Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 12:58 PM

24,484 posts, read 17,220,223 times

Advertisements

I love dogs and cats. Growing up we had at least 3 cats and a dog at all times. My Mom now has 4 cats and a Yellow Lab, they all get along for the most part. Each cat has it's own personality and sometimes they do scratch behind the couch but mostly they are well behaved.
I'd like to get a cat now but my wife is alergic to certain ones and we have 2 cocker spaniels that don't like cats so that wouldn't work. A neighbors cat comes over every once in awhile and when it does I'm sure to get all my patting in for a fix and the same when I visit my Mom.
It would be tuff on your mom to take care of the cat that she doesn't like for 12 hours a day. As aloof as cats can be they still like to interact with people.
I Don't think you should get one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 01:43 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,729,935 times
Nevermind...deleted.

Last edited by Three Wolves In Snow; 03-05-2013 at 03:08 PM..

Old 03-05-2013, 01:57 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
You are inconsistent. Over on the dog forum you are concerned that your father is leaving two young puppies outside in the snow and won't bring them inside. So which is it?
The OP isn't her father.

Old 03-05-2013, 02:22 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
OK, some people here are very adamant about certain things, and you can choose to listen to them or not.

I would not have a cat with front claws in my house because they will destroy your furniture. For sure. If you don't care, then don't get them declawed. My cats have suffered no ill effects from this.

Although I am a believer in adopting shelter animals, you cannot be sure that a shelter cat is not a pee-er. It is a big reason why shelters are full of cats. If you adopt a cat with bad habits, you will not be able to retrain it not to pee in places you do not want it to. Then your house will stink and you are stuck with it. I would advise you to get a shelter kitten before it has developed any bad habits and keep its litterbox scrupulously clean. Spay or neuter, of course.

If you are absent 12 hours a day, your cat will not care as long as he is warm and cozy and has plenty of dry food and water. Just give it attention when you get home. Lastly, we have had the best luck with orange male cats. They are very sweet and loving.

Old 03-05-2013, 02:50 PM

Nevermind...deleted.

Last edited by Three Wolves In Snow; 03-05-2013 at 03:08 PM..

Old 03-05-2013, 02:53 PM

20,382 posts, read 14,651,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
OK, some people here are very adamant about certain things, and you can choose to listen to them or not.

I would not have a cat with front claws in my house because they will destroy your furniture. For sure. If you don't care, then don't get them declawed. My cats have suffered no ill effects from this.
I will agree with your stance, as far as posters here being maybe right, maybe not, maybe you listen, maybe you don't...when it comes to litter preference, dry vs. wet food, indoor vs. indoor/outdoor, and many other topics. (Although I do have my own opinions, I can at least respectfully agree to disagree.) But not on this. However I'm not going to jump up and down and stamp my feet, I'm simply going to do a quick Google and throw some links from vets in here.

Declawing is illegal in a number of countries, because it is cruel. If your couch is more important than not mutilating a cat, then don't get a frickin' cat. Or adopt one that has already been declawed by someone else.

What You Need To Know About Declawing - Declawing.com

And in more detail: The Truth About Declawing - Technical Facts About Declawing - Declawing

Declawing Cats and Humane Alternatives - Long Term Effects

The Truth About Declawing

Declawing Cats - Petfinder

Excerpt: Declawing Operation
The standard declawing procedure calls for the removal of the claw, and the last bone of the toe. The operation is usually performed on the front feet. It is actually an amputation comparable to the removal of the fingers of the human hand at the last knuckle. The cat experiences considerable pain in the recovery and healing process.

Physical Consequences of Declawing | Little Big Cat

Declawing Cats: Far Worse Than a Manicure : The Humane Society of the United States

Pretty much every organization in the world of which I am aware, which promotes the health and/or welfare of cats, will agree that declawing is inhumane.

Think about this...you don't want an animal that makes a barking noise, but you think dogs are cute, so you have it's larynx surgically altered so that it is mute. Is that humane? Is that OK? Or maybe, just maybe should you NOT get a dog if you have a problem with it occasionally barking? The claws are an integral part of the cat, and removing them is altering the cat to suit your needs, completely disregarding the needs of the cat. And if you think that there have been no negative effects, you can hit one of those links where it talks about the stoicism of cats. Because in nature, if they act weak, they become prey, so they naturally try to hide pain. By the time a cat "complains" about a physical problem, it is often nearly to late to help it.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:07 PM

Actually, you know what? I'm deleting my "helpful" posts on here because of this one by the OP:

//www.city-data.com/forum/dogs/...l#post24306555

Not to mention a few others I've seen. I won't help someone who thinks this way towards animals.

Why the hell can't I edit one of my own posts? Is there some time limit on editing?

Old 03-05-2013, 04:17 PM

207 posts, read 535,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
You are inconsistent. Over on the dog forum you are concerned that your father is leaving two young puppies outside in the snow and won't bring them inside. So which is it?
their separate issues.

Old 03-05-2013, 04:23 PM

207 posts, read 535,626 times
wow i am really causing some confusion but their separate issues. Let me explain gently.
My mom is a breeder of boston terriers. My dad raises cattle. I have a boston terrier that my mom gave me when i moved out of the house. My dog is old and i love her. And I thought about if she passed away i would like a cat because of my 12 hours work days. When i go to work my mom comes over and lets my dog out. but i know if i get a cat she will not come over because she never liked cats.
Now what i posted in the dog forum, I was just angry at my dad for wanting to leave the puppies outside but luckly we convinced him to bring them in. so I wanted advce from anybody who have austrailian shephards how they took care of their dog when they were a puppy.We are inlove with the puppies. We are angry with the breeders who gave my dad the puppies, Now does everybody get it?

Old 03-05-2013, 07:02 PM

786 posts, read 1,593,382 times
It doesn't sound like you have the time to properly love and care for a cat. It's a myth that cats are fine being alone for 12 hours a day, they may act disinterested in you when you are home, but they get lonely too. It's also my concern that you have no support to help take care of your cat, like cleaning the litter box EVERY day, brushing, proper feeding, fresh water, supplying the necessary scratching posts, cat condos, toys, etc. If you add a second cat to the mix for company, preferably litter mates, it's even more work if you take care of them properly. Cats are not an ornament that just hang out requiring little to no care or love. Enjoy your mom's dogs if she breeds, sounds like for right now, you're not ready for any animals. It's nothing to be upset about, you just don't sound like you're in a position to care for an animal properly. Sounds like you're very young and have plenty of time to consider if adding a cat to your home is appropriate. There should be a lot to think about and so many people pick up dogs and cats and then return them to shelters because they had no idea how much work [or trouble] it would be. For animal lovers, the "work" is enjoyable and we love our pets like children. Doesn't sound like you've really thought it through, please do so. You have lots of good responses to your post about what's specifically involved in having a cat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats