Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 04:41 PM

2,280 posts, read 4,514,791 times

Advertisements

I had heard that they now have a new way to set up a pet trust that is a lot cheaper than what existed a few years ago, and the ASPCA partners with this!

Check it out:

Getting Going: Does Your Pet Need Its Own Trust? - WSJ.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 12:30 AM

2,873 posts, read 5,851,244 times
Hmmm. I think I'm going to have to contact the ASPCA (NY.) In this article and pet trust primer, they both assume you already have a guardian in mind. There's nothing about the ASPCA taking an active guardianship role (as you mentioned in the other thread was explained to you as being possible.) I'd love if this were finally the solution to my issue with JJ. I'm contacted numerous organizations including Best Friends, and all of them involved either naming a guardian or a group setting.

Old 01-15-2013, 05:29 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,991,242 times
First a guardian or trusted person must be found. That's not so easy when you live in a more rural area with few neighbors you don't know that well.

Old 01-15-2013, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
Hmmm. I think I'm going to have to contact the ASPCA (NY.) In this article and pet trust primer, they both assume you already have a guardian in mind. There's nothing about the ASPCA taking an active guardianship role (as you mentioned in the other thread was explained to you as being possible.) I'd love if this were finally the solution to my issue with JJ. I'm contacted numerous organizations including Best Friends, and all of them involved either naming a guardian or a group setting.

OK. I'd like to know what they have to say, i.e. if they can provide a guardian themselves (the ASPCA in NYC, I mean).

I think that you might well be able to find a guardian for your special needs boy. There are certain people who would love to care for a special needs cat but cannot afford the care and if a cat came ready made with the money to care for him, I think that this would open up a new world of people who love cats and want to make a difference.

Old 01-15-2013, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
First a guardian or trusted person must be found. That's not so easy when you live in a more rural area with few neighbors you don't know that well.

I do know that Bid a Wee also used to have lifetime care for cats so long as you paid a lump sum which would be used to care for the cat.

There used to be a few other places that did that.

RE: finding someone, you could do some inquiring even out of your area, perhaps.??

Old 01-16-2013, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Anne View Post
OK. I'd like to know what they have to say, i.e. if they can provide a guardian themselves (the ASPCA in NYC, I mean).

I think that you might well be able to find a guardian for your special needs boy. There are certain people who would love to care for a special needs cat but cannot afford the care and if a cat came ready made with the money to care for him, I think that this would open up a new world of people who love cats and want to make a difference.
It can also open a new world of dishonest but greedy people looking to make some easy money. Someone would have to check to make sure the person was taking good care of the cat. Where would THAT person be found? How much would they be paid? How honest would they be?

There are those people who start out with good intentions and then run off the track like that Kaboodle place in FL. It's to where, after reading so many of these horror stories, it's hard to trust anyone.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:08 AM

Quote:
I do know that Bid a Wee also used to have lifetime care for cats so long as you paid a lump sum which would be used to care for the cat.

There used to be a few other places that did that.

RE: finding someone, you could do some inquiring even out of your area, perhaps.??
It's something to consider but I have no one where I live to ship the cats. I barely know my neighbors. People where I live stay to themselves. I suffered from culture shock when I moved from Queens NY to rural TN. I could talk to my step-daughter about shipping them from the Nashville airport. But honestly, I would rather see them euthanized than to live out their lives in cages. The place I worked in Queens had a boarding facility and I saw what long term caging does to cats and dogs. Some literally go "cage-crazy" and cats were known to stop eating and start failing. The owner, a Lic Vet, said cats become depressed when caged for long periods of time. We were required to pet them and talk to them a few times a day or hold them if they liked being held. But that was time consuming and not always possible if we had a lot of surgeries lined up or an emergency came in.

They would need a place with those open rooms that are furnished for cats. I couldn't find anything like that in my state. I know they exist but I have no idea how or where to find legitimate places with those with open rooms. Or how much it would cost so I can set aside an account for them - then look for someone I can depend on who would ship them.

These are indoor only cats and wouldn't last long if someone let them outside to roam.

Old 01-17-2013, 01:43 PM

Quote:
It can also open a new world of dishonest but greedy people looking to make some easy money. Someone would have to check to make sure the person was taking good care of the cat. Where would THAT person be found? How much would they be paid? How honest would they be?

There are those people who start out with good intentions and then run off the track like that Kaboodle place in FL. It's to where, after reading so many of these horror stories, it's hard to trust anyone.
Well, that person could be carefully screened and selected by a rescue group or organization that you truly trust.

Old 01-17-2013, 01:46 PM

Quote:
It's something to consider but I have no one where I live to ship the cats. I barely know my neighbors. People where I live stay to themselves. I suffered from culture shock when I moved from Queens NY to rural TN. I could talk to my step-daughter about shipping them from the Nashville airport. But honestly, I would rather see them euthanized than to live out their lives in cages. The place I worked in Queens had a boarding facility and I saw what long term caging does to cats and dogs. Some literally go "cage-crazy" and cats were known to stop eating and start failing. The owner, a Lic Vet, said cats become depressed when caged for long periods of time. We were required to pet them and talk to them a few times a day or hold them if they liked being held. But that was time consuming and not always possible if we had a lot of surgeries lined up or an emergency came in.

They would need a place with those open rooms that are furnished for cats. I couldn't find anything like that in my state. I know they exist but I have no idea how or where to find legitimate places with those with open rooms. Or how much it would cost so I can set aside an account for them - then look for someone I can depend on who would ship them.

These are indoor only cats and wouldn't last long if someone let them outside to roam.
I would like to suggest that you start doing your research now. I would contact places like Best Friends in Utah who would almost certainly know some places nationally, not just in their area, contact the "world's largest pet shelter", the North Shore Animal League America in Port Washington, Nassau County, LI, contact the Humane Society of the U.S., the ASPCA, Bid a Wee, and many other similar places for suggestions. Just my ideas, don't know how helpful.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Well, that person could be carefully screened and selected by a rescue group or organization that you truly trust.
And who can I (we, anyone) trust? Rescues come and go where I live. The last one folded before she even got the 501 non-profit status cleared. The few that looked promising only utilize Fosters. They have no building/s of their own. We would love our cats to remain in our home until they die of old age, but can't find anyone who is willing to care for them once a day or even a few times a week at any cost. My last trusted true real friend, also a cat person, moved away about 8 years ago. She was the last friend I had here in TN. See? You can't know what will happen...... The family now in her house are in horrible health and keep to themselves.

I could change the Will to obligate one of our adult kids, but that wouldn't be fair either since two of them live far away, one in NY and one in the UK.

I did once contact the Northshore AL concerning our dogs, now at Rainbow Bridge. As I recall there was no way we could afford what they offered at the time. It would be a lot easier if I still lived in NYC. I had all kinds of contacts in those days and a lot of friends.

The Rescues will only take in cats if they have Fosters or space available. Who cares for them until they do when it can take weeks or months? Money doesn't seem to matter, meaning we can make a hefty donation for their care but space is still the main issue. They would go up for adoption, not be care for for the rest of their lives.

Last edited by =^..^=; 01-18-2013 at 09:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats