Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 05:35 PM

128 posts, read 177,781 times

Advertisements

My cat, Coco got out and we can't find him. I'm so sad, crying all day. He's not use to being out at all so I'm thinking he's scared and overwhelmed and hiding. I love him so! I got him 6 months ago at a shelter. My neighbors are on the lookout It's "only" been 1 day but feels like eternity.
I just needed to vent somewhere and know here you would understand my pain. Thanks for being a cyber shoulder to cry on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 06:24 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,425,831 times
I bet it does feel like an eternity! Is it cold where you live? I hope your kitty makes it home soon. Maybe when he gets hungry enough he'll turn up. Please update us tomorrow!

Old 02-26-2013, 06:47 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,832,767 times
...sooner if the news is good!
No cat-owned person stays that way for long without something like this happening. Far more often than not, the cat will return on its own within a few days. But it's not unheard of for it to take longer. Other threads here can attest to that. After six months Coco definitely knows where home is.

My rescued stray, Blaliko, has been on "field trips" for as long as six days. In the middle of her lengthiest disappearance, and during another that went on for three and a half days, I sent bulletins to the microchip people and alerted all the neighbors. Naturally she returned on the following day in each case. It was all part of my training by her, no doubt.

People here have advice galore about encouraging a wayward feline to end its adventure. Ask and you shall receive.

Old 02-26-2013, 08:06 PM

3,401 posts, read 13,372,020 times
Oh no!

Hang something that smells like you outside.

And, put some food out?

I don't know if you can borrow a trap, (if you call your local humane shelter, they usually loan them out for free), then you can put the food in the trap. But with the time of year it is, unless it's warmer where you are, you will need to keep an eye on it. Whoever you trap in there won't last long in freezing temperatures with no way to protect themselves.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:12 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,767,807 times
Quote:
I just needed to vent somewhere and know here you would understand my pain. Thanks for being a cyber shoulder to cry on.
I'm hoping so much for a good outcome for you! I do understand a little of what you're feeling.

Old 02-27-2013, 02:45 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,480,822 times
I am so sorry that your cat got out. Hopefully he sticks close to home and you will be able to find him.

Old 02-27-2013, 06:15 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Put food and bedding out, walk the neighborhood, do not sound frantic when you call him. Check all the impossible places. Hang in there!

Old 02-27-2013, 06:36 AM

2,186 posts, read 4,573,621 times
Think positive thoughts - he WILL come back home safely....WHEN he gets ready, of course!!! He is probably scared, and hiding somewhere close by. He has not forgotten where his home is and where his mama is and is probably missing you too. Take a walk in your neighborhood and look at everything from his perspective. Any little hidey hole or shed, or someplace under a porch may look inviting and safe to him. Call for him, if he has a favorite squeaky toy - squeak it, rattle some crunchies in a container as you call for him. I do hope you are reunited with each other soon - try not to worry. Please let us know when you find him - sending you a hug (((hug)))......take care..

Old 02-27-2013, 07:37 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,284,458 times
We've had a few cat escapes over 20+ years of cat companionship. One was out overnight, and we only discovered this when we opened the front door and he scuttled in. The other was out for a day, and my sister and I went all over the neighborhood, calling her. Just as we'd given up for the night, DH called me on my cell to tell me she'd meowed at the door, and he let her in. She ran straight for the litter pan, LOL.

So don't give up. Put out some stinky wet food by the door; since you have a non-feral cat, he'll be wanting to be fed. Unless he found someone else's cat food outside, he will be hungry. Good luck.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:12 AM

5,168 posts, read 11,438,772 times
I hope he comes home soon! He is probably not all that far from the house, hiding in some bushes maybe?

forum rules, please read them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats