Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2012, 07:02 AM

7,493 posts, read 7,173,762 times

Advertisements

I feed both my cats predominantly BF canned and Wellness canned, but at night it doesn't seem to last them all night so I give them just a tiny bit of dry food to hold them to morning.

Up to now I have been using Wellness Dry and then switched to Wellness Core Indoor formula. I had looked before at the BF Chicken Dry Food, but haven't tried it yet.

Curious if it is comparable to Wellness Core Indoor formula; cost, quality, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 07:52 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,655,128 times
I've been feeding half Orijen, half Nature's Logic chicken for the dry meal. (I would get the rabbit but the store didn't have a fresh bag but they had a fresh bag of chicken.) I'll probably go back to having the Wysong Epigen in the mix too but it was hectic and didn't order it in time. Have to get that shipped, don't find it in a store, at least not where I trust it to be fresh enough.

I've picked up the bag of Before Grain a number of times, but I usually feel like it has too much potato or something. It's a balancing act. We know that anything in a big is already a pretty big compromise. So then it's like okay, do you want to avoid potato most, or avoid fish most, or so forth. Nature's Logic actually has grain in it (millet) but it seems a modestly better idea to me than a ton of potato. Even the regular Orijen has a fair amount of salmon in it. Salmon is a relatively safe fish as compared to, say, tuna, but fish is still not a great idea.

I think about it often but I've generally come to terms that with a picky 16.5 year old cat I am only going to do so much, at least for now. I don't have the energy to push for more wet/raw food at the moment. Night meal is still from a can but still typically has a lot of tuna in it and she sometimes eats rather little of it.

Old 12-14-2012, 09:55 AM

So regarding Before Grain Chicken Dry Food, is it comparable to Wellness Core Indoor formula; cost, quality, etc.

Old 12-14-2012, 10:37 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,322,556 times
I give mine Blue Buffalo, and they love it! It was $16.99 for a 7lb bag. The first ingredient is deboned chicken.

Old 12-14-2012, 01:50 PM

Great to hear, but on topic, how do Before Grain Chicken Dry Food compare with Wellness Core Indoor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
I give mine Blue Buffalo, and they love it! It was $16.99 for a 7lb bag. The first ingredient is deboned chicken.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:58 PM

I fed some Wellness Core in the past but gave it up as I don't really trust them as much. Same with Blue Buffalo. Also Amber seemed not to like either of these as much, oddly enough.

The comparison is not a super useful thing. I mean, compare this half-rotten piece of lumber to that half-rotten piece of lumber. Well, let's see, hm, I guess that one is a tiny bit less rotten. Should we use that one in our building project?

That is basically the comparison you're going for here. You just have to wing it and hope for the best. We're talking dry foods. They all suck for cats. Maybe, arguably, some suck a tiny bit less, but the two you have in question aren't really appreciably different to my mind.

You'd be better off digging into Truth About Pet Food and similar trying to find out if either of these is made in any of the plants that have had recalls recently. That is a difference that might actually matter.

Old 12-15-2012, 12:05 PM

Thanks, I guess, but looking for a little constructive feedback; ingredient comparison, those actually using the products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
I fed some Wellness Core in the past but gave it up as I don't really trust them as much. Same with Blue Buffalo. Also Amber seemed not to like either of these as much, oddly enough.

The comparison is not a super useful thing. I mean, compare this half-rotten piece of lumber to that half-rotten piece of lumber. Well, let's see, hm, I guess that one is a tiny bit less rotten. Should we use that one in our building project?

That is basically the comparison you're going for here. You just have to wing it and hope for the best. We're talking dry foods. They all suck for cats. Maybe, arguably, some suck a tiny bit less, but the two you have in question aren't really appreciably different to my mind.

You'd be better off digging into Truth About Pet Food and similar trying to find out if either of these is made in any of the plants that have had recalls recently. That is a difference that might actually matter.

Old 12-16-2012, 02:31 AM

2,087 posts, read 4,285,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post

OP I understand what your looking for.

Ingredient comparisons from people actually using the products.

What you got was constructive feedback.

Old 12-16-2012, 05:24 AM

Exactly instead of someone saying I tried a product but then gave up on it cause I don't trust them. Please, you have to be able to see the good and bad in a product to provide truly constructive feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leanansidhex View Post
OP I understand what your looking for.

Ingredient comparisons from people actually using the products.

Old 12-16-2012, 09:04 AM

Sorry, I wasn't meaning to sound harsh or that I'm not answering the question. I puzzle over these kinds of things myself you see, so sometimes it's like dumping the thoughts out of my head. Maybe they don't always make any sense to others.

Anyway, the likelihood that you get anyone on here who has tried these products AND has a distinct interest in the minute differences in the ingredients is very low. Most people reading regularly are not into discussing the relative merits of any dry food.

The main differences in ingredients in these particular foods only matter, in my opinion obviously, if you suspect that a cat you are feeding has some kind of sensitivity. Then it is just a matter of avoiding or trial and error to try to figure out what is wrong. This is why I jump to comparing other aspects of the food, such as the safety record of their manufacturing, the transparency about the source and safety of their ingredients, etc. I believe there is more significant differentiation in these areas than in the actual ingredients of the two foods.

Does that make sense? I say this as someone who did spend a lot of time reading about pet food. Although I won't proclaim to be anything like an expert or even that I've continuously read more. This is just my general conclusion about what is most important in commercial food. I believe comparing small differences in the ingredients is probably a waste of time. And when you do, it's really something you'll have to conclude on your own.

I will say, that when I get to "xyz FLAVOR", as it says in the Before Grain ("Natural Chicken & Pork Flavor") it gives me pause. I find that a little odd and not necessarily appropriate. But that is me.

Hope maybe that helps a little more than last time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats