Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2013, 02:22 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,062,587 times

Advertisements

First let me explain I am well aware I am comparing apples to oranges but still there were some considerable differences between the CFA Cat Show we regularly attended in Atlanta at the Cobb Galleria.
Also it has been about 6-7 years since we've been to a cat show of anytime and that may account for some of the differences.
So I'll list some differences not in any particular order

Cages.
ATL Used to see wonderfully creative set ups for the cats with pretty curtains, hammocks etc. You could actually bend over and SEE the cats. Each cat cage was labeled with name of breed, age, weight, any interesting fact and Cattery info hand outs.
RAL(Raleigh) Practically everybody had these canvas and dark nylon mesh manufactured "cages" which made it next to impossible to see any of the cats. No printed info about the cats or their breeds or the cattery. Extremely disappointing.

Judging

ATL Each judge was miked so we could hear their banter and all the judges spoke at length about each breed, what the standards WERE, WHAT WAS PARTICULARLY WONDERFUL ABOUT EACH CAT. iT WAS ALWAYS FUN AND A GREAT LEARNING EXPERIENCE.
RAL: the judges were practically mute. I mean NOTHING. We tried to sit on the first row (if the exhibitors weren't already there). We finally found one judge was open to questions and she admitted "We sometimes forget not everybody here is an exhibitor and we ignore the spectators"
It became obvious that the show was geared towards exhibitors and NOT spectators. V ery Disappointing.

Vendors
ATL lots of fun one of a kind artistic jewelry, tee shirts, cat furniture.
RAL every vendor practically had the same overseas made crap. No furniture, nothing fun or unusual.

We did see some pretty kitties - short haired persian which had same smashed in face but shorter fur which felt like rabbit fur. I think she called him a Napolian.
Egyptian Maui which was runt of the litter and his siblings were 2 times bigger
beautiful Bengals
Japanese Bobtail
9 month old Maine Coon who already weighed 19 lbs!

And I do have to say the exhibitors who soon realized we were spectators went out of their way to answer our questions and were very kind to our girls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 04:34 PM

157 posts, read 587,302 times
I can see why you were disappointed, I too at one time enjoyed attending TICA or CFA shows just to look and admire all the different breeds and listen to the judges opinions...same reason I enjoy watching the Westminster Dog show on TV...
YOu should write a letter to the associations and state all what you've written here, may not change a dang thing but worth a try....)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats