Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 05:05 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,019,328 times

Advertisements

My 4.5 year old short hair tortie calico 'Florence' is very particular when it comes to moist food. The Vet suggested I give her one small can a day- and also include her regular kibble.

Well I bought her fancy feast- different varieties. She refuses to eat any of the seafood varieties. She prefers only the foul- but likes only the chicken- not the turkey. This morning I gave her the turkey grill- she smelled the food, licked it a few times and then stuck her nose up in the air and walked away!

Some of the other cans I opened earlier, I gave to the poor ferals outside, who gladly ate the food.

Why is she so picky?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2007, 09:05 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,264,571 times
She might be wanting something more top of the line; Eagle Pack, Felidae, Innova, Innova Evo just to name a few. They are human grade, chemical preservative free and no by-products.

Old 10-15-2007, 02:11 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,921,120 times
Easy answer? Because she's a cat! Seriously, my cats are the same exact way... I ran out of their favorite the other day, and had to get something random at 7-11 - they wouldn't touch it. So I just indulge their finickiness, and get what they like! Their pick is the "Fancy Feast Elegant Medley", particularly the chicken w/ greens, turkey Florentine, and wild salmon fare. It's just a cat thing, so keep experimenting until you find 2-3 varieties they like, and stick with those.

Old 10-15-2007, 02:14 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,921,120 times
P.S. Cleosmom, my cats HATE the healthy foods!! Believe me, I wish they liked it, but I've tried every possible brand... so I compensate by giving them Royal Canin dry, at a whopping $20 a bag. That's the majority of their diet anyway, so the vet said it's fine to give Fancy Feast wet - they each get 1/2 of a small can, twice a day.

Old 10-15-2007, 04:09 AM

well gizmo
from now on I will buy the mixed grill and chicken in gravy Fancy Feast- she seems content with those two. I also feed her Pro Plan or Purina One.

See attached picture

Last edited by skytrekker; 03-18-2008 at 04:33 AM..

Old 10-15-2007, 11:20 AM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times
Finicky kitties! They're so silly. Our cats won't eat anything but chicken or turkey, and it has to be either Fancy Feast grilled chicken or turkey, or Friskies prime filets chicken or turkey, which is the same thing as Fancy Feast grilled (but half the price!).

But no liver. No beef. No fish. No other brands of food. They'll drink the water packed in a can of people tuna, but won't eat the tuna itself. Before we brought them inside and formally made them our cats (they were dumped in our alley as kittens), they'd eat anything we put out in the alley for them, even what our elderly cat turned up his nose at. Spoiled brats.

Old 10-16-2007, 10:36 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,635,365 times
My cat, of course, has her staple, very expensive protein "cookies". But for a treat she will ONLY eat Fancy Feast tuna! What can you do?

Old 10-16-2007, 06:13 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,682,675 times
My inside cats are the same way. My outside (fixed, fat and happy "ferals") likewise, turning up their snoots at something not quite to their taste. My budget doesn't run to indulging their taste so they either eat it or it gets thrown out and then they can just lump it until the next meal or make do with the cat bics always there.

The one time both the inside and the outside cats are all present and correct for a feeding frenzy is on Friday. On that night I serve up traditional fish and chips at my restaurant and even before I've cut up the mahi-mahi sides and put on the ends to steam up for them they're begging and howling as though they've never had a good meal in their lives... Cheers!

Old 10-18-2007, 02:04 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,496,596 times
Mine turn up their noses at expensive wet foods, they adore all flavors of fancy feast but it MUST be the "grilled" or "sliced" kind that comes in meaty chunks, and NOT the kind that you can remove from the can in one big cylinder.

They get to share one small can a day. I figure they are getting their main nutrients from the expensive pet store dry cat food.

Old 10-18-2007, 02:27 PM

It seems that more Vets are leaning toward moist foods. My Dentist is a cat lover, and says that even the best dry foods have filler and are 'sprayed' with an ingredient that makes the dry kibble more palatable.

My Vet echoes this new feeling about cat food, preferring a diet that includes 1 small can of moist food a day-supplemented with dry food.

My cat also does not like whole hunk moist cat food, but prefers sliced, shredded or cubed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats