Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 12:03 PM

20,391 posts, read 14,661,936 times

Advertisements

I've lived my whole life with allergies and would not recommend you pass up a beloved companion for this reason, unless perhaps you also have asthma. Most cat allergies aren't life threatening otherwise...

Some allergy info from my research/experience:

1. Every person is different and responds or doesn't to different allergy solutions. One person will swear by allergy shots, for another they won't work at all.

2. If you choose Claritin or its generic (it works great for me, but see #1) you must take it every single day, at the same time more or less, whether you are symptomatic or not. It's a daily maintenance med. If you go off of it for a couple of months, it won't work as well when you start again until it builds up in your system. My kids and I take it year round, even before getting the cat, for seasonal allergy prevention.

3. People always mention the drowsiness side effect of Benadryl. The main ingredient in Benadryl is diphenhydramine hydrochloride, which is also the sleepytime ingredient in drugs like Unisom and Tylenol PM. In my opinion/experience Benadryl is not a "fix my allergies" drug, it's a "knock me out so I don't notice whether I'm having symptoms, because I'm comatose" drug. Your mileage may vary.

4. What others have said is totally valid, such as your reaction could have also been to the cat-rich environment, it may not be so bad if she's groomed, and I'd also go so far as to say that her coat and skin will be healthier if she's in a comfortable home instead of the stress of a shelter/cage setting. I know my kitten's fur is looking sleeker and nicer and he's grooming it better the longer he is in my home (2 weeks and counting, and the improvement is noticeable.)

I say go for it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 12:39 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,573,621 times
I've pushed back her pick-up date until Monday; waiting to hear from one of my advisors.

OK!!!! It's Monday and I can't wait any longer to hear the verdict.....do you have a beautiful calico kitty named Fiona in your house yet???? (paws crossed!!!)

Old 01-28-2013, 01:15 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times
I agree with CFoulke, am waiting to hear back! Fiona is really lovely and I hope she is now YOURS (or more likely you are now HERS!).

Old 01-28-2013, 04:00 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
In my opinion/experience Benadryl is not a "fix my allergies" drug, it's a "knock me out so I don't notice whether I'm having symptoms, because I'm comatose" drug. Your mileage may vary.
Usually I take Benadryl only at night, but sometimes I'll take it during the day and bite the tablet in half. It alleviates the allergy symptoms, but doesn't knock me out.

Love those high-tech, scientific solutions! LOL

Old 01-28-2013, 05:48 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,767,807 times
Yes! Fiona is now home with me; and you’re right, Karen, it’s already a case of me belonging to her . She was very vocal during the trip home and I think her stay at the Animal Care has fairly traumatized her. When I let her out of the pet taxi, I noticed she was shaking a bit.

So I showed her where her cat box is, gave her some food and now she’s prowling every square inch of her new realm.

Was hard to get a picture of her; right now she doesn’t want to be held or even petted very much, but during her prowling rounds she’ll come by me here at the computer.

When the clock struck the hour, she jumped, big time. Perhaps she’s never heard that sound before.

She's come up to me occasionally for a scritch behind her ear, and purrs very loudly when I do! It's a good sign.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:12 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,425,831 times
Sounds like you're off to a good start!

Old 01-28-2013, 07:32 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,360,429 times
Yay! Congrats on your new furbaby!! She is a pretty one! She'll be owning the place in a couple of days, I am sure!

Old 01-28-2013, 08:06 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,573,621 times
You are incredibly lucky to have such a beautiful baby girl. It was obviously meant to be and I do hope you two will have a wonderful time getting to know each other. She is just wonderful and I am happy that you chose a shelter cat. Good job!!!!

Old 01-28-2013, 08:15 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,767,807 times
Thank you so much!

Yeah, and she already is asserting herself: I had to go to the market and when I got back I couldn't find her anywhere. I knew she had to be here, but found no sight of her. Neither did she come out and by now I had my strong flashlight and was checking every nook & cranny.

Whoops! I finally looked up and found her in this alcove: (she wasn't asleep; camera just caught her blink.)

This was/is Not OK with me and when I was gently trying to get her out, she nipped at me. Didn't break the skin, but still . . .And two seconds before the nip, she'd been purring like crazy even whilst using all that resistant body mass thing which cats can do to avoid being moved.

She's not that big, but I'm pretty sure she's about 3 whole pounds overweight.

I was able finally to get her out of there, but guess what? She's already back up there. I guess my towels will be finding a new spot and I'll be getting one of those soft, round beds which will exactly fit right in there.

So yeah, I'm not so much in charge any more

Old 01-28-2013, 08:38 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Congrats. Sounds like she's making herself at home.

You'll just have to adjust ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats