U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2013, 08:18 PM

2,185 posts, read 3,657,896 times

Advertisements

Next question: I am now feeding Tortie with her 1 mg 2x a day of liquid Clindamycin in her food (which is usually Natural Balance wet food or Wellness wet).

On top of that, I mix in the powdered L Lysine.

Tortie is the one with a chronic type of bacterial URI secondary to herpes virus.

Age 2 and a sweet, small cat. I can pick her up and all of that, but she is so skittish, having been traumatized from living outdoors as an abandoned friendly. She literally jumps up when I approach her.

I don't wish to use the dropper in her mouth and make her miserable.

But she doesn't finish her food and get all the antibiotic.

Any way to make her happy and not do the dropper in her mouth?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 11:17 PM

1,599 posts, read 2,097,254 times
IMO, the dropper may only make her 'unhappy' for a minute, compared to all the other wonderful moments you provide. Unless there's another way, I recommend, just 'get er done' and make more happy moments afterwards.

I did use baby food (turkey, chicken, mixed with some water) to feed an elder cat - and it went over really well. But at the end of the day, if they need the meds to feel better, the dropper is the quickest way - and they likely 'get over it' faster than we might. Best!!

Old 01-08-2013, 11:24 PM

157 posts, read 505,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Anne View Post
Next question: I am now feeding Tortie with her 1 mg 2x a day of liquid Clindamycin in her food (which is usually Natural Balance wet food or Wellness wet).

On top of that, I mix in the powdered L Lysine.

Tortie is the one with a chronic type of bacterial URI secondary to herpes virus.

Age 2 and a sweet, small cat. I can pick her up and all of that, but she is so skittish, having been traumatized from living outdoors as an abandoned friendly. She literally jumps up when I approach her.

I don't wish to use the dropper in her mouth and make her miserable.

But she doesn't finish her food and get all the antibiotic.

Any way to make her happy and not do the dropper in her mouth?

Thanks.

I can understand your not wanting to traumatize her more, however by putting the drops into her food you run the risk of turning her OFF her food and her refusing to eat. plus the fact that she isn't finishing the full amount therefore as you say NOT getting the full dose of antibiotic...this is dangerous, b/c if less than a full dose is used it won't be enough to completely kill the infection and you run the very real likelihood of her developing a resistance to antibiotics and creating a super infection.

It only takes a split second to administer the liquid into her mouth, if you cannot hold her...try gently grabbing hold of the scruff of her neck, she'll than stop fighting you. Or wrapping her tightly in a blanket or towel, this gives them a sense of security and supposedly works well tho I've never had to try this.
good luck

Old 01-09-2013, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelva View Post
IMO, the dropper may only make her 'unhappy' for a minute, compared to all the other wonderful moments you provide. Unless there's another way, I recommend, just 'get er done' and make more happy moments afterwards.

I did use baby food (turkey, chicken, mixed with some water) to feed an elder cat - and it went over really well. But at the end of the day, if they need the meds to feel better, the dropper is the quickest way - and they likely 'get over it' faster than we might. Best!!
OK, I spent so much time this AM getting her to eat several small plates of food with medicine in it. Took over an hour, no good.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patricats View Post
I can understand your not wanting to traumatize her more, however by putting the drops into her food you run the risk of turning her OFF her food and her refusing to eat. plus the fact that she isn't finishing the full amount therefore as you say NOT getting the full dose of antibiotic...this is dangerous, b/c if less than a full dose is used it won't be enough to completely kill the infection and you run the very real likelihood of her developing a resistance to antibiotics and creating a super infection.

It only takes a split second to administer the liquid into her mouth, if you cannot hold her...try gently grabbing hold of the scruff of her neck, she'll than stop fighting you. Or wrapping her tightly in a blanket or towel, this gives them a sense of security and supposedly works well tho I've never had to try this.

good luck
Yes, I am well aware of how antibiotics work and made sure she got a FULL dose EATEN in her food, but all your other points are helpful and so thanks so much !!!!

Old 01-10-2013, 04:01 PM

4,675 posts, read 8,254,870 times
Clindamycin is, I think, the most difficult antibiotic to mask in food. It stinks.. makes me gag!

I wouldn't mix it with food - it'll make the kitty food adverse.

I'd just use the syringe.

I've had to get a couple of my kitties held between my knees (kitty facing forward) to get this nasty stuff down their throat.

I even took it to a compounding pharmacy once. Spent a lot of money and it still didn't cover the nasty smell and taste.

I've not tried it, but some pet owners will put liquid meds into empty gelatin capsules.

Old 01-10-2013, 04:06 PM

2,890 posts, read 5,668,692 times
Oh god, I've tasted Clindamycin - not by choice. Don't open your mouth around an animal that is trying to shake it out of their mouth. It is NASTY.

All I can say is . . . good luck.

Old 01-10-2013, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
Clindamycin is, I think, the most difficult antibiotic to mask in food. It stinks.. makes me gag!

I wouldn't mix it with food - it'll make the kitty food adverse.

I'd just use the syringe.

I've had to get a couple of my kitties held between my knees (kitty facing forward) to get this nasty stuff down their throat.

I even took it to a compounding pharmacy once. Spent a lot of money and it still didn't cover the nasty smell and taste.

I've not tried it, but some pet owners will put liquid meds into empty gelatin capsules.

So far, it has worked out fine putting it in her food, thank goodness. I make sure she is hungry in the AM and put half of her dose in a high quality food (because she won't finish a full plate with a full dose in it) and then wait 20 minutes and put in the other half in Fancy Feast seafood feast flavor wet and she gobbles it right up and then I do the same in the evening, and then she gets non-medicated food (wet). It has been working out great.

This cat should not be given liquid meds in her mouth unless absolutely necessary. She is a traumatized kitty (a friendly) and she is very skittish and jumpy and I don't want her to feel afraid of me at this early stage.

My husband, when I told him some suggest putting it in her mouth, said no, not this cat. It would be very upsetting for her and we should avoid it if at all possible. I didn't really say all of this so you didn't know.

Old 05-08-2015, 02:34 PM

1 posts, read 11,521 times
My question is is antibiotic lost some ealing property if you put it in a little bit liquid food?
My cat has stomatistic and is hangry but his mouth is so sore that he lleap the liqid food.

Old 05-08-2015, 06:58 PM

8,978 posts, read 6,608,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by salernes58 View Post
My question is is antibiotic lost some ealing property if you put it in a little bit liquid food?
My cat has stomatistic and is hangry but his mouth is so sore that he lleap the liqid food.
According to my vet, the answer is no it doesn't lose strength if mixed food. The only problem with mixing it in food is making sure they eat everything so they are getting the full dose of medicine... and do it every time. Other than that, it should work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats