Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 11:39 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,820,864 times

Advertisements

Petsmart is no longer carrying the food we have fed out 14 year old cat. I need to find another. We do not live in a big city so whatever it is must be convenient or one that I can find easily when I do get into the larger town. The local vet carries Hill Science Diet. What is the general opinion on this line? Any opinions would be welcomed. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 11:59 AM

15,110 posts, read 32,127,116 times
What brand of food were you feeding your cat? You can always order it.

Old 01-23-2013, 12:29 PM

20,210 posts, read 14,434,494 times
According to the awesome vet lady who wrote up catinfo.org, Hill's Science Diet is not so good. Very high in carbs, which is not good for cats. You can go to that site and find her comprehensive chart detailing the numbers on protein/fat/carbs and make your own decisions...I've culled out some selections that seemed to have a decent nutritional profile which I'm buying at the store now. My list includes:

Eukanuba Kitten ChickenFancy FeastChicken FeastTender varietiesChunky chicken/turkey feastsKitten tender turkey feastMerrick - Cowboy Cookout or Pot Pie flavorsNature's Logic - Chicken/Rabbit (not to be fed exclusively, but good.)Nature's Variety - Instinct (Grain Free) High in fat, only feed sometimes.Pro PlanChunky chicken entréeChicken & Liver entréeTurkey & Giblets (VERY good numbers.)Kitten variety Chicken & LiverPurina OneChicken PateTurkey PateBeef Pate(Gravy/sauce varieties have high carbs. )Royal Canin - Babycat variety has the best numbers.Tiki brand - Puka Puka Luau or Koolina Luau only

Old 01-23-2013, 05:31 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,820,864 times
He eats Eukanuba. Seems to be good for him.
I am aware that cats need more protein than dogs and I do want a high quality food for him.

I will look at that web site. Any more opinions?

Thanks for the replies so far!

Old 01-23-2013, 08:31 PM

15,110 posts, read 32,127,116 times
Mine eat Blue Buffalo and Merrick, and they love it.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:42 PM

41,718 posts, read 74,654,678 times
My two like some Natural Balance, some Avoderm, Nutro, various Merrick varieties, and Halo.

Occasionally I'll let them have a junk food meal like Fancy Feast or Friskies (they love the lamb flavor!).

They also get a teaspoon or so of Blue Buffalo dry food once a day. I keep forgetting they don't like Blue Buffalo canned food, and when I put it down for them, they look at me as if to say: "We ain't eating that dreck!" LOL. Someday I'll learn ...

They don't like pate, either. I appreciate the brands that let you know if they're pate, or sliced, or whatever on the outside of the can.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:21 AM

20,210 posts, read 14,434,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
My two like some Natural Balance, some Avoderm, Nutro, various Merrick varieties, and Halo.

Occasionally I'll let them have a junk food meal like Fancy Feast or Friskies (they love the lamb flavor!).

They also get a teaspoon or so of Blue Buffalo dry food once a day. I keep forgetting they don't like Blue Buffalo canned food, and when I put it down for them, they look at me as if to say: "We ain't eating that dreck!" LOL. Someday I'll learn ...

They don't like pate, either. I appreciate the brands that let you know if they're pate, or sliced, or whatever on the outside of the can.
Nimbus isn't a fan of Blue Buffalo wet food, or pate either. He does like Purina One kinds that have bits of meat, and Royal Canin kitten food. At the outset I was impressed with the shiny packaging and bought the BB food, including a bag of dry...I give him about 1/4 cup of dry (mix of BB and Royal Canin kitten kibble) during the day while everyone is gone at work/school. I don't want dry food to be a really big part of his nutrition, but feel bad leaving him for almost 8 hours during the day without so much as a snack. He usually doesn't eat all of it but I can tell he's munched a bit.

I think I might take the cans of food he doesn't like, that I bought before I knew that, and donate them to one of the local rescues...he won't eat it but I'm sure somebody would.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:35 AM

41,718 posts, read 74,654,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I think I might take the cans of food he doesn't like, that I bought before I knew that, and donate them to one of the local rescues...he won't eat it but I'm sure somebody would.
That is a fantastic idea!

Old 01-25-2013, 04:21 PM

2,211 posts, read 2,910,322 times
I've heard bad things about Hill's Science Diet so you may want to google it and read some reviews on it first.

I give 4 of ours a variety of canned brands and their favorite right now is Soulistic Chicken & Pumpkin (Petco) along with Primal raw (Specialty Pet Store). They go crazy over these two. I also just picked up a bag of Nature's Variety Instinct's Raw and am hoping and praying that my one finicky eater will try it. He has turned his nose up to EVERYTHING so far! I know dry kibble is a no no but that is all he will eat :-( Does anyone have a recommendation on the BEST dry on the market? I want him to at least have the best of the worst until I can get him transitioned over to wet/raw.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:49 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,628,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
I've heard bad things about Hill's Science Diet so you may want to google it and read some reviews on it first.

I give 4 of ours a variety of canned brands and their favorite right now is Soulistic Chicken & Pumpkin (Petco) along with Primal raw (Specialty Pet Store). They go crazy over these two. I also just picked up a bag of Nature's Variety Instinct's Raw and am hoping and praying that my one finicky eater will try it. He has turned his nose up to EVERYTHING so far! I know dry kibble is a no no but that is all he will eat :-( Does anyone have a recommendation on the BEST dry on the market? I want him to at least have the best of the worst until I can get him transitioned over to wet/raw.
I give my cat PureVita kibble as a daily treat (around 1/8 cup daily) in addition to her wet food, because she often decides she suddenly doesn't LIKE the wet food I'm giving her (even though she gobbled through three cans of it the week before). So I leave her a little to graze on overnight, that way she's not pouncing on the bed at 2AM demanding a different can.

It's grain-free. I sometimes add a sample pack of Grandmamae's Country Naturals for cats and kittens formula, to the bag of PureVita when the PV is low, and shake it up and give her a mix of the two. It's got grain in it, brown rice and pearl barley to be specific. No wheat or gluten. She really loves the stuff, but she doesn't get much of it. Plus she's not adverse to the water bowl (she's not an eager water drinker but she -does- drink out of the bowl a few times every day).

I also get free samples of whatever's grain-free/gluten-free at the petfood store, whenever they're offering, and mix that in the Pure Vita bag

Lastly, I sometimes allow her to have a few pellets of the Stella and Chewy's freezedried raw food as treats, when she's not getting it as her main wet food that day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats