U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 10:21 AM

2,274 posts, read 4,060,177 times

Advertisements

Hi Folks,

One of our cats in particular was on S/O dry which I finally decided to take him off (hate dry food) and so far so good, no new crystals for 4 years, and he gets as much wet as I can get into him but prefers dry.

But then I discovered he will eat Weruva wet, the chicken varieties, and he refuses Natural Balance wet, all flavors, as well as most Wellness wet, Science Diet wet a little he will eat, etc.

So, I am thinking of giving him lots of Weruva wet from now on, to cut off the dry he goes after (I used NB and Royal Canin dry with him on top of Wellness wet because that way I could get him to eat at least a little wet! It has been a frustrating situation!)

Any comments? My main question is this: Do you like Weruva, nutritionally speaking? I use the chicken with pumpkin, chicken with vegs, etc. This would be his main diet. What do you all say? It's either that or Friskies wet which I know is worse, or he might eat some Wellness Chicken and Herring or Turkey (yes, I know I am supposed to avoid fish, he will not eat the straight chicken and I am not able to get him to eat much turkey), and then there is the Science Diet turkey giblets but he won't eat other flavors of Sci Diet wet, and then I am stuck with dry NB or RC and he will NOT eat the wet NB, any flavor.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2012, 10:56 AM

23,897 posts, read 37,083,650 times
I have spent the better part of the past few months studying all of the wet canned foods for the same reason and can tell you Weruva is an excellent product that is well-recommended by the knowledgable staff at my local pet store. Stick with what works....especially if it's nutritious and lacking in fillers, has a high moisture count (around 80%) and is poultry based. Best of luck with continued good health, I know it's a big relief once achieved.

Old 12-29-2012, 01:55 PM

9,918 posts, read 22,962,452 times
Weruva is a high quality food. The main knocks that I know of are that there are a lot of fish varieties (but you can avoid those), that it's a little overdone on unnecessary vegetables, and perhaps most importantly that it's even higher in moisture content than most. The last is important because that means it is lower in calorie density than most. Which means you need to feed more of it when thinking of can count, etc. It is important to remember that.

In my own personal exploration of the various canned foods I would certainly choose Weruva over the others you've mentioned. Your cat may have an interest in chunkier foods if he refuses Natural Balance, Wellness, etc which are usually that pate consistency. There are a few other chunky decent quality foods, but only a few, and I've generally had to find them by trial and error. Fussie Cat is not bad. Tiki Cat is also not bad.

Weruva also has a newer line called Cats in the Kitchen. Used to only come in pouches but now also comes in cans. These seem to have fewer veggies and gives a few extra varieties. As always, read the ingredients. The first ingredient in the lamb variety is fish broth, for instance. But in general these are good choices as long as you account for the generally higher than usual moisture content. It says max 85% on the ones I looked at, which may even be lower than it used to be. I thought at one point they were close to 90% on moisture in there. Most cans are more like 80%, some even a little bit under that.

Bottom line IMO, if Weruva is something your cat likes, and it's readily available to you at a cost you're willing to pay, then you're in better shape than most.

Old 12-29-2012, 02:03 PM

12,389 posts, read 11,755,634 times
I like Weruva (though truthfully I don't eat it. ;-D ) and try to feed it to my 3 yr old cat. She loved the 6 sample cans I obtained of their Paw Lickin chicken formula and then, when I committed to purchasing a full case of it, decided after a few cans she didn't like it anymore... except when she does, which I cannot predict, and it never seems to be more than 2 days in a row but even that is random. She is extremely picky and stubborn and every other adjective you can think of.

It's a wonderful food, non-grain, healthy. I try and sneak in a little extra probiotics now and then and mix it up.

If your cat likes it (and most cats do) you can't go wrong with adding it into your rotation.

Old 12-29-2012, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Weruva is a high quality food. The main knocks that I know of are that there are a lot of fish varieties (but you can avoid those), that it's a little overdone on unnecessary vegetables, and perhaps most importantly that it's even higher in moisture content than most. The last is important because that means it is lower in calorie density than most. Which means you need to feed more of it when thinking of can count, etc. It is important to remember that.

In my own personal exploration of the various canned foods I would certainly choose Weruva over the others you've mentioned. Your cat may have an interest in chunkier foods if he refuses Natural Balance, Wellness, etc which are usually that pate consistency. There are a few other chunky decent quality foods, but only a few, and I've generally had to find them by trial and error. Fussie Cat is not bad. Tiki Cat is also not bad.

Weruva also has a newer line called Cats in the Kitchen. Used to only come in pouches but now also comes in cans. These seem to have fewer veggies and gives a few extra varieties. As always, read the ingredients. The first ingredient in the lamb variety is fish broth, for instance. But in general these are good choices as long as you account for the generally higher than usual moisture content. It says max 85% on the ones I looked at, which may even be lower than it used to be. I thought at one point they were close to 90% on moisture in there. Most cans are more like 80%, some even a little bit under that.

Bottom line IMO, if Weruva is something your cat likes, and it's readily available to you at a cost you're willing to pay, then you're in better shape than most.

I was just about to reply and decided to take in the empty plate(s) of food I left for one of my outside "feral" (they are often not really that, just hard strays) cats to eat, and to my delight, he had just polished off the entire 5 oz amount of the Weruva chicken and pumpkin, half of a bunch of Royal Canin dry (which I left earlier, not knowing if he or one of the raccoons was going to come first), and then just now I decided to empty into a plate a can of Friskeis shredded chicken and gravy (I know, I know) because he loves it and it is raining out and cold and he will gobble it up (I was afraid he'd reject more Weruva, being a finicky guy and he has refused the wet NB and Wellness already today) and at least he will have more wet food in his belly till tomorrow. I maintain a wide variety of wet foods so as to feed the finicky ones, and that includes the so-called ferals in our driveway! I have on hand, always: Friskies (which I consider last choice, but many of the cats want it most), Weruva, NB, Wellness and Science Diet. My largest collection is NB, followed by Wellness and Friskies. I am using more Friskies lately: My upstairs colony rescue guy refused my offerings of NB and Wellness today and accepted a plate of Friskies, whereas he used to inhale the NB. Go figure.

But as far as your response goes, thank you and I will say the same to everyone else re: the feedback on Weruva.

The reason I posted was because a knowledgeable poster in this forum recently said that Weruva is an OK, but not top brand because of how it is made; I think they stated or implied that they had a recall at one time.

I do believe that NB did, too, and they are a good brand.

Old 12-29-2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I have spent the better part of the past few months studying all of the wet canned foods for the same reason and can tell you Weruva is an excellent product that is well-recommended by the knowledgable staff at my local pet store. Stick with what works....especially if it's nutritious and lacking in fillers, has a high moisture count (around 80%) and is poultry based. Best of luck with continued good health, I know it's a big relief once achieved.
I certainly don't know your pet store staff, but my independent pet store (food only) store staff think they know a lot and they don't. But then, again, maybe your pet store staff are truly well read and unusual. But if YOU did heavy reading, I value your opinion!

Thanks for the good wishes for our guy who once had struvite crystals. It's been quite a long time now.

Yes, I love the high moisture content of Weruva. I am a big fan of wet and wet and water, not dry. Even though I do SOME dry, not much though.

Old 12-29-2012, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
I like Weruva (though truthfully I don't eat it. ;-D ) and try to feed it to my 3 yr old cat. She loved the 6 sample cans I obtained of their Paw Lickin chicken formula and then, when I committed to purchasing a full case of it, decided after a few cans she didn't like it anymore... except when she does, which I cannot predict, and it never seems to be more than 2 days in a row but even that is random. She is extremely picky and stubborn and every other adjective you can think of.

It's a wonderful food, non-grain, healthy. I try and sneak in a little extra probiotics now and then and mix it up.

If your cat likes it (and most cats do) you can't go wrong with adding it into your rotation.
I have had the same experience: Some cats ate it once and then rejected it. I said to them, "Weruva? You are rejecting it?" and they simply answered "Yes, and so there."

Old 12-29-2012, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Anne View Post
I have had the same experience: Some cats ate it once and then rejected it. I said to them, "Weruva? You are rejecting it?" and they simply answered "Yes, and so there."
Hee. Mine goes through periods where she rejects it and then every once in awhile I try again and she'll eat some. My goal is to finish out that case. It may take a year or more but she's going to eat it!

Old 12-29-2012, 06:30 PM

8,525 posts, read 16,172,877 times
The problem with Weruva is it is very high in carbohydrates. That is not a good thing for a cat with a urinary tract disorder. Most canned foods that are shreds or chunks in gravy are going to be high carbs. This is because to make the gravy the food has to have some sort of starch added. Potato, tapioca, whatever it's all very high in carbohydrates.

Here is a very extensive list of canned foods and their carb content.

http://catinfo.org/docs/Food%20Chart...%209-22-12.pdf

Natural Balance is also high in carbohydrates. Though slightly lower than Weruva.

I feed my FLUTD cat By Nature Organics canned food No carrageenan, low in carbs (2%), not too high in magnesium or phosphorous. That is 2/3 of her daily diet. The other 1/3 is commercial raw and boneless prey model raw, calcium supplemented. It took a long time to find a canned food she would eat, that she could eat.

Last edited by catsmom21; 12-29-2012 at 06:42 PM..

Old 12-29-2012, 07:13 PM

Quote:
The problem with Weruva is it is very high in carbohydrates.
Huh?

Not the Weruva formula I have. In fact according to the Weruva website, all their formulas are 3% or fewer carbs.

Weruva Paw Lickin' Chicken:

"All of Weruva’s formulas were formulated with the obligate carnivore in mind. Weruva’s formulas range from 1-3% carbohydrates. Those formulas without veggies, such as Paw Lickin’ Chicken, Mack & Jack, Mideast Feast and Asian Fusion, will be on the lower side."

Ingredients

Chicken (Boneless, Skinless, White Breast), Water Sufficient For Processing, Potato Starch, Sunflower Seed Oil, Dicalcium Phosphate, Xanthan Gum, Choline Chloride, Taurine, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Sulfate, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Nicotinic Acid (Vitamin B3), Ferrous Sulfate, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Potassium Iodide, Manganese Sulfate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Copper Sulfate, Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B2), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Folic Acid, Vitamin B12 Supplement.

Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein (min) 10%, Crude Fat (min) 1.4%, Crude Fiber (max) 0.5%, Moisture (max) 85%, Ash (max) 1.2%, Taurine (min) 0.05%, Calcium (max) 0.20%, Phosphorus (max) 0.17%, Magnesium (max) 0.018%

Calories: 3.0oz Can 46, 5.5oz Can 84

Average Analysis:
Crude Protein 12%, Crude Fat 1.7%, Crude Fiber 0.06%, Moisture 79%, Ash 0.74%, Phosphorus 0.14%

Calories: 3.0oz Can 59, 5.5oz Can 108
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats