Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 06:56 PM

41,943 posts, read 75,144,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel-BG View Post
I was told to feed him science diet dry kitten food for the first year but not sure since with my first purr baby, it was a long time ago and I fed him moist mixed with dry.
If dry food is what he's used to right now, go ahead and keep giving it to him until he gets used to his new home. Too many changes is never a good thing.

But, eventually, please consider giving him canned food. It's so much better for him.

Keep us posted on how he's doing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2013, 09:25 AM

130 posts, read 426,290 times
I tried putting a picture I took of him, he is so adorable, loves to cuddle (couldn't figure out how to add his photo). I am feeding him the science diet dry but adding small bites of chicken cutlet that I boil for 2 minutes. He is scheduled to have his check-up next week.

Old 02-03-2013, 06:53 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
Science Diet isn't good for cats, whether it's dry or wet. If you feed him high quality cat food, he'll do much better.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:18 PM

575 posts, read 1,995,302 times
I agree the Science Diet is not great but it that's what they were feeding him then I would keep him on that for a bit to reduce the stress on him. I would gradually start switching in a month or so when he's settled.

Congrats on your new baby! We ALL wish you well and MANY MANY years of happiness

Old 02-04-2013, 12:08 PM

My first boy was fed taste of the wild moist with some dry, my vet at the time told me that he needs dry for his teeth but I am reading otherwise.

I am not sure what brand to buy but figured let him get adjusted to his new home with me (he was adopted before by someone else). He seems happy so far and LOVES the real chicken that I add with his food and picks at the dry stuff.

I am trying to do research and may have to make my own after reading the above mentioned website link.

What do you all feed your purr babies?

Old 02-04-2013, 02:36 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
I feed mine Blue Buffalo dry, and Fancy Feast wet. When I lost my job, I couldn't afford to feed both wet and dry high quality food, so they get Fancy Feast classic.

Old 02-04-2013, 02:39 PM

20,361 posts, read 14,636,289 times
I try to stick with chicken and turkey varieties of canned food, the brands vary from Fancy Feast to Purina to Royal Canin babycat but I tried to find some of the best ratios of protien/fat/carbs available on the rather complex chart created by the lady vet who wrote up catinfo.org. It's an awesome website.

She also recommends rabbit, but I read somewhere that out of the few pet food companies that include rabbit meat, it comes from China. I haven't actually been able to find any so it's a moot point.

Unfortunately, most of the better options came in a pate format, and my cat is not so impressed with that. He wants shreds of meat...which all too often come in gravy, which is high in carbs. So we're doing like 70% "good for him" and 30% "tasty gravy food that he likes."

Also, though I know it's not really recommended, I feed a SMALL amount of dry. I put out about 1/4 cup when I leave for work, the general idea that when no one is home he can have a bit of a snack if he wants. He usually doesn't eat it all. We're using up the bag of Blue Buffalo dry kitten "evolution" food (won't be buying it again, but he does like it. I don't like how BB won't share real nutritional data with vets.) Around here, you absolutely can't find fresh refridgerated or frozen "raw" type cat foods. The stores have it for dogs, because here in CO people are obsessed with dogs...but not for cats. The irony being that cats have far more specialized nutritional needs than dogs do.

Nimbus is 5-6 months old, he eats a total of 6 oz of wet food and less than 1/4 cup dry every day.

I've noticed that if we feed him a 3 oz can of food 3 times daily, he will only eat about 2/3 of it...but if we give him a can twice daily, he will eat it all. So I'm thinking of backing it off to 2 times a day. The math works out to 6oz being what he needs/wants either way. Thoughts, anyone? I'd like to know what your schedule is like...

Old 02-23-2013, 05:54 AM

I bought him royal canin moist for kittens and mixed that with boiled chicken tenders. He loves it and I let the dry stay out while at work but a very small amount which he does pick at. For now, I'm feeding the science diet to the stray that comes around, I would have taken him out but he's too skittish. He had his first vet visit and he is doing fine, 5.7 pounds healthy and such a doll. Love him to pieces. He's such a happy boy.

Old 02-23-2013, 10:48 AM

2,280 posts, read 4,512,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel-BG View Post
My first boy was fed taste of the wild moist with some dry, my vet at the time told me that he needs dry for his teeth but I am reading otherwise.

I am not sure what brand to buy but figured let him get adjusted to his new home with me (he was adopted before by someone else). He seems happy so far and LOVES the real chicken that I add with his food and picks at the dry stuff.

I am trying to do research and may have to make my own after reading the above mentioned website link.

What do you all feed your purr babies?

I don't believe that dry food is good for the teeth. Many vets do not feel that way nowadays. I think it is a myth. I would avoid all dry food if at all possible. Get your cat to love wet.

Old 02-23-2013, 04:00 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
Congrats on your new fur baby. I adopted Jasper as an adult a few years ago, he does not really like wet food. I feed him Royal Canin dry food. He is pretty happy. He also likes to eat salmon, and tilapia. I feed him bites of whatever I am having for dinner, and I eat a lot of fish.

I do give him a can of Fancy Feast every other day, he mostly licks the gravy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats