U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 05:49 PM

816 posts, read 1,214,260 times

Advertisements

So my cat is about 7 months old and I got her from a humane society. She has all her shots and is spayed and is a completely healthy cat. She has been very outgoing, playful, and affectionate since I've had her, but today when I woke up I noticed she was acting very strange.

I first noticed she was running around the house very fast and low to the ground with her tail down as if she were terrified of something. Then she kept jumping on my lap (something she never does) and would not get off or move and when I tried moving her, she would grip on to my pants with her claws and would not move. Then she started hiding underneath and behind things and would not come out. When she did come out, again, she would run very quickly low to the ground with her tail down to another location to hide. Whenever I try to coax her out of hiding, she keeps meowing at me (another very strange behavior for her because she NEVER meows).

I am concerned about this odd behavior. Anyone have similar experiences with their cats? What could this be? I did vacuum today and I'm thinking she has a big fear of vacuums. She always did act a bit skittish after I vacuum but not this extreme.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 05:55 PM

6,487 posts, read 7,967,224 times
That is very odd. Could another animal have gotten into your house? Is there something close by outside that could be frightening her? The only time I have seen my cats walk low to the ground like that is when we drape something over their backs like a tee shirt or something as a joke.

Old 02-16-2013, 06:06 PM

No I highly doubt another animal has gotten in the house. I live in a small apartment. My roommates have a little harmless yorkie who gets along with my cat well for the most part.

Old 02-16-2013, 06:18 PM

I did feed her a can of wet food yesterday. I do that only once per week. Could that have something to do with this behavior? Perhaps constipation or upset stomach from the food?

Old 02-16-2013, 06:32 PM

2,274 posts, read 4,046,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armstrong View Post
So my cat is about 7 months old and I got her from a humane society. She has all her shots and is spayed and is a completely healthy cat. She has been very outgoing, playful, and affectionate since I've had her, but today when I woke up I noticed she was acting very strange.

I first noticed she was running around the house very fast and low to the ground with her tail down as if she were terrified of something. Then she kept jumping on my lap (something she never does) and would not get off or move and when I tried moving her, she would grip on to my pants with her claws and would not move. Then she started hiding underneath and behind things and would not come out. When she did come out, again, she would run very quickly low to the ground with her tail down to another location to hide. Whenever I try to coax her out of hiding, she keeps meowing at me (another very strange behavior for her because she NEVER meows).

I am concerned about this odd behavior. Anyone have similar experiences with their cats? What could this be? I did vacuum today and I'm thinking she has a big fear of vacuums. She always did act a bit skittish after I vacuum but not this extreme.
It sounds neurological and sounds very bad. I had a rescued kitten who did that when she was one. Did you go to the vet? You need to, pronto. Been there, done that. Have had the same symptoms in my rescued cat 30 years ago - please hurry.

Old 02-16-2013, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Anne View Post
Please don't think it is just you, but why does everyone go around starting with "so"? I find it SO annoying and tiresome LOL! SO THERE
Unnecessary post... Either offer some advice or don't post in my thread. Keep those comments to yourself. Thanks

Old 02-16-2013, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Unnecessary post... Either offer some advice or don't post in my thread. Keep those comments to yourself. Thanks
I was just teasing...please read my serious post. Your cat needs to see a vet immediately.

Old 02-16-2013, 06:34 PM

Quote:
It sounds neurological and sounds very bad. I had a rescued kitten who did that when she was one. Did you go to the vet? You need to, pronto. Been there, done that. Have had the same symptoms in my rescued cat 30 years ago - please hurry.
Oh wow... that definitely does not sounds good. It is just so strange. Ever since I've had her she has just been very social and playful. Its like a switch went off in her head or something. I have not taken her to the vet yet. I will call them up on monday if this continues.

Old 02-16-2013, 06:36 PM

Quote:

Armstrong,

I have cared for many cats. All kinds of illnesses and conditions. Your cat needs a vet now. Your cat is experiencing an emergency.

If it were my cat, I would go to an emergency vet hospital tonight. Yes, it's that serious and you should not delay. If you feel you have to wait, go to one of those websites where you can pay a vet on-call by e-mail and you will get the same advice as I am giving you, trust me. Describe the symptoms and they will tell you it is neurological. I am thinking leukemia but it could be something else. You must not wait around - poor cat needs help now.

Old 02-16-2013, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Armstrong,

I have cared for many cats. All kinds of illnesses and conditions. Your cat needs a vet now. Your cat is experiencing an emergency.
Ok thank you very much. I am going to start making some phone calls now then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats