Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2013, 05:56 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times

Advertisements

My dearest friend in the world has two inside-outside cats. She has lost 2 already to coyotes yet she still keeps getting replacements. When she asked for name suggestions for her new cat I said "Coyote Chow. You can call her CC for short." She was not amused. She knows how I feel.
On her FB she is always telling stories of dead birds, mice, snakes, squirrels her cats bring to her as gifts. This morning she has an eloquently told story about a still-alive but bleeding baby bird the cat brought to her. Nothing I say or do will change her mind about cats staying inside. i cannot unfriend her. I still love her. Dear Lord help me keep my cool and bite my tongue.

End of Rant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 07:24 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,655,128 times
Ugh, I hear ya. I think I would be right there with you in the name suggestion after all that. Sheesh.

You can suppress her updates so they don't show on your news feed (or whatever they call it now) page. It's weird because it won't suppress absolutely everything, but it will get rid of most. Facebook is all about things being automatic and their system knowing better than you about what you want to see or not see. So with that and not actually clicking to her Facebook timeline, you shouldn't have to see it much. There won't be any alerts sent to the other person, etc. But, perhaps you have some reason why you wouldn't even do that.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:28 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,069,717 times
I would write a comment on her FB post telling her exactly what I thought of her.

Of course, she would likely delete my post and unfriend me, but I couldn't be friends with someone who KNOWS their cat is likely to be killed by coyotes (what a scary, horrible, painful death) and doesn't care.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:57 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,357,424 times
Yep, you can change what you are able to see on your page if you do not want to unfriend her.

Go to her page and where it says friends towards the right of the page, click on that.

There will be a pull down menu that you can check or uncheck the things of her you would like to see.

To get to that, click on settings in the drop down menu.

Once there it will be self explanatory and you can choose the things of hers you do and do not want to see.

I hope that helps you and I understand how you feel...

Of course you could also do as Karen has suggested...wahahahahaha!

Old 01-17-2013, 08:05 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,018,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
Yep, you can change what you are able to see on your page if you do not want to unfriend her.

Go to her page and where it says friends towards the right of the page, click on that.

There will be a pull down menu that you can check or uncheck the things of her you would like to see.

To get to that, click on settings in the drop down menu.

Once there it will be self explanatory and you can choose the things of hers you do and do not want to see.

I hope that helps you and I understand how you feel...

Of course you could also do as Karen has suggested...wahahahahaha!
OMG thank you for this explanation I have an "friend" on FB that posts tons of stuff everyday that I really don't want to see. I have had 2 people tell me how to hide her without deleting her completely and could never figure it out. you have made my day. thanks

Old 01-17-2013, 08:07 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,357,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
OMG thank you for this explanation I have an "friend" on FB that posts tons of stuff everyday that I really don't want to see. I have had 2 people tell me how to hide her without deleting her completely and could never figure it out. you have made my day. thanks
Your welcome!

Old 01-17-2013, 08:42 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,991,242 times
Geeze, how depressing. People don't value what they get dirt cheap or for free. They don't value wildlife any more than they do their cats. I think it would be hard for me to remain friends with someone with her attitude.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:23 AM

575 posts, read 1,996,290 times
Here is my theory FWIW. She has to know how you feel about this, obviously you have spoken to her about this before and made no secret about it. However, she continues to ask your opinion on such matters as the next in line cat's name.

I have such a friend - nothing to do with cats, but more personal matters like deadbeat boyfriend and the like. It's a constant what should I do when he's a crap bag to me? blah blah blah.

You don't have to be blatantly unkind - but my idea of being a friend is telling the truth. At some point one of two things will happen - it will either sink in, or she will quit asking you.

Don't talk to her until you can not be overly "ugly" to her - but I think it is important that she's treating these cats like they are disposable. She's letting them wreck the wildlife. And, no that's NOT just the way it is. Somebody has to bare the burden of responsibility with people such as your friend and keep trying to impress on them this is NOT how companions animals are kept. Love them enough to keep them indoors.

Old 01-17-2013, 04:07 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,851,244 times
I think it is completely fair to say "Look, we've had these conversations in the past. You know already how I feel. When you insist on asking me questions and telling me stories about your treatment of your pets, it only makes me angry and upset. We need to not talk about this from now on."

Personally, I've cut off contact from family members for things like this. I also have pretty much stopped seeing my former best friend...we used to be very close, now I only see him once a year.

But if this is a relationship you strongly value, you need to draw that line the sand. If she tries to bring up the subject again after you're said the above, just say "I'm sorry, we agreed not to talk about this. Let's change the subject."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats