Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 12:24 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times

Advertisements

The vet is supposed to get back to me with bloodwork results today for my 16-year-old cat. She's mostly stopped eating - just a few bites of her favorite foods, and she's lost a pound.

It could be bad teeth. It could be kidneys. It could be diabetes. It could be anything, I guess. She's not acting any differently though - I can hear her purring in the other room and she's just as happy as she usually is. She even got as ornery as she usually does when I stuck her in the crate to go to the vet's the other day.

I'm a realist - there's no good news about a 16-year-old cat that's losing weight and refusing food. But what is the best possible outcome? I'm thinking diabetes is to be hoped for - daily insulin shots are not a big deal in my view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2014, 12:44 PM

2,978 posts, read 3,925,922 times
It's hard to say. It could be something treatable like diabetes or hyperthyroid, but there are usually other symptoms for those (with diabetes, excessive urination, etc.). She could be in pain for some reason--bad teeth or bad joint pain. Of course, it could also be something very bad.

It is good that you're getting her evaluated, so whatever may come up, you can make the best choice for her. I pray it's something simple.

Old 09-23-2014, 02:27 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,427,629 times
Waiting is awful. Rene is right, it could be something treatable. And you are right, she is no spring chicken. I'm glad her spirits are still good. That's a hopeful sign. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for a decent report.

Old 09-23-2014, 04:31 PM

Well, thanks guys, but it's apparently problems with both her liver and thyroid. My vet doesn't think there's much to be done for her that won't be invasive for a pretty elderly cat. A close friend who is a vet in another state is more optimistic, and we're going to chat tonight before I go in for follow-up tomorrow morning.

I'm sad, but not devastated. I've had her for 14 years, and it's kind of amazing she's lived this long given that she has some physical abnormalities that suggest extreme inbreeding (severely bowed front legs, odd body shape). She was disgustingly healthy for her entire life though, except for an allergy to salmon.

And right now, she's still quite happy. I've basically resolved to keep her trucking along as long as she remains mobile and upbeat. Hoping some steroids might give her more of an appetite. We'll see tomorrow.

Old 09-23-2014, 04:40 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
I'm sorry the results weren't what you'd hoped. The best to you as you try to find a way to keep her happy for as long as possible.

Give her a pet for me.

Old 09-23-2014, 05:00 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,364,652 times
My fiances work cat is around the same age and was having the same issues and was having dental problems. One very loose tooth and another bad one. The vet removed both of them and she is doing wonderfully.

Hoping your kitty is ok.

Old 09-24-2014, 07:30 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,925,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Well, thanks guys, but it's apparently problems with both her liver and thyroid. My vet doesn't think there's much to be done for her that won't be invasive for a pretty elderly cat. A close friend who is a vet in another state is more optimistic, and we're going to chat tonight before I go in for follow-up tomorrow morning.
It is great that you can get some thoughts from your friend. I hope she can enjoy the time she has left comfortably.

Old 09-24-2014, 07:35 AM

4,290 posts, read 4,012,365 times
aaah I am so sorry about your cat. Flying hug from me to your cat and you as well.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:42 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,660,570 times
I'm sorry to hear of your older cat having trouble. Unfortunately, for most of us who have managed to have a cat around this long, one or more old age issues like these eventually come up.

I'm not sure what the liver issue is. Hyperthyroid (this is the typical one, although I suppose cats can also be hypo-) often causes weight loss, but it doesn't usually cause appetite loss that I've heard of. Never know, it can be different for different cats.

Hope you were able to get some good info from your friend the vet. I wouldn't think that there's zero things you can do, but these things do sometimes present you with decisions on what you personally consider invasive or not. For example, meds for hyperthyroid, or even the radioiodine treatment, most wouldn't consider that too invasive. I had a cat on thyroid meds for over 3 years, and for most of that time she took them as easily as eating a treat. Later she additionally was revealed to have a kidney issue, and then things got a bit more complicated.

It's possible in your cat's case, the thyroid treatments would not be considered because of whatever the liver problem is. Although if it's fatty liver from not eating this can be reversed typically with enough nutritional support. The question is can that be achieved without resulting to somewhat invasive ideas of assist feeding (e.g. with syringe to mouth or with temporary feeding tube). Sometimes this can jump start eating again if it's expected she will "feel better" from whatever is making her feel bad enough to not eat.

Trying to stimulate appetite makes sense to me. Regardless of what else is wrong, she needs to eat. If she's not going to eat or otherwise get nutrition, well, you can imagine where that leads eventually....

I hope she can be comfortable for a little while longer. I wish you both the best.

Old 09-24-2014, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
I'm sorry to hear of your older cat having trouble. Unfortunately, for most of us who have managed to have a cat around this long, one or more old age issues like these eventually come up.

I'm not sure what the liver issue is. Hyperthyroid (this is the typical one, although I suppose cats can also be hypo-) often causes weight loss, but it doesn't usually cause appetite loss that I've heard of. Never know, it can be different for different cats.

Hope you were able to get some good info from your friend the vet. I wouldn't think that there's zero things you can do, but these things do sometimes present you with decisions on what you personally consider invasive or not. For example, meds for hyperthyroid, or even the radioiodine treatment, most wouldn't consider that too invasive. I had a cat on thyroid meds for over 3 years, and for most of that time she took them as easily as eating a treat. Later she additionally was revealed to have a kidney issue, and then things got a bit more complicated.

It's possible in your cat's case, the thyroid treatments would not be considered because of whatever the liver problem is. Although if it's fatty liver from not eating this can be reversed typically with enough nutritional support. The question is can that be achieved without resulting to somewhat invasive ideas of assist feeding (e.g. with syringe to mouth or with temporary feeding tube). Sometimes this can jump start eating again if it's expected she will "feel better" from whatever is making her feel bad enough to not eat.

Trying to stimulate appetite makes sense to me. Regardless of what else is wrong, she needs to eat. If she's not going to eat or otherwise get nutrition, well, you can imagine where that leads eventually....

I hope she can be comfortable for a little while longer. I wish you both the best.
Thank you!

There is a chance the hyperthyroid has caused the liver issues. I think I'm going to ask the vet today about treating the hyperthyroid and maybe the possibility of steroids. I don't know if I want to bother with the ultrasound she said was a possible course of action - I'm not sure it will tell us anything useful. The hyperthyroid treatments could be just the thing. The liver issue is what is likely depressing her appetite, and I think it is fairly new.

Really, my issue is that this is not a cat who enjoys going to a vet (though she likes the vet as a person - just hates the trip and is distraught the entire drive). She's very peaceful and happy right now, just doing a lot of sleeping and purring. I'm not sure how much I want to put her through. I definitely don't want to bring her in to be put down - I'm going to be researching "in-home euthanasia" services provided by some vets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats