Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 06:52 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by faeryedark View Post
I just found this thread. I have two cats one male, and one female, both LOVE wet food. I'm shocked that people have cats that really want the dry stuff.
I do have a question about feeding raw, what about worms? Sorry if it's a dumb question. It seems that not long after mine eat any raw meat, I'm worming them
There are no dumb questions, when trying to learn about raw feeding.

Parasites, when a cat hunts his own meals outside is a real concern and any cat who goes outside should be de-wormed regularly.

Parasites live in the guts of the animals, not the muscle and secreting organ meat that is fed in a raw diet. If, in the remote possibility some parasite eggs do contaminate the meat during the cutting up, freezing will take care of it. Always freeze raw meat at a temperature of at least minus 10 degrees Fahrenheit (-10F) for a minimum of three days, before feeding to your cat.

My cats eat chicken breast, chicken gizzards and hearts, chicken liver and chicken thigh, turkey breast, turkey thigh, all cuts of beef and cornish hen (all cuts), from the grocery store. I cut everything up into one ounce portions, freeze in ice cube trays, store in plastic freezer bags. I never feed a meat until it has been frozen at least 3 days at -10F, and usually longer. I have a fecal float done on each cat once a year, for my own peace of mind, though I don't really think it's necessary.

Just to clarify there is much more to raw feeding than feeding plain cuts of muscle or organ meat, as that is not a balanced diet. I won't derail this thread anymore than this, if you want more info, feel free to send me a direct message and I will point you in the right direction for more information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 08:13 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Just to clarify there is much more to raw feeding than feeding plain cuts of muscle or organ meat, as that is not a balanced diet. I won't derail this thread anymore than this, if you want more info, feel free to send me a direct message and I will point you in the right direction for more information.
Maybe you can start an other thread on how to balance the raw diet for cats. My greatest fear is getting the wrong supplements to add or not adding enough etc. Raw food and wet food Canned), in my mind, would not be off topic.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:27 AM

20,364 posts, read 14,636,289 times
Our favorite reference site (catinfo.org) has a recipe for raw, including the supplements and everything, and a cost analysis. It looks to me like the initial purchase of the grinder and bulk supply of meat etc. will balance out to a very low cost per ounce over time.

The thing that I've read was, do you have the time or the money to spare? If you have money but no time, a decent quality wet diet is fine. If you have time, but less money, (and I'd add, if you have freezer space) then raw is a good option for you.

As far as cats who like to graze at inopportune times and dry kibble...I admit, though I consider my cat's diet to be a wet diet, he gets a "snack size" serving of a quality, high protein kibble for the long hours when no one is home to feed him during the day. But I don't really consider it a major part of his diet, because he's getting 3x 3 oz cans of wet, with a couple tablespoons of warm water mixed in, which he always consumes all of the water and most of the food (at least 2/3 of each meal) and then the kibble is 1/8-1/4 cup (approx) which he never quite finishes. It's more for if he gets really bored and wants to munch during the day than anything, and it's probably not really necessary...but I feel bad about leaving him from 7AM to 5PM with NOTHING to eat, and I know the wet food would be gross if I left it out.

I think we all adapt a means and a routine that works for our cats. And even those who feel strongly about wet diet, raw diet, etc aren't here to yell at anyone or tell them to change their ways, we're just happy to offer advice from our research.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:46 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Our favorite reference site (catinfo.org) has a recipe for raw, including the supplements and everything, and a cost analysis. It looks to me like the initial purchase of the grinder and bulk supply of meat etc. will balance out to a very low cost per ounce over time.
It's been some time since I read that entire site. I'll have to go over it again. I can't remember why I didn't switch them to raw several years ago when I got the 1st cats. They get raw meat, but will only consume a little of it. It's not more than maybe 10% of their diet.

Quote:
The thing that I've read was, do you have the time or the money to spare? If you have money but no time, a decent quality wet diet is fine. If you have time, but less money, (and I'd add, if you have freezer space) then raw is a good option for you.
Time and freezer space would be the problem. Also, beef and fish are so costly these days we seldom eat it ourselves. Pork and chicken are still affordable.

Quote:
As far as cats who like to graze at inopportune times and dry kibble...I admit, though I consider my cat's diet to be a wet diet, he gets a "snack size" serving of a quality, high protein kibble for the long hours when no one is home to feed him during the day. But I don't really consider it a major part of his diet, because he's getting 3x 3 oz cans of wet, with a couple tablespoons of warm water mixed in, which he always consumes all of the water and most of the food (at least 2/3 of each meal) and then the kibble is 1/8-1/4 cup (approx) which he never quite finishes. It's more for if he gets really bored and wants to munch during the day than anything, and it's probably not really necessary...but I feel bad about leaving him from 7AM to 5PM with NOTHING to eat, and I know the wet food would be gross if I left it out.
Ours are on canned food but we too leave out kibble if we're going to be gone most of the day. The good stuff, not the cheap grocery store kibble. They love it.

Quote:
I think we all adapt a means and a routine that works for our cats. And even those who feel strongly about wet diet, raw diet, etc aren't here to yell at anyone or tell them to change their ways, we're just happy to offer advice from our research.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:19 AM

18,047 posts, read 15,639,191 times
My cat is quite adept at throwing a temper tantrum if she's hungry and doesn't like her wet food. Oh she has plenty wet food to eat, fresh, just put down, and she'll turn to me and give me her most disgusted-sounding loooong Meooooooooowwwww! That's her demand for kibble (albeit non-grain low carb Evo kibble), but kibble nonetheless. There is no misunderstanding what she's saying. It's usually accompanied by a look and a death stare.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Old 02-19-2013, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
Maybe you can start an other thread on how to balance the raw diet for cats. My greatest fear is getting the wrong supplements to add or not adding enough etc. Raw food and wet food Canned), in my mind, would not be off topic.
I am not an expert on raw diet and am hesitant to give too much guidance on raw feeding. I am comfortable with the regimen of canned, commercial raw, and home made raw with certain supplementation I have worked out (with the help of people more knowledgeable than I am) for my cats, but am not all that comfortable with handing out specific advice. I'd rather direct people to resources where they can get really expert information to their specific questions.

I can start a thread posting links to raw feeding resources, if you think that would be helpful.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:30 AM

I think it would be cool to have a sticky thread in the Cats forum for feeding recommendations, to include any recall info we come up with, links to good raw recipes and sources for good deals on grinders or mail order frozen rabbits for instance, sales on good canned food or supplements, etc. I think it's a topic that comes up often enough to warrant a sticky "all things food" thread.

EDIT: It should be clear that it's not cool to get too feisty about debating the merits of various methods, just to give helpful info you have or find. Methinks.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:07 AM

18,047 posts, read 15,639,191 times
I would like a list of recommended wet foods that best meet Dr. Pierson's guidelines as healthiest for cats. Yes, I've seen her chart and the many hundreds of items on it. I'm overwhelmed.

I wish someone would just tell me what to feed my cat in terms of wet food. I do not have the time or space to get into making my own raw food. I doubt my cat would eat raw anyway. So among the commercially-available foods one can acquire, even if one has to obtain it from the Interwebs, which are the top 5 "healthiest wet foods" for cats?

Old 02-19-2013, 10:38 AM

Unfortunately, it's not as simple as just one brand of food. And do keep in mind that any of these listed kinds could get crossed off the "good" list due to (for instance) carrageenan or some other objectionable ingredient or the reputation of the company (recalls) or some other factor. But based ONLY on Dr. Pierson's gathered info, going for under 10% calories from carbs on a dry matter basis and then considering the balance of protein to fat, and eliminating all fish from the results...these selections pass that test:

(In other words, at the least you'd know you're not loading up on vegetable carbs if you are feeding these foods.)

Eukanuba Kitten Chicken (kitten varieties are OK for adults, too.)

Fancy Feast:
Chicken Feast
"Tender" varieties
Chunky chicken or turkey feasts
Kitten tender turkey feast

Merrick - Cowboy Cookout or Pot Pie flavors (check up on this company first though, I read something recently about recalls.)

Nature's Logic - Chicken/Rabbit (not complete enough to be fed exclusively but good for sometimes.)

Nature's Variety - Instinct (grain free) --somewhat high in fat, I wouldn't feed this exclusively.

Purina Pro Plan:
Chunky Chicken Entree
Chicken & Liver Entree
Turkey & Giblets (had very good numbers)
Kitten variety Chicken & Liver

Purina One:
Chicken, Turkey, or Beef pate (the gravy/sauce varieties have higher carbs.)

Royal Canin - Babycat

Tiki brand - Puka Puka Luau or Koolina Luau only

Raw foods (look online for them
Primal brand raw rabbit
Feline's Pride - raw turkey, cornish hen
Rad Cat chicken - turkey, or lamb

Old 02-19-2013, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
I would like a list of recommended wet foods that best meet Dr. Pierson's guidelines as healthiest for cats. Yes, I've seen her chart and the many hundreds of items on it. I'm overwhelmed.

I wish someone would just tell me what to feed my cat in terms of wet food. I do not have the time or space to get into making my own raw food. I doubt my cat would eat raw anyway. So among the commercially-available foods one can acquire, even if one has to obtain it from the Interwebs, which are the top 5 "healthiest wet foods" for cats?
I don't like to recommend specific brands any more. This is because formulas do change sometimes. Also, I never stop learning, so my opinions change, too. I spend a lot of time researching brands, and I check labels with every new shipment, I check recall lists, I check and check and check.

Brands I was recommending even 14 months ago I no longer feed my cats. So I just don't like to name brands.

I don't mind listing things I think people should avoid, and things they should look for. And as everyone knows, I recommend feed canned food only, or raw or a combo of both.

Feeding a variety helps dilute the less desirable ingredients. For instance if you want to avoid carrageenan, but just can't find enough carrageenan free foods your cat will eat. Feeding one brand with carrageenan, once every few days would be better than feeding it all the time. That's just one ingredient example.

Some may consider the care and interest we take with feeding our cats excessive. Well, those people don't have to participate in this thread or other food threads if they are not interested in learning.

Living with my cats is a way of life, a lifestyle I have consciously chosen. They aren't here, just to "have something living" in the house. They aren't around just to be here. They are here because I value greatly what they bring to my life, the pleasure and love and entertainment and enjoyment...and I take great pleasure and satisfaction in giving the same to them. It's a lifestyle choice, with me. They are active members of my household, every decision I make, I keep what is best for them foremost in my mind. I choose to center my life around my cats and what is best for them, because that is the way I like to live.

And that includes diet. I spend a lot of time in the kitchen now, preparing their meals, and recording what they eat and so on and so forth. I am willing to help other people make choices in the diet they feed their cats, and can even give some guidelines on how to do it. I will express opinions on specific brands, if someone asks about a specific brand.

For instance, ask me what I think about Weruva.Two years ago I would have said without reservation. Awesome food, no carrageenan, no spinach, feed it with no worries. Now I will say, it's good quality but read the labels, some are not grain or veggie free, and all but the fish formulas are extremely high in carbohydrates. Tapioca is not a good ingredient.

So I don't like to say "feed this brand and that brand" and nothing else. Because, as I said, this brand or that brand may not be an ideal choice a year from now or even a month from now.

I suspect I am rambling now, LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats