Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 04:43 AM

1,297 posts, read 4,770,145 times

Advertisements

Been awhile since posting here. I lost my Baby Kitty to health problems last summer and still miss him very much.
I filled out an application to adopt a 1 yr old kitty from a rescue center that had a broken leg and now has a pin in it and needs a loving caring owner.

I treat all my kitties like humans and take care of all their needs. I was shocked and saddened by my denial for adopting this kitty. I said I wanted him to ride with me in my van while driving and be with me at home so he would never be alone but guess that was not good enough.

Now I'm looking for another special kitty but not going thru application process again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2013, 12:38 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times
They may have simply had other applications for that same kitty, especially if he had been "featured" on their web site, etc. Did you ask them?

Why not go to a shelter and visit with lots of different kitties? Even though you didn't get that one kitty you asked for, unless there is some reason specific to you (e.g. long work hours or something), you should be approved for another kitty.

Old 02-24-2013, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
They may have simply had other applications for that same kitty, especially if he had been "featured" on their web site, etc. Did you ask them?

Why not go to a shelter and visit with lots of different kitties? Even though you didn't get that one kitty you asked for, unless there is some reason specific to you (e.g. long work hours or something), you should be approved for another kitty.
I go to shelter on my day off and play with all kitties, and waiting for young kitten to train to go with me.

Old 02-24-2013, 03:55 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg Mann View Post
I go to shelter on my day off and play with all kitties, and waiting for young kitten to train to go with me.
I don't understand the second part of that ... do you mean you're waiting for the shelter to get kittens in? What does "train a kitten to go with me" mean??!

Doesn't really fit with your first post, either.

Old 02-24-2013, 07:06 PM

2,280 posts, read 4,515,306 times
<< I said I wanted him to ride with me in my van while driving and be with me at home so he would never be alone but guess that was not good enough.
>>

The way you wrote this it sounds as if you intended to take the cat with you in the van whenever you were going out. If so, this is not good! I hope that is not what you meant. No wonder they denied you.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:37 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,993,078 times
Quote:
I was shocked and saddened by my denial for adopting this kitty. I said I wanted him to ride with me in my van while driving and be with me at home so he would never be alone but guess that was not good enough.

Now I'm looking for another special kitty but not going thru application process again.

I think you would be better off with a dog if you want a pet to travel in the van with you every day. Too many cats dash out the door of vans, trucks and cars. It would be cruel to keep it in a carrier while you work.

Old 02-24-2013, 10:43 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,438,772 times
I agree, even though you probably have the best of intentions... the kitty my dart out the door and get lost, or hurt or even killed.

forum rules, please read them

Old 02-25-2013, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
I think you would be better off with a dog if you want a pet to travel in the van with you every day. Too many cats dash out the door of vans, trucks and cars. It would be cruel to keep it in a carrier while you work.

I drive 9 hours a day in a minivan and want cat to be my companion. Have you seen Shipping Wars on TV? The one guy has his cat with him and he travels 48 states. Many people travel with multiple cats across country in RV's. I want to train a small kitten to do this and I would be with it on road and 16 hrs at home daily.

If kitty did not like that I would leave him at home for 9 hrs/day till I got back. I can't have a dog cause I'm disabled and can not walk dog for excercise (sp) and not allowed to stay outside where I live.

Animal shelter gets kittens in in spring so will wait till then.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:14 AM

20,390 posts, read 14,661,936 times
I consider your plan to be "not optimal" but certainly not the worst thing I've seen with cat owners who thought they were doing it right. At least you're not planning on just letting it roam about outside.

The only caveat to my thoughts there...do you have to get out of your van for periods of time (don't know your line of work, but if you were for instance a plumber or contractor or something, and had to go into a place for periods of time)...if you leave an animal in a vehicle in even moderate heat, you can very easily kill it. Just because that guy on Storage Wars travels with a cat doesn't necessarily mean it's a fantastic idea. So just think it over in detail and make sure you're making a good choice.

With that said, leaving a cat at home for 9 hours a day really is no big deal. Some cats (like mine) are quite content to amuse themselves home alone for that kind of time...my 6 month old Nimbus is home from 7AM to 4-5PM weekdays. He gets by fine chasing invisible things, occasionally destroying a roll of paper towels or something, and (mostly) napping. Some cats are more social and you'd be better off just getting 2 at the same time, and they can keep one another company while you're gone.

Sometimes with pets, you have to make sure that what you want isn't going to have possible negative repurcussions for the animal...so just think it over carefully. People often think that it's cruel to limit cats to just live their whole life inside of a house...but it's not cruel at all from the cat's perspective.

Best wishes, and I hope you find the perfect kitty friend!

Old 02-25-2013, 09:21 AM

2,280 posts, read 4,515,306 times
Quote:
I drive 9 hours a day in a minivan and want cat to be my companion. Have you seen Shipping Wars on TV? The one guy has his cat with him and he travels 48 states. Many people travel with multiple cats across country in RV's. I want to train a small kitten to do this and I would be with it on road and 16 hrs at home daily.

If kitty did not like that I would leave him at home for 9 hrs/day till I got back. I can't have a dog cause I'm disabled and can not walk dog for excercise (sp) and not allowed to stay outside where I live.

Animal shelter gets kittens in in spring so will wait till then.
Oh, I see now. You needed to explain that more clearly. I support you, but it is hard to do that (get a cat trained) I would think.

Have you ever done this before? I would think it is not easy to do, and of course, you have to be ever vigilant that the cat will not escape the van and get killed. Not to be hard on you, but you do have to think of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats