Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 06:36 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,708,515 times

Advertisements

Interesting that you mention this. I saw this in the supermarket, and thot about trying it. Thot it was a new product, apparently not.
Now that I see your rec, I'm going to give it a try.

I just can't afford to go to the most expensive solution for my cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Have you tried the Silicon litters (i.e. Litter Pearls)? They are pricey, and you CANNOT go with the "knockoff" brands, or you'll end up with an inch of pee on the bottom... but if you go for the good brands, it's dust-free and relatively smell-free for up to a month with one cat. I stopped using it because I have 3 cats, and just couldn't justify spending that kind of money - since it has to be changed every 1.5-2 weeks with that number of cats @ $14/bag. Might work for you, though!

P.S. I switched to World's Best Cat Litter instead, which isn't super dusty, but also not what I would call "dust free."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 06:39 AM

Default your funny active kitten

You are making me laugh with yr description of yr kitty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I found a semi-solution to the "litter ALL OVER THE PLACE" issue.

I put a tall plastic box next to the litterbox and put it all the way in the corner, basically placing obstacles in his way so he can't take a flying leap out into the middle of the room, leaving a trail of cat litter in his wake. He can now either step out of the narrow end and make a 90 degree turn to get out into the room, or hop up on the top of the plastic container (which I'm now using to store his fresh new litter) to get out. Seems to be keeping the mess down a LOT.

I also bought a cheap little canister stick-vac to keep nearby just as a quick cleanup for when it's needed.

Thought I was being clever by giving him 2 litterboxes, one upstairs & one in the basement. Turns out he has informed me he only needs one, as he's been pottying in the one and sleeping in the other. So I replaced box #2 with a cat bed.

He's training me. It takes time. I'm ONLY human.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:27 AM

20,364 posts, read 14,636,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenrr View Post
You are making me laugh with yr description of yr kitty.
Yeah, he is a silly boy. I was trying to climb the stairs from the basement with a basket of laundry in one arm and a bag of trash in the other hand this morning, and Nimbus attached to my leg with all claws and chewing on my knee. lol Crazy kitteh!!

So about litter, at this point in time, we're all doing well with any product that is:

-Clay
-Unscented
-Clumping
-"Dust free" (usually "99% dust free" or whatever.)

Which one I buy depends on where I'm shopping.

Walmart--Cat's Pride in the green jug
Petsmart--Dr. Elsey's in the blue bag
Petco--The refillable jug store brand (actually worked well for us.)

Oddly I bought a second container of Cat's Pride not too long ago and found it to be much finer particles than what I remember the first jug I bought some weeks ago...wonder if they changed it or there is variance in the lots or batches of the product. I've been mixing it with Dr. Elsey's. I haven't smelled or detected dust as an issue with any of these litters.

But it is also relevent to say that I use an uncovered litterpan and scoop every morning. So yeah, your mileage may vary.

Old 04-27-2013, 03:17 AM

Someone in another thread

[SIZE=2]//www.city-data.com/forum/cats/...ty-litter.html
[/SIZE]
also suggested difference in the litter from time to a different time.

My experience w/Petco brand is that it was very dusty - unfortunately, bec. the price is good, and everything else about it was good.

I'm hoping that kitty and me both like Greatest Litter, bec. that is available in the supermarket, and for Dr Eisley I have to travel quite a way.

Maybe I'll try mixing brands. Maybe if I mix something w?Dr Eisley, I can use it, bec. so far i like it the best re dust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
So about litter, at this point in time, we're all doing well with any product that is:

-Clay
-Unscented
-Clumping
-"Dust free" (usually "99% dust free" or whatever.)

Which one I buy depends on where I'm shopping.

Walmart--Cat's Pride in the green jug
Petsmart--Dr. Elsey's in the blue bag
Petco--The refillable jug store brand (actually worked well for us.)

Oddly I bought a second container of Cat's Pride not too long ago and found it to be much finer particles than what I remember the first jug I bought some weeks ago...wonder if they changed it or there is variance in the lots or batches of the product. I've been mixing it with Dr. Elsey's. I haven't smelled or detected dust as an issue with any of these litters.

But it is also relevent to say that I use an uncovered litterpan and scoop every morning. So yeah, your mileage may vary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats