Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 06:20 PM

2,280 posts, read 4,514,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Yes, I agree with NRaleigh, I think either you've gotten the chain confused with another or severely out of date. Perhaps you're thinking of Petland which is a franchise chain which may still have locations that sell puppies or kittens. (I thought perhaps sometime within the last couple years even they may have caved chain-wide, but I'm not certain of that. Will try to look it up.)

I've seen Petsmarts for around 15 years or more and have never seen them sell any dogs or cats. Same with Petco by the way. Both stores have cats in the store, placed there by local shelters for adoption. Petco is a little newer with that seems like; Petsmart stores have been built for years with a specific closed off room for the cats, making it a little nicer for them. (The Petco near me just has portable kennel units on the floor. They're nicer than most examples of these I've seen but still open to the noises of the store. Although the Petco store is quieter than Petsmart.)

Both stores invite the shelters and other rescues to have periodic events where they might bring dogs. Sometimes it's additional cats for these events. The only other reason you'd see a dog there, apart from a customer bringing in one which they encourage, is for grooming.

Both stores do sell other small animal pets, birds and fish. I used to see rabbits in Petco but I think even that has stopped. I don't believe either sell rabbits anymore but I'm not 100% certain. This would be good, though, since there seems to have been an increase in shelters that have adoptable rabbits.
Oh! Petland and Petsmart are two different stores! Oh my goodness, huge thanks for telling me that there are two who sound so alike! I am relieved about Petland! Great news! Thanks!

Yes, our local Petco stores are pretty darned nice about having permanent shelter cats in good, nice, cages on display ALL of the time so that they will get homes, and they do!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 06:36 PM

2,280 posts, read 4,514,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
Martha Anne just a FYI....We've been going to PetSmart for years and I have never seen them sell puppies. They allow rescue groups to bring their cats and dogs for adoption events. I fostered a dog through one of those rescue groups....we just happened to be walking into PetSmart for dog toys and left with a foster pup that needed a home until it was adopted.
This is great and thanks!!

Old 01-28-2013, 07:52 AM

1,758 posts, read 3,834,304 times
Hyperthyroid makes hair thin out and it might come out in clumps. Check the thyroid levels if that hasn't been done and/or nobody has suggested that. (I didn't have time to read the whole thread.)

Old 07-21-2013, 12:16 PM

1 posts, read 2,691 times
I have a stray older cat. She is an orange tabby. When she first came back early spring, she had matts but since she was a stray I didn't bother her. I showed her the brush and she let us brush her a couple of strokes, a couple of times. Then we noticed all the matts were gone. Then she got bald spots but the hair grew back. Then I noticed she was pulling the hair out with her teeth. She is such a sweet little older thing and I do worry about her. She now will come right into the house. (WE have two in and out cats and two outside strays) They all get along well, but I worry about her pulling her hair out. This is what led me to your site. I put my question in ask.com. I will check back later to see if anyone else has any more ideas. Thanks for being here! I was at my wits end.

Old 07-22-2013, 06:31 AM

1,765 posts, read 4,348,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
Martha Anne just a FYI....We've been going to PetSmart for years and I have never seen them sell puppies. They allow rescue groups to bring their cats and dogs for adoption events. I fostered a dog through one of those rescue groups....we just happened to be walking into PetSmart for dog toys and left with a foster pup that needed a home until it was adopted.

Same here. Saturday is rescue group day. I also have never seen them actually sell dogs (as opposed to birds and gerbils and fish, etc.)

Old 07-23-2013, 01:00 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,710,836 times
I know this is old but when my long hair looks like that I know its time for "the real" brushing. It usually happens around season change and he leaves little clumps if I don't groom him. I think its nice to take the cat into a professional groomer to really get the idea of how well they need groomed.

Old 07-27-2013, 09:24 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,766,281 times
Default Finding clumps of cat hair throughout my apartment

My Fiona has been doing this since the hot weather arrived. She's a Persian Mix and her hair is very thick and dense, and is medium-long in length.

I do brush her whenever she allows it, which isn't often. I think it's just normal for long haired cats and by the way, both your kitties are lovely

Old 04-21-2014, 12:33 PM

15 posts, read 49,563 times
I know this thread is a little old but I was googling "cat shedding in clumps," and this popped up. I have been doing some research and spoke with my vet, and here is what I've got so far, which at least in my case seems logical, maybe it can help:
My 10 year old rescue is shedding cotton balls (at least it looks like). She's very fluffy; she's a Turkish Angora and they don't really have an undercoat so it's all very long white hair. She is indoors only, but our temperatures here change dramatically and we have had the coldest winter ever. She normally sheds a lot, and there's always cat hair everywhere, but this is new. She was really sick for the past month with a respiratory infection from the house being so dry. My boyfriend and I had sinus trouble most of the winter ourselves. Apparently, sick cats don't shed as well and shedding is healthy (at least, normal shedding). Now that she is through her meds, she is eating much more, and shedding something fierce. There are no bald spots or anything, it's a healthy spring shed, even though if you saw the floor you'd expect to find a newly hairless cat somewhere...

Old 07-26-2014, 12:28 AM

1 posts, read 2,325 times
Back to cats leaving tufts of hair around the house. My 17 year old female has started to do that this past year. She has allergies and whatever they call feline asthma. I've been doing a lot of deep, deep cleaning around the house for the past year too and suspect she's reacting to the dust I've stirred up. I'm allergic to her, maybe she's allergic to me! I will verify what this situation can be with the vet at our next visit.

Old 07-26-2014, 12:39 AM

8,495 posts, read 4,160,449 times
Maybe it is because of the warmer weather in summer combined with his advanced age. Even humans when they get older, their hair thins out and sometimes it falls out easier. A cat gets very warm in the summer heat and maybe shedding hair is a way to keep themselves cooler. Maybe, his skin is really dry, too - you can tell if he has "dandruff" little bits of dead skin, maybe you can go to the pet store and get a special shampoo (if your cat is used to bathing, otherwise, it will not be a pleasant experience) or moisturizer for cats (better).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats