Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 04:55 PM

575 posts, read 1,996,097 times

Advertisements

My cat who had most of his teeth removed for stomatitis - well it's a long story that I'll spare you - did fairly well for awhile post operative. If your veterinarian has the ability you may want to ask about cold laser therapy treatments to help with the healing.

My kitty was a complicated case. What I will say is that it helped his discomfort tremendously and if your vet has the equipment, it will speed up your kitty's recovery so very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2013, 07:00 PM

2,280 posts, read 4,514,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittymom4 View Post
My cat who had most of his teeth removed for stomatitis - well it's a long story that I'll spare you - did fairly well for awhile post operative. If your veterinarian has the ability you may want to ask about cold laser therapy treatments to help with the healing.

My kitty was a complicated case. What I will say is that it helped his discomfort tremendously and if your vet has the equipment, it will speed up your kitty's recovery so very much.
Was your cat somewhat older than Precious? (She was almost 9 months old when the teeth were removed last week.) The vets all said that the younger, or sooner, the better, with this condition. It is an easier surgery, apparently, when they are younger, and the longer the stomatitis has existed I believe (I could be wrong) they said the greater the overall damage to the gums and also the lymph glands in the back of the mouth or ?neck become also infected and inflamed. (Our Dirty Cat, rescued recently from the colony at about age 7, has suffered from chronic gum disease, poor boy, for years, apparently, and his lymph glands will always be chronically inflamed, although antibiotics have helped.)

As far as cold laser therapy is concerned, my vet does not subscribe to the use of this therapy. I think she said that the research does not prove that it is effective.

See this: Cold Laser Therapy | The SkeptVet Blog

Old 02-24-2013, 10:45 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,437,138 times
How is she doing? I hope she is healing well

forum rules, please read them

Old 02-25-2013, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
She seems very happy - purrs a lot and loves being in our arms. But she is eating less and I am going to watch this - if she doesn't eat her food in a normal amount today I will call the doctor. But she has been eating on other days, enough to clean the litter box of a normal #2. I am watching it closely. Today I am physically unable to swing her by the doctor, but she did not feel it was necessary to bring her over after surgery for a number of days.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:55 AM

Yes my cat was about 6 yrs when his trouble started.

Old 02-25-2013, 02:22 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,537,533 times
We had a boy with the same issue. Took all but the front teeth, but he still had a nice smile! Best decision we ever made for him.

He still had problems in his senior years and eventually had to go on steroids. They helped immensely.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Yes my cat was about 6 yrs when his trouble started.
I believe that your cat had a different reason for the stomatitis. I think, anyway. Because our kitten (she is almost 9 months now) had severe inflammation of the gums, both sides, up and down, with a bad bacterial infection and it was all the result of a genetic autoimmune disorder where the kitten, as soon as teeth grow in, are treated by the body as unwelcome foreign objects. There is a name for this condition, all inherited, completely unrelated to nutrition or health status otherwise, and these kittens must get their teeth removed so as to be able to eat. They stop eating completely due to the severe pain and there is no known treatment for this allergic reaction, which, to repeat, is genetic in origin.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
As of tonight (we had to be out much of the day), she has been able to eat, but not as much as usual. But I do believe she is getting used to the eating with no teeth on the sides and also she has to fully heal. The doctor told us soft food, of course, for now.

I will be checking in with the doctor when she comes back the day after tomorrow. Meanwhile, Precious purrs in our arms and seems very happy, squeezes eyes, etc.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:52 AM

What you want to keep an eye out for is diabetes. Any cat that has trouble eating is at risk for this more so than another. Just something of an fyi point of interest.

Old 02-26-2013, 12:49 PM

Quote:
What you want to keep an eye out for is diabetes. Any cat that has trouble eating is at risk for this more so than another. Just something of an fyi point of interest.

Could you elaborate? Thanks.

The thing is, I would think my vets would be telling me things like that if I had to worry. She is only a 9 month old kitten and I never said she doesn't eat. After all, she only just had the surgery.

I think it is odd to worry about her getting diabetes. What made you bring that up? As it relates to a kitten who just had 20+ teeth removed, and who is possibly eating less now which I will discuss with my vet by tomorrow when she is back and when the kitten IS eating, but I am not sure how much as of yet. (She wanders around the house and could be eating from other cat food plates at mealtime. I have 10 cats and they are all over the place.)

You already gave me advice to try cold laser therapy and my vet does not believe it is a valid or effective kind of "treatment" and now you are telling me to watch out for diabetes in my kitten! Do you really know what you are talking about? I wonder. I really do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats