Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 10:14 AM

2,873 posts, read 5,851,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Anne View Post
I didn't realize that you are a vet tech. Oh, boy, that's interesting! May I ask this?: What about a really good vet tech that you know would do a great job with JJ?

Yes, you absolutely do need that time. I am sorry, I missed this: Is JJ quite elderly now? Will it only be a few more years before you will have the freedom to go on family vacations? Because that is quite a loss for you!

I know I badly need my vacations (5 or 6 days, we drive to Massachusetts to be with family and friends) every year or year and a half or else I feel deprived. We now have 10 cats and some outsiders who depend upon us.
JJ is only eight and will hopefully be around for a LONG time to come. His blindness is due to a very bad herpes infection when he was a stray kitten, not old age.

I certainly have many contacts among vet techs who I would trust with JJ...the problem is that I don't trust him with them! JJ is a semi-reformed feral and can be VERY aggressive with people he's not familiar with. I can do anything to him without problems...I can clip his nails alone, give him inhalers, pill him, give him SQ fluids...but he turns into a devil for 'strangers' (which basically means anyone he doesn't live with, even if he has met them before.) Though...maybe I can have someone come by every night just to talk Mom through the process and make sure she's not forgetting anything. That way JJ has the comfort of someone he trusts giving the medication, and I have the comfort of knowing she's not giving the inhalers out of order or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2012, 09:14 AM

2,280 posts, read 4,515,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
JJ is only eight and will hopefully be around for a LONG time to come. His blindness is due to a very bad herpes infection when he was a stray kitten, not old age.

I certainly have many contacts among vet techs who I would trust with JJ...the problem is that I don't trust him with them! JJ is a semi-reformed feral and can be VERY aggressive with people he's not familiar with. I can do anything to him without problems...I can clip his nails alone, give him inhalers, pill him, give him SQ fluids...but he turns into a devil for 'strangers' (which basically means anyone he doesn't live with, even if he has met them before.) Though...maybe I can have someone come by every night just to talk Mom through the process and make sure she's not forgetting anything. That way JJ has the comfort of someone he trusts giving the medication, and I have the comfort of knowing she's not giving the inhalers out of order or something.
I understand now. I truly do. I have at least 2 guys here who were semi-ferals and my husband cannot touch them: I can carry them, restrain them, the whole thing. I just forget that I am the only one who can even approach them since he does the litter boxes (12, he's a saint) and the water bowls and I do everything else.

What you have been doing for JJ: I have no words. I am deeply deeply impressed and in admiration so much!

Old 12-30-2012, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
We used a company (owned by a local lady who keeps her finger very much into it and knows all the clients herself). Bonded an insured is the way to go.

80 bucks a day to do breakfast, dinner, and then stay overnight (with letting the animals out three times, correspondingly).

Otherwise 16 bucks a visit for feeding or walking, etc.

I just saw another company rolled into town and had their signs up at the dog wash - they wanted 18 bucks a visit. Visits are about 15 minutes.

Our sitter stayed the night. She would collect our mail and organize it, take care of the dogs, and she would even leave us a nice detailed letter outlining how things went when we were gone. She said if the yard was clean, she would scoop poop.

One customer was really lucky she had them coming over to sit the pets at home - while they were gone, a pipe burst, and this lady and the company handled everything.
What a great situation you have, and your dogs are safe at home!

Old 12-31-2012, 06:27 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Anne View Post
What a great situation you have, and your dogs are safe at home!
Yes. Their schedule isn't interrupted and we feel safe about our house...also, with 4 dogs (then - we have 3 now), the boarding would have cost WAY more than 80 bucks.

Old 12-31-2012, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Yes. Their schedule isn't interrupted and we feel safe about our house...also, with 4 dogs (then - we have 3 now), the boarding would have cost WAY more than 80 bucks.
Exactly. We had 4 dogs and a foster dog, often 2 at a time, and never boarded them. We always had someone here. Usually, it's far safer for the dogs (not meaning the house, the dogs themselves) with a reliable, caring sitter. Not to mention much less stressful for the animals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats