Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2013, 06:46 PM

1 posts, read 8,428 times

Advertisements

My two cats are currently eating a variety of Weruva canned food and Tiki Cat. They eat the fish varieties and chicken. I recently switched both my cats to an all wet food diet due to urinary issues. One of my cats was taken to the ER for crystals. The vet sent me home with a few Royal Canin S/O cans. They said after his crystals clear he is fine to eat any brand of wet food.

Would it be in my cats best interest to steer clear of fish flavors or is it okay to give it to them 2x-3x a week?

I give my cats 6oz each a day of wet food.

Any recommendations on food or ways I can improve their health?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 06:51 PM

219 posts, read 541,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewchoocat View Post
My two cats are currently eating a variety of Weruva canned food and Tiki Cat. They eat the fish varieties and chicken. I recently switched both my cats to an all wet food diet due to urinary issues. One of my cats was taken to the ER for crystals. The vet sent me home with a few Royal Canin S/O cans. They said after his crystals clear he is fine to eat any brand of wet food.

Would it be in my cats best interest to steer clear of fish flavors or is it okay to give it to them 2x-3x a week?

I suggest dry food. Our cat (before my divorce) was a Persian type who of course was as big as they come. As it turned out though, she had little hair compared to her body fat. So we took her to the vet and she put her on a diet which was dry food. I'd recommend the brand but I can't recall at the moment, but it is diet food, but most important, healthy. Of course you will need a bowl of water for hydration. As a treat, you can give her a can of tuna fish once a week, because, well, she's been on a diet and every so often deserves a 'down day'

Old 01-06-2013, 07:02 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,573,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewchoocat View Post

Hello and welcome to the forum! Good job getting your cats on a better diet! Sounds like you have a good vet, if s/he is recommending a wet diet. Dry food is so bad for them for so many reasons.

I would eliminate all fish. Tiki Cat does have one food that is not fishy, the chicken formula. Weruva has a lot of non fish varieties, but stick to the grain free ones.

You could add into their rotation By Nature Organic. I feed it to my cat who has feline lower urinary tract disease, she forms struvite crystals (she eats the By Nature organic in a rotation with a raw diet).

You want to keep to lower carbohydrate foods as part of the rotation, as they are better for cats with urinary issues.

To help you find some other foods here is a list of canned foods, with their protein, fat, and carbohydrate percentages, that a vet has compiled, from information given to her by the manufacturers of the foods.

http://catinfo.org/docs/Food%20Chart...%209-22-12.pdf

This vet also has excellent information on her website about urinary tract issues and why wet food is so important.

Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health

Last edited by catsmom21; 01-06-2013 at 07:17 PM..

Old 01-06-2013, 07:09 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,573,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersied View Post
I suggest dry food. Our cat (before my divorce) was a Persian type who of course was as big as they come. As it turned out though, she had little hair compared to her body fat. So we took her to the vet and she put her on a diet which was dry food. I'd recommend the brand but I can't recall at the moment, but it is diet food, but most important, healthy. Of course you will need a bowl of water for hydration. As a treat, you can give her a can of tuna fish once a week, because, well, she's been on a diet and every so often deserves a 'down day'
It's good you took your cat to the vet before trying to reduce her weight but:

This is not good advice. Not only is dry food terrible for cats, tuna also is not good for cats. Tuna is high in heavy metals and minerals and salt. All bad, for cats.

Dry food is not good for cats who need to lose weight. Dry food, especially prescription "diet" foods are very high in grain, corn especially, and high in carbohydrates. None of it is good for cats. Cats need high meat protein, and a wet diet, to maintain a healthy weight and proper hydration.

As for the cat in the original post, dry food would be absolutely the worst thing for him. Cats with urinary tract problems should be on a wet diet, it could save his life.

Old 01-06-2013, 09:39 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,335,832 times
One thing that I'd suggest, having a pair of water-averse neutered males, is that you might wish to add water to their canned food when you give it to them. I have found that to be an excellent way of keeping our cats well-hydrated, which of course is crucial if you have a cat with urinary tract problems. I'd also suggest becoming a label-reader, and avoiding foods that list any grains of any kind as an ingredient.

Cats in the wild get most or all of their liquids from the food they eat, rarely drinking water for its own sake. Even though we make water available to our domesticated felines, many of them have little interest in drinking it. That's not a blanket statement by any means - of course I know there are cats that happily lap up large quantities of water. But if you've got kitties with urinary issues, it would be prudent to ensure that they're ingesting enough fluids to keep everything moving along nicely.

Our cats are on a pretty limited food regimen, since both of them are little garbage-pail kitties who'd eat themselves into an early grave if we let them free-feed. They get fed three times a day, mostly Nature's Variety Instinct grain-free canned varieties with a special treat once or twice a week of one of the grain-free Tiki-Cat fish flavors. For each cat at each meal, I mix in about a quarter to a third of a cup of water, stirring the food into the water to make a sort of slurry or soup. They slurp and gobble it down greedily, even though neither of them will touch plain water.

Good luck to you and your kitties - I hope they do well!

Old 01-07-2013, 07:45 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
Please use the archives to find the many threads on here about proper nutrition for cats. here is just one I started some time ago. Many regular posters have tremendous knowledge on this subject and have been incredible generous with sharing it with us. don't let their efforts go to waste. One thing most of us agree on is that dry is bad and we should avoid any grain.

//www.city-data.com/forum/cats/...what-food.html

Old 01-11-2013, 12:24 PM

217 posts, read 360,845 times
Well, I'll add here. I dont want to disrupt that perfect thread

Every other can in the isle has grain fillers. Why, it's wet food, same price and size too? Kitty doesn't like beef, but loves extra stinky canned ocean fish. I used to get the fish/shrimp mix, which is pretty much whole fish flakes with embryo sized shrimp (don't know any other way to describe them, I've never seen such shrimp). Since he ate around the shrimp, I just get the fish dinner, which isn't flakes but puree. Ingredients are something like water, fish, salt and vitamins; something I would eat. Due to the fish being low on the food chain (haddock) mercury isn't a problem.

Old 01-11-2013, 02:16 PM

575 posts, read 1,996,290 times
Mine have eaten Tiki in the past but I find it expensive for fish! So I feed them fish as do a few others on here. Trader Joes brand and Whole Food's brand Tuna, Salmon, Crab - packed in water and no salt added. If you buy market brand packed fish please be aware of ingredients added like soy and how much sodium as it adds up fast in their little bodies.

I also will lightly cook off some frozen fish fillets (white fish like tilapia) or shrimp when I have it. They've also been known to be rewarded with a scallop or two Can you spell SPOILED ROTTEN!!!

As far as canned - I buy the weruva chicken (paw licken not grandma's as they won't eat the veggies) I have tried to cook down and shred chicken breast and they wont touch it! They will however eat the left overs from a store bought roast chicken if I pick it for them. Again, spoiled brats
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats