Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 07:52 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,710,350 times

Advertisements

Grass is good for cats, so they can throw-up hairballs.
Indoor kitties should always have fresh grass available.

I grow organic grass for my cat and she is always muching down on it.

But now I have been keeping her from it, I give her a little but not as much as she would like to eat- because-
she throws up a couple times a day, and I notice that it is liquid, not hair.

So I'm thinking this grass is not doing her good, at least not too much of it.

Any thots?
Does anyone notice if their kitty throws up this often?

Thanks,
ellen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 08:31 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,993,078 times
My 4 cats have access to grass all the time. If she's only getting it once in awhile she may be overeating it. Try leaving it down 24/7.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:50 AM

20,393 posts, read 14,661,936 times
What kind of grass do you guys recommend? I am really, REALLY bad with plants...but saw some little containers of "gluten free wheat grass" branded for cats at the Petsmart nearby...

Is this good?

I like how it's already grown to a pretty respectable degree by the time you buy it, and if I killed it I could just buy more. I have more money than time, and seriously have proven that I can kill just about any plant, no matter how foolproof anyone thinks it is to care for...I just has no green mojo, at all!

Old 02-09-2013, 07:27 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times
I think cats eat grass since they don't get much vegetable in their diet. Probably they try to eat too much at one time that's why they throw up.

Old 02-09-2013, 09:28 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,576,592 times
I don't like my cats to eat grass. They do have access to it in the summer, because I take them (harnessed, supervised at all times) into a fenced yard, and two of them eat the grass in the yard. Neither one brings it back up, which means they have to pass it out through the bowel, which is not good for them. But I don't want to deprive them or me of the pleasure of our outings in nice weather.

I am not convinced that grass is "good" for cats. I know most will munch on it, or on house plants, given the chance, but I don't think it is because it "helps with hair balls" or for any other reason than because cats like to chew on things. Funny, my one cat who likes to ingest things she shouldn't (foam rubber, Styrofoam, and tape for instance) has no interest in eating grass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
I think cats eat grass since they don't get much vegetable in their diet. Probably they try to eat too much at one time that's why they throw up.
Cats are obligate carnivores, they don't need vegetables. Unfortunately many commercial cat foods have more vegetables (and grains) than meat. This is not a good thing.

I think they probably throw up grass, those that do throw it up, because grass is not something they can digest.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:39 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Well our cat, who is rarely out like I have said before does eat grass. Sometimes it comes right back up, sometimes not. She loves to be let out in the morning, usually for about 5 to 10 minutes, she will go right to the grass,eat a little, check out the patio area (for what I have no idea) then she comes back in. That is her adventure for the day....

Old 02-11-2013, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
What kind of grass do you guys recommend? I am really, REALLY bad with plants...but saw some little containers of "gluten free wheat grass" branded for cats at the Petsmart nearby...
That's short lived wheat grass. Cats love it. I dig up grass from the yard for them. I try to get a few different types to pot up together. When it looks the worse for wear, I replace it.

Quote:
Is this good?

I like how it's already grown to a pretty respectable degree by the time you buy it, and if I killed it I could just buy more. I have more money than time, and seriously have proven that I can kill just about any plant, no matter how foolproof anyone thinks it is to care for...I just has no green mojo, at all!
It is good and will last a few weeks in a sunny window. Don't forget to water it.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:23 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Some cats just have sensative stomachs and bad eating habits. Our cat often gulps down her food and then throws up. Sometimes she eats it too quickly again and then throws it up again. I do not think you cna teach a cat to eat slowly.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:26 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,576,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Some cats just have sensative stomachs and bad eating habits. Our cat often gulps down her food and then throws up. Sometimes she eats it too quickly again and then throws it up again. I do not think you cna teach a cat to eat slowly.
No, but you can control portions. Feed scheduled meals (3 meals a day), and feed those meals in small portions spaced a certain amount of time apart. (i.e. at each meal, put down a tablespoon of food, 15-30 minutes later put down another tablespoon of food) instead of large meals or free feeding.

People have come to believe that it is normal for cats to puke often. I used to think so too. Regurgitation is not normal.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Or feed them more frequent but smaller meals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats