Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2013, 10:16 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,530,389 times

Advertisements

So cats have been coming by regularly now. Nothing on Saturday night oddly, but last night they were pretty active, despite some rain at one point at least (they might have come when it wasn't raining). Temps have been milder but they do seem to like to have a snack. I moved the food bowl a little closer to get some better views but still not clear to me after studying all of these captures if there are 2 or 3 cats.

Thought you might want to see the cast of characters. It's in the night vision from the video cam though, so not very clear.

Here's the main star, this tabby and white cat who started it all by showing up while we were sitting in the room. Has shown up a few more times while I was here, including tonight a little while ago. Does not hang around while we're looking, but does turn up. Looks in the window, perhaps looking for Amber. Amber was sleeping right over by the door tonight and didn't see, LOL, (and not the first time for that!) but other times I can tell she's looking by reflection in the glass.
Attached Thumbnails
Cats out back (now w/ night vision pics)-tabbywhite.jpg   Cats out back (now w/ night vision pics)-tabbywhite2.jpg   Cats out back (now w/ night vision pics)-tabbywhite3.jpg   Cats out back (now w/ night vision pics)-tabbywhite4.jpg  
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 10:20 PM

The same cat, or different? The night vision of this camera makes it hard to tell. Possibly it is the same tabby, with the distance and such making it look that much lighter. Or, this is a different cat with lighter markings. The other day after careful analysis I was ready to conclude it was the same. Now I'm not so sure again!
Attached Thumbnails
Cats out back (now w/ night vision pics)-differentwhite3.jpg   Cats out back (now w/ night vision pics)-differentwhite4.jpg  

Old 02-11-2013, 10:27 PM

Even if that is the same cat, this is the more elusive fluffier cat, longer-haired and has only come when nobody was here. Although last night it made a somewhat early appearance at 10:00; normally it's in the wee hours. Often they make multiple appearances during the night. For the last few days or so the camera has been up during the day too, and they don't come during the day.
Attached Thumbnails
Cats out back (now w/ night vision pics)-fluffier.jpg   Cats out back (now w/ night vision pics)-fluffier2.jpg  

Old 02-11-2013, 10:34 PM

And last night we added this one to the cast. Ooops! Well, apparently it's nothing to get too alarmed over, but if this guy keeps coming back I guess I'll have to figure out something different and not leave the food out all night. I don't want to FEED it exactly. Seems to have come in the middle of the rain, and also possibly tilted the bowl over (which might have been helpful; later the cats still visited and appeared to eat so it wasn't all gone). The bowl was in normal position by the next capture though, so perhaps it is an illusion.
Attached Thumbnails
Cats out back (now w/ night vision pics)-notcat.jpg   Cats out back (now w/ night vision pics)-notcat2.jpg  

Old 02-11-2013, 10:56 PM

15,109 posts, read 32,123,578 times
To me, it looks like three different cats. And possums just love cat food! When I had a bowl of dry food on my side porch for the strays, I had a possum having a snack at 10:30am. After that, I just put it out when a cat came by.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
To me, it looks like three different cats. And possums just love cat food! When I had a bowl of dry food on my side porch for the strays, I had a possum having a snack at 10:30am. After that, I just put it out when a cat came by.
A possum in the midday? That's very weird. Ah well. The camera is pointed at the bowl so it should catch most any motion and grab a few frame captures. So day or night right now (as long as Amber doesn't knock it over or otherwise wreck it, which she hasn't so far) I should get a capture of anything, although we do have some blind spots during the evening while we have certain lights on. If we don't glimpse them live at that point then we would miss something then. The camera is blinded by the reflection. Next thing you know I'll be getting an outdoor model, LOL. I already had this one to watch Amber when away. If the possum comes round too much I'll do something different with the food, pretty much guessing I will have to do that. I don't want it progressing to raccoons or anything. Or skunks, I imagine that would be just lovely....

Old 02-12-2013, 06:21 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,341,232 times
Cool pictures!

Old 02-12-2013, 06:44 AM

I know Amber has seen the cats, or at least the one, a number of times before, and I've witnessed it at least once. Last night the camera captured them having a few words. In the first pic you can clearly see Amber at left and in reflection.

Note if you look carefully above you can also see Amber's reflection in the possum pics, at least the first one. The possum was back last night, the first visitor after lights out. Hmph. Not surprising though. And there was on frame with the fluffier cat, although it also had Amber there so it may have run off reacting to Amber. The tabby white almost makes me think it's coming purposely to interact with Amber, but that would be kind of weird, not exactly a normal cat behavior I wouldn't think.
Attached Thumbnails
Cats out back (now w/ night vision pics)-tabbywhite5.jpg   Cats out back (now w/ night vision pics)-tabbywhite6.jpg  

Old 02-12-2013, 07:35 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,886,124 times
It looks like 3 different cats. The food will draw coons, possums and neighborhood dogs - depending where you live. Coyotes also like cat food.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:47 AM

365 posts, read 488,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
It looks like 3 different cats. The food will draw coons, possums and neighborhood dogs - depending where you live. Coyotes also like cat food.
Homeless people might eat cat food too don't forget that.
If you keep leaving food out a stray might be very attracted to coming around your house more often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats