Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 07:48 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,725,723 times

Advertisements

One of my cats has a cold. She's constantly coughing and sneezing. Thankfully, none of the other cats have caught her cold and all are extremely healthy. She's had this cold for quite some time.

I absolutely do NOT have the money to take her to the vet. We are being forced to move from our apartment and time is getting short and we've yet to find a place. Every penny we have is being put toward the move (husband and I didn't even exchange Christmas gifts this year)

I don't understand why a cat can have a cold that just doesn't go away? When a person has a cold, it will go away in 3 to 5 days, even if you don't treat it with anything.

Does anyone know of any natural remedies to help this cat get over her cold?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2012, 08:53 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,058,385 times
prolonged sneezing and cough are probably not a cold and have been linked to nasal cancer. It makes me incredibly sad when people think they can get free medical advise from lay people on the internet. Asking for information is one thing but asking for medical treatment is another. i think I would go without food myself before I'd let a pet suffer.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:29 PM

2,280 posts, read 4,512,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
One of my cats has a cold. She's constantly coughing and sneezing. Thankfully, none of the other cats have caught her cold and all are extremely healthy. She's had this cold for quite some time.

I absolutely do NOT have the money to take her to the vet. We are being forced to move from our apartment and time is getting short and we've yet to find a place. Every penny we have is being put toward the move (husband and I didn't even exchange Christmas gifts this year)

I don't understand why a cat can have a cold that just doesn't go away? When a person has a cold, it will go away in 3 to 5 days, even if you don't treat it with anything.

Does anyone know of any natural remedies to help this cat get over her cold?
It is very likely a herpes virus, but I can't be sure. We have one girl cat who has been like that for 2 months straight. She did see the vet and got on an antibiotic to deal with the bacterial infection that resulted from the virus (thick mucus in nose, etc.) and when it became clear the doctor said there is nothing to be done but to use L Lysine powder in her food (which I do).

Go read about the herpes virus. Meanwhile, call your closest (even if miles away) shelter clinic and ask for free advice on the phone, at least. Or call a cat rescue group to ask if they can help you out.

I feel that we must find a way to care for our animals or we are not, well, caring for them! But I understand a tight budget - I have one too. But you have to seek advice somehow. If the mucus is clear from her nose and eyes, she will be a lot better off than not. However, keep this in mind: If the mucus is not clear, or if she is weeping badly, she can get a corneal ulcer which is extremely painful and which can result in blindness.

If you can't provide basic vet care for a cat, you really ought to seek financial help to get her to one somehow. I am not blaming you: I know how it can be hard for many people these days!!

(If your cat has contracted the herpes virus, it will recur at various times throughout her lifetime. At some point, you MUST take her to a vet, you MUST.)

Old 12-31-2012, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
prolonged sneezing and cough are probably not a cold and have been linked to nasal cancer. It makes me incredibly sad when people think they can get free medical advise from lay people on the internet. Asking for information is one thing but asking for medical treatment is another. i think I would go without food myself before I'd let a pet suffer.
It could simply be herpes virus. My cat, who was on Clavamox from our wonderful vet, still does this and the vet is not worried. The mucus is clear and she has been examined twice, thoroughly. She gets L Lysine in her food.

Yes, she can call a clinic at a shelter for free advice, at least, for starters.

Old 12-31-2012, 11:59 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,849,692 times
Can you answer some more questions? Is the cat eating normally? Drinking more than usual or using the litterbox more (or not as much)? Is there discharge from the nose? From the eyes? What color is the discharge? Does the coughing come in 'spells' or is throughout the day?

There's multiple things this could be. From herpes, as suggested, to asthma. Typically, an adult healthy cat who has a herpes flare won't have persistent coughing (sneezing is more typical.) A persistent upper respiratory could also be a sign of FIV or FeLV. Does the cat have access to the outdoors?

Old 01-01-2013, 12:27 AM

121 posts, read 301,721 times
just curious are any of you posting your advise are you Lic. Vets? I bet not.

Orig Poster I know you are on a budget ........... call your vet explain your situation and the cats situation . You maybe surprised your vet may cut you a break or better yet let you know over the phone what the deal is with your cat and .....or you can try a vet school in your area.

Old 01-01-2013, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAT KRIS View Post
just curious are any of you posting your advise are you Lic. Vets? I bet not.

Orig Poster I know you are on a budget ........... call your vet explain your situation and the cats situation . You maybe surprised your vet may cut you a break or better yet let you know over the phone what the deal is with your cat and .....or you can try a vet school in your area.
Even a vet won't give more than the most general advice without seeing the patient. But no one is telling her not to seek medical attention...in fact, everyone is telling her that somehow she needs to speak with a professional We can give possibilities for the symptoms (and I'm asking more questions because I'm very concerned it isn't herpes based on the coughing, and the situation may in fact be more urgent than the owner realizes), but right at the top of the forum it states that nothing here is intended as veterinary advice. No one here it pretending or suggesting otherwise.

Old 01-01-2013, 05:32 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,725,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
Can you answer some more questions?

Is the cat eating normally? Yes

Drinking more than usual or using the litterbox more (or not as much)? No

Is there discharge from the nose? No

From the eyes? What color is the discharge? No

Does the coughing come in 'spells' or is throughout the day? Spells

There's multiple things this could be. From herpes, as suggested, to asthma. Typically, an adult healthy cat who has a herpes flare won't have persistent coughing (sneezing is more typical.) A persistent upper respiratory could also be a sign of FIV or FeLV. Does the cat have access to the outdoors? She's never been outside in her life. She was born in my livingroom and has never shown an interest in going outside even when I brought her to the door. (she's 9 years old) None of the other cats have ever gone out, either, except the mama cat but she hasn't been outside in 4.5 years and she's completely healthy.
I had brought this cat to the vet months ago for the same reason.. She was on meds (Clavamox?) and completed them and it came back.

Thanks for all the responses.

Old 01-01-2013, 10:22 AM

Do the spells of coughing look/sound anything like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuNy_WubRrI

Old 01-01-2013, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
Can you answer some more questions? Is the cat eating normally? Drinking more than usual or using the litterbox more (or not as much)? Is there discharge from the nose? From the eyes? What color is the discharge? Does the coughing come in 'spells' or is throughout the day?

There's multiple things this could be. From herpes, as suggested, to asthma. Typically, an adult healthy cat who has a herpes flare won't have persistent coughing (sneezing is more typical.) A persistent upper respiratory could also be a sign of FIV or FeLV. Does the cat have access to the outdoors?

Oh, right. I have an asthmatic cat and he coughs and sneezes. I forgot that!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats