Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 11:34 PM

18,065 posts, read 15,658,847 times

Advertisements

Trying to get my cat to eat wet food on a consistent basis has been hugely challenging. Over the past few years I've tried different premium no-grain wet foods (Evo, Weruva, Trader Joes, Merrick, just to name a few). She would like one for a day or so, maybe a few days then reject. She does get some kibble as well (Evo non-grain).

Anyway, now she seems to like Fancy Feast. I select the ones that have turkey or chicken and choose the classic recipes or the ones with a bit more gravy in them. Then I add additional water to what's already in the can. I know FF is not the healthiest/best of wet foods, but it's better than no wet at all. And she's eating it, which beats wasting the premium food.

I guess I find it ironic that she often rejects the super premium brands--the ones that have the most meat in them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 04:52 AM

1,758 posts, read 5,492,573 times
I agree... at least it is wet!

I have found this product: Amazon.com: Vet's Best Hairball Relief Digestive Aid, 60 Chewable Tablets: Pet Supplies to work VERY well with transitioning kibble addicts to wet. Crush a tablet and sprinkle it over wet food. I recently used it to transition a dry fed shelter kitty to wet.
I also use it, as a food topper, for the felines that don't always like the brand or flavor of food being served.
It is marketed as being for hairballs, but does a whole lot more!

Also, transitioning a kibble addict to wet went muuuuuch easier when dry food was not available at all.

Old 02-17-2013, 04:59 AM

1,758 posts, read 5,492,573 times
PS
Usually the gravy foods are high in carbs and such. For info on carbs, proteins, and calories...check out Dr. Lisa Pierson's chart here:
http://www.catinfo.org/docs/FoodChartPublic9-22-12.pdf

Old 02-17-2013, 05:03 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,354,404 times
I give Kitty Katty fancy feast. It is what he likes..... =/

Old 02-17-2013, 09:13 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,157,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Trying to get my cat to eat wet food on a consistent basis has been hugely challenging. Over the past few years I've tried different premium no-grain wet foods (Evo, Weruva, Trader Joes, Merrick, just to name a few). She would like one for a day or so, maybe a few days then reject. She does get some kibble as well (Evo non-grain).

Anyway, now she seems to like Fancy Feast. I select the ones that have turkey or chicken and choose the classic recipes or the ones with a bit more gravy in them. Then I add additional water to what's already in the can. I know FF is not the healthiest/best of wet foods, but it's better than no wet at all. And she's eating it, which beats wasting the premium food.

I guess I find it ironic that she often rejects the super premium brands--the ones that have the most meat in them.
I went through this exact thing with a previous cat - premium canned food, ground raw, meat (cooked or uncooked)* were apparently inedible but he did love Fancy Feast.

*He did eat the mice he caught in my basement though....

Old 02-17-2013, 01:54 PM

2,029 posts, read 4,037,796 times
Congratulations on getting her to eat wet food.

Not ALL Fancy Feast is bad! The classic line, which is in pate form, is approved for diabetic cats because of it's low carb content.

Old 02-17-2013, 06:36 PM

2,280 posts, read 4,514,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouijeewoman View Post
Congratulations on getting her to eat wet food.

Not ALL Fancy Feast is bad! The classic line, which is in pate form, is approved for diabetic cats because of it's low carb content.

Thank you for the tip off. I have some cats who refuse my "good" stuff, too.

Old 02-17-2013, 06:42 PM

2,280 posts, read 4,514,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post

I face what you do ie my cats wanting "lesser" wet foods, but I have found that each of them will eat something that is a little higher grade than FF. Not that I think it is the end of the world to eat FF, but of course there is room for improvement <gg>.

So, I have Mr. Homeless accepting Science Diet Turkey and Giblets (but not the other flavors) which is a huge victory, because all he ever wanted was Friskies T&G and (now I know they can't eat fish) FF Seafood Feast. He loves Royal Canin dry which I was stupid enough to offer in SMALL quantities to all cats,mostly wet food and of course they went crazy for the Royal Canin Dry Adult Fit and act like it's crack cocaine LOL!

Have you ever tried: Natural Balance wet T&Giblets? I am amazed at the percentage of the 12 cats I feed who like it! Only 2 refuse it! That's really pretty good!

Old 02-17-2013, 07:35 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,157,968 times
I'm probably going to get beat up for this...but I have many, many "let's not get too precious about food" adecdotes.

Today's anecdote regards a Persian cat who is about 25, maybe 27 years old and still playful and active. Nobody knows exactly but he is way old. This is a cat I know personally. He goes outside on a daily basis, too. He also eats one can of generic tuna per day, every day, and has done so since sometime in the 1980s. Otherwise he gets ProPlan dry.

I am a total food snob, but have run into way too many junk-food dogs and cats that are extremely healthy despite years of "junk food" diets and way too many "raw/holistic/blah blah" fed dogs and cats who died despite woo woo wonderful diets.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:37 PM

18,065 posts, read 15,658,847 times
To my credit, I am adding additional water to the mix so she's getting even more water than what is already in the formula. It makes it a little soupy but she seems to be totally fine with that. It's letting me cut back on the Evo no-grain kibble. I don't mind if she eats a little (1/8 cup) of kibble per day, as long as I'm getting more wet food in her than dry. She could stand to lose a lb or 2, so fewer calories is a bonus with most wet food. She's as active as ever--at 3.5 yrs old she's still a hellion at times. Very spoiled.

Of course I wish she did like the premium canned foods like the 96% chicken or turkey from Evo. She simply thinks it's unacceptable. The healthier the food, the more she dislikes it. I did get her to finally finish off most of the remaining cans in the case of Weruva Paw Lickin' Chicken, which pleased me greatly, but I know better than to buy another case and tempt fate. As it was it took months to get those remaining cans eaten.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats