Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 07:19 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,394,180 times

Advertisements

I have a cat, Buttons, who's about 8-9 years old. He has no known health problems. He's a tuxedo, black and white. But just recently, in about the last month or so, his black fur is turning gray/white! At first I thought it was where he is lying in the sun, but that doesn't seem to be the problem. Its on the areas he can access from grooming, so, not along the middle of his back. Perhaps its something in his saliva?

I doubt its age, because he isn't that old, and I've had many other tuxedo cats that lived for 14-20 years and never turned gray. Any ideas Perhaps its a vitamin deficiency?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 08:19 PM

2,087 posts, read 4,283,470 times
Movintime had almost the same thread a while back, you could access his profile and search his thread titles, but it was determined to be saliva induced.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:48 PM

I know we should take Buttons to a vet, but we simply can't afford it. The office visit alone is $50, but they always want to run a 'senior panel" which costs something like $400. We've spent literally thousands on other cats, but our finances are now severely limited. I just wish there was some quick way we could test for something---

like, for humans, you can get drugstore tests for blood glucose, cholesterol, etc, at least have some basic idea. BTW, are there any OTC tests for cats?

Old 02-14-2013, 10:23 PM

2,087 posts, read 4,283,470 times
I don't think there are any OTC tests, and my wonderful new [to me] vet said that even the IDEXX tests are not that effective for cats. He makes his own slides, looks at them under a microscope himself, then sends them off a non-IDEXX lab.

For the same price as an IDEXX CBC, 6 months ago, this lab found rare "smudge/basket" cells in Meeko's blood, indicating cancer, a sarcoma, and evidence of pancreatitis ... an ultrasound confirms a tumor in Meeko's stomach and blocked bile ducts in his pancreas, all of which were deemed to have been there 6 months ago. Meeko was ill when I adopted him (Sept 2011) it just wasn't evident until I got him home and spent a few hours with him.

I would also like to add that, before the ultrasound, but after the blood test results, my new vet asked if I would have my pet psychic, who was a vet, and is a PHD, ask Meeko if Meeko has cancer.

She didn't ask me for the test results, or ANY information related to the lab work, just asked if there was an area to focus on.

She then asked Meeko for permission to see inside him, and asked him to show her his stomach. She came up with the same results suggested by the blood work, and confirmed by the ultrasound. She suggested an ultrasound, and said that these anomalies [my word] would show up on an ultrasound.

Meeko also has low potassium which could account for his shaking his paws [often] like he stepped on something hot.

Find movintime's thread, the graying hair in his case was not serious, but I would Google potassium deficiency and greying fur, just a thought, or a hunch maybe.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:37 PM

Thanks, will do!

You know, we changed the cats food awhile back (we have 4 cats). They continue to eat the same canned food, but I switched from SD to Blue dry food. I thought the Blue was better, hence I was willing to pay a premium for it. Seems Buttons started turning gray when we switched to Blue!

Old 02-14-2013, 10:46 PM

Just like with humans, seems like going to the doc is simply asking for trouble. They tell me I have diabetes II, then high cholesterol, now its my thyroid! Ok, I do what they say, but seems all I'm doing is taking more and more pills, then its always another problem. And I can't get the docs to prescribe meds in a way to maximize my insurance benefits, so I end up paying about $300+ in copays every month, then, the cost of the office visit,.......

Old 02-14-2013, 10:47 PM

But I love Buttons and don't want him to grow old and suffer

Old 02-14-2013, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leanansidhex View Post
I don't think there are any OTC tests, and my wonderful new [to me] vet said that even the IDEXX tests are not that effective for cats. He makes his own slides, looks at them under a microscope himself, then sends them off a non-IDEXX lab.

For the same price as an IDEXX CBC, 6 months ago, this lab found rare "smudge/basket" cells in Meeko's blood, indicating cancer, a sarcoma, and evidence of pancreatitis ... an ultrasound confirms a tumor in Meeko's stomach and blocked bile ducts in his pancreas, all of which were deemed to have been there 6 months ago. Meeko was ill when I adopted him (Sept 2011) it just wasn't evident until I got him home and spent a few hours with him.

I would also like to add that, before the ultrasound, but after the blood test results, my new vet asked if I would have my pet psychic, who was a vet, and is a PHD, ask Meeko if Meeko has cancer.

She didn't ask me for the test results, or ANY information related to the lab work, just asked if there was an area to focus on.

She then asked Meeko for permission to see inside him, and asked him to show her his stomach. She came up with the same results suggested by the blood work, and confirmed by the ultrasound. She suggested an ultrasound, and said that these anomalies [my word] would show up on an ultrasound.

Meeko also has low potassium which could account for his shaking his paws [often] like he stepped on something hot.

Find movintime's thread, the graying hair in his case was not serious, but I would Google potassium deficiency and greying fur, just a thought, or a hunch maybe.

That's interesting, about the pet psycic. I do believe animals have souls, and feelings, just like humans. perhaps they are an interface between our world and another world.

Old 02-15-2013, 08:51 AM

20,364 posts, read 14,636,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Thanks, will do!

You know, we changed the cats food awhile back (we have 4 cats). They continue to eat the same canned food, but I switched from SD to Blue dry food. I thought the Blue was better, hence I was willing to pay a premium for it. Seems Buttons started turning gray when we switched to Blue!
More expensive, in this case, does not equal better food. If you haven't yet, have a peek over at www.catinfo.org. This vet is not the only one asking for REAL nutritional numbers, which are NOT printed on labels (they have minimums and maximums, not actual percentages or proportions on pet food labels.) Blue Buffalo is one brand that has refused to give this information--the most important bit being out of dry matter calories, what percentage come from carbs/protein/fat--they have stated that it is proprietary information. In other words, the nutritional facts are some kind of a trade secret. Looks like THEY aren't ready to take any kind of a "true Blue test"...why would they keep quiet about this if the numbers made them look like the healthy food they claim to be? My vet also told me to stay away from this brand for this reason, and because he said he has seen dogs develop digestive problems on it. My vet said that there are several varieties of the more common brands such as Purina and even Fancy Feast that have given up the numbers, and there is "science behind these foods."

It's commonly thought that wet food in general is vastly superior to dry, there is no benefit to feeding dry food according to the most progressive opinions on cat nutrition...however this is definitely a matter of debate. And certainly some cats live long healthy lives on dry kibble. You can find Forti Flora on Amazon: Purina FortiFlora Feline Nutritional Supplement, box of 30 x 1 gram packages: Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food

...and as another poster has mentioned, it is flavored by this "animal digest" stuff that appeals to cats, more importantly to you if your cat only wants dry foods--the powder they coat the dry food with to make it taste good, it's this same stuff. So sprinkling a bit of this on the wet food might make it "taste right" to kitty, and it's good for digestion. Just don't overdo it.

EDIT: I think I got my threads confused LOL! But um...the first bit is relevant. I'm just gonna...uh...copy and paste now...um...
Best wishes!

Old 02-15-2013, 09:57 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Just like with humans, seems like going to the doc is simply asking for trouble. They tell me I have diabetes II, then high cholesterol, now its my thyroid! Ok, I do what they say, but seems all I'm doing is taking more and more pills, then its always another problem.
Your diabetes can often be controlled by diet alone. Many Drs are having their patients do this rather than putting them on the pills or injections. It's also a lot safer for people. This goes for cats also. Before carb (sugar) loaded dry kibble, diabetes in cats was rare. Now it's as common as human diabetes.

Quote:
And I can't get the docs to prescribe meds in a way to maximize my insurance benefits, so I end up paying about $300+ in copays every month, then, the cost of the office visit,.......
It sounds like you need to switch Drs. My GP and Oncologist always prescribe so my meds are free with my plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats