. it is very affectionate though.

i keep wondering if its going to live, because it is so skinny, but ive had her for 9 days now and she eats and drinks plenty of water

Old 12-12-2012, 08:26 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
isn't there any way you can get her to a vet? cats are so clean, it is unusual for one to wet itself and poop and pee not in the litter box. seems to me she is very sick, maybe with worms, or something serious. please get her the professional care she needs.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:49 AM

no can do - i cant afford a vet, all i can offer is food water and a dry quiet place to sleep. i actually called around to some vets, and they said your options are basically to take her to a shelter, or pay a vet- that there were no places thatll do vet work for free

Old 12-12-2012, 08:54 AM

12,477 posts, read 17,793,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vapour_trail View Post
no can do - i cant afford a vet, all i can offer is food water and a dry quiet place to sleep. i actually called around to some vets, and they said your options are basically to take her to a shelter, or pay a vet- that there were no places thatll do vet work for free

I would take her to a no kill shelter. They can and will see to her medical needs. It seems best for her and for you. Bless you for taking her in and trying.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:05 AM

i found a no-kill shelter in the sacramento area

Contact Us | Happy Tails - Pet Sanctuary

i'll give them a call when i get back from the dentist, and see what it's all about

she is a very affectionate cat.. i kinda dont like to touch her sides because it makes me uncomfortable how skinny she is, but she has been eating plenty for a week and a half, maybe she can make it yet

thanks guys for the suggestions

Old 12-12-2012, 11:12 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,655,128 times
Good, I think that Happy Tails outfit should be able to help you get a low or no-cost basic vet exam for the cat. Just explain to them how you came to have her and that will give some idea of things for them to look for. If they can't actually help they should at least know of some other resource that will.

If you have any single room that you can close off with the cat and litter box in it, preferably not your own bedroom as there are too many other enticing things in there, even if it's just the bathroom, that might help her get the idea of the litter box a little better. If she's been outside a lot she may not understand the concept of litter box all that well.

What you described about sleeping at the water bowl sounds like something could be wrong. Can't imagine that one being normal. Certainly after some period of malnourishment and being outside any number of things could be wrong.

Good luck, let us know what you find out.

Old 12-12-2012, 12:00 PM

after getting back from the dentist i called the happy tails place, theyve said they are full and cannot take animals at this time.. anybody have any ideas for other no-kill shelters in the sacramento area? seems ive got myself into a situation here, but i wont turn her out on the street and neither will i take her to a shelter that will kill her

Old 12-12-2012, 12:45 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,793,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vapour_trail View Post
after getting back from the dentist i called the happy tails place, theyve said they are full and cannot take animals at this time.. anybody have any ideas for other no-kill shelters in the sacramento area? seems ive got myself into a situation here, but i wont turn her out on the street and neither will i take her to a shelter that will kill her

Sacramento Animal rescue | Animal rescue in Sacramento, CA - YP.com

you don't have a lot of options,seeing as how you can't take her to a vet. It's so important to remember that being a pet parents can be very costly. This cat appears to be very ill,based on what you've stated. She needs help ASAP or she will die anyway. Cats can die very quickly and are prone to getting very serious disorders.

Old 12-12-2012, 12:49 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,183,468 times
1) Put her in the bathroom -- where missing the little box won't be that big of an issue -- with a litter box, some food and water, and a fluffy blanket or towel to curl up on. But be sure to visit her often, pet her, and reassure her that you're still there for her. Put her water in a bowl where she'd be uncomfortable sleeping with her face in it (although I've seen cats sleep in some seemingly darn uncomfortable-looking positions!).

It will take her awhile to fill out; sounds like she hasn't had any food in awhile! Poor thing.

2) Call the shelter back and ask them for any ideas about getting her to a low-cost vet or other rescues or no-kill shelters that might be able to help you. Make sure you tell them how you found her, how long you've had her, and the issues she's having. Don't take no for an answer.

Thanks for caring for her!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats