Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 10:19 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
I stated that it was a no-kill shelter when I said that I was taking him there. I would never take an animal to a kill shelter. There's another shelter here, but it's a private shelter, and I don't know anything about it. They do have a Facebook page and get a lot of cats adopted, but they probably would have wanted a donation, which I don't have to spare.
Thank you. Sometimes I miss things in posts or don't have the time to read every post. He's pretty and friendly so will surely find a home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 12:05 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
Thank you. Sometimes I miss things in posts or don't have the time to read every post. He's pretty and friendly so will surely find a home.
I'm sure he will, since it's not kitten season (yet!). I may try to go down there next week and see if he's still there.

I hope to move before the next stray shows up, but I'm sure wherever I move to, they'll find me!

Old 02-07-2013, 04:51 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,029,485 times
Quote:
I'm sure he will, since it's not kitten season (yet!). I may try to go down there next week and see if he's still there.

I hope to move before the next stray shows up, but I'm sure wherever I move to, they'll find me!
Aw, what a handsome boy! I'm almost glad I didn't see this earlier, or else I'd be tempted. Unfortunately it's been well-established that my Monkey is only happy when he's the only cat in the house, and my <500sf place isn't big enough for him to avoid another cat..

Old 02-08-2013, 02:22 PM

2,280 posts, read 4,512,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
HOW can people just LEAVE a family member behind like this?!!!

He is very cute and looks friendly too -- I hope he gets a new home soon!
Our orange cat was dumped by Korean family who moved to NJ and "couldn't find him" so they just left him here on the streets. How do I know it was them? Because one day, after I adopted him, and used to let him go out in the daytime for a while (no more - I would never do that now, have wised up!), this Korean guy comes by and says, "Hey, that's Money! He's my next door neighbor's cat! I said to him, how did they lose him? He was out for almost a year and I was feeding him every day. He says, oh, they could't find him (2 blocks away, like I really believed them.) Cat had never been neutered either. Then the guy says, oh, do you want to have the phone number of my neighbors now in NJ? Here it is. I said to him, they can go to you know where.

Old 02-08-2013, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
So sad, for the people as well as the pets. I can't imagine leaving my cats behind, but then again I've not been in a desperate position before, either.

Anyway, he's a beautiful cat and I hope he finds a better home next time around. Thanks for taking care of him.
Nobody who cares leaves a cat behind, no matter how "desperate".

Old 02-08-2013, 02:25 PM

Quote:
I live in a low income area. People leave/dump their cats all the time, and this is the third one that has come to me. In my area, no one runs ads or puts up notices unless your selling baby clothes at a yard sale. Notifying the police? Where I live, the police are busy trying to keep the crimes down, and watching for prostitutes.

One cat that came to me was so thin that you couldfeel her ribs. I took her to the shelter and one of the volunteers took her home. The second cat that came to me (Skittles), I gave to one of my neighbors because it didn't work out with me. My neighbor moved to Idaho and all three cats went with him. The back seat of his Ford Focus had two cat carriers, and the passenger seat had one. Everything else got shipped and a little went in the trunk.

Unfortunately, people leave and dump their pets all the time, and not just in low income areas.
There is NO EXCUSE.

Old 02-08-2013, 03:03 PM

20,363 posts, read 14,636,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Anne View Post
Nobody who cares leaves a cat behind, no matter how "desperate".
I hate to come back to this, because this isn't about me, this thread. But that word was the one I used.

And I hear you, Martha Anne...and hopefully there are more options now than there were in 1999, and well...you know my story, if you read it. I'll feel awful about it till the day I die. But I really don't know what else I could have done, other than just to have my Gimbus put down, at the time...I really had no business having a cat.

The only shelter in the area tells you they are full to capacity and actively euthanizing cats.
No one you know will take your cat.
You are starving, broke, and losing your home, relocating on a Greyhound bus to a new state, with a 4 month old infant, and can't take the cat with you.

What do you do?

I cared. I just didn't see another way. I saw it coming, I looked for alternatives, I couldn't find any. So I gradually released my boy into the area around that house, and talked a neighbor into leaving food and shelter for him (she had a bunch of indoor dogs and didn't want a cat in her house, but was willing to try and help him a bit.)

I guess I'm just saying that there is desperate and there is desperate...but real desperation is relatively rare I think. I imagine you're right in that most abandoners just simply don't care.

Old 02-08-2013, 03:24 PM

In my neighborhood, people get cute little kittens, and when they get bigger let them out, and never get them fixed. Or they do the same and leave the cat behind when they move out. Luckily, there are enough people that put food out for the strays, and if they're lucky enough to make it to my complex, there's even more food.

My two cats are seniors that were left behind in the complex at least 10 years ago. I moved in and started feeding the strays. Three months later Snickers walked in and stayed, and four years later Smokey walked in and stayed. I would love to have more, but can't afford it. I had 12 at one time, and just can't do that again.

Old 02-16-2013, 01:28 AM

Update:

The gray kitty has been adopted. They neutered him, did a behavioral assessment, named him "Chaylito," and put him up for adoption. As of Valentine's Day he was on their website, but his picture is now gone, which means he got a new home. I hope it's a good one!

Old 02-16-2013, 01:31 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,153,320 times
Quote:
Update:

The gray kitty has been adopted. They neutered him, did a behavioral assessment, named him "Chaylito," and put him up for adoption. As of Valentine's Day he was on their website, but his picture is now gone, which means he got a new home. I hope it's a good one!
You done good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats