U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2013, 06:36 PM

80 posts, read 661,725 times

Advertisements

My best friend passed yesterday so I adopted her dog. I have three cats at home so I am wondering if the dog can eat cat food. Because my cats nibble their dry food all day, cat food should be out and I don't think I can prevent the dog from eating it. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 07:43 PM

845 posts, read 1,891,890 times
I put the cat food on the counter where the dog can't reach it.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:47 PM

3,560 posts, read 8,519,073 times
Sorry about your friend, you and your cats are very kind to adopt her dog. When we had cats and dogs I put the cat food on the counter or somewhere else out of the dog's reach not because it was bad for the dogs, but because my dogs are piggies and cat food is expensive.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:31 PM

2,431 posts, read 5,306,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
Sorry about your friend, you and your cats are very kind to adopt her dog. When we had cats and dogs I put the cat food on the counter or somewhere else out of the dog's reach not because it was bad for the dogs, but because my dogs are piggies and cat food is expensive.
Yes they are!!! When my one cat would only eat canned food, I had to feed him in the dining room with the door shut -- my one dog would practically inhale cat food if he could (and he's not much bigger than the cat!). Now that I'm left with one cat who eats dry food, I put it up high where she can hop up to it, but the dog can't.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:36 PM

1,697 posts, read 4,142,914 times
If a dog eats some cat food once in a while, it will absolutely not hurt him. However if a dog is fed only cat food, health complications will arise as dogs and cats have different dietary requirements. ASPCA | Feeding Dogs Cat Food

Old 03-07-2013, 04:29 AM

6,191 posts, read 17,348,120 times
I am sorry for your loss but glad you were there to take in the orphaned dog.

What k9coach said.

I've had dog + cat households for decades. Cat food gets put up high where the (big) dogs can't reach it. My current kitchen is rather small and I'd rather not have the cats on the limited kitchen counter space - their food and water is on top of the chest freezer in the mud room. Since I often feed raw or canned, I have a large shallow tray to set the bols in; that way there's not much risk of wet food particles falling down behind the chest freezer.

I know someone who does cat foster and rescue and also has dogs...she's got a large finished basement and part of it is set up with feeding stations for the cats; she has a small doggie door in the door to the basement so only the cats can go in and out. Their litter boxes are down there as well. Since some dogs enjoy kitty bon-bons.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:14 AM

18,242 posts, read 11,894,891 times
Yeah, trying to restrain the dog's access to the cat's food and litter is probably best. Plenty of reasons for it. It won't hurt the dog to get a hold of cat food once in a while, but it's not balanced for their dietary requirements (honestly dry cat food isn't balanced for the cat's requirements either most of the time, and wet is better but that's a whole 'nother topic that's been covered to death so I'll shut up about it.) And it's more expensive. And you should surely concern yourself about the litterbox because cats' digestion is not as efficient as dogs'...so there are a lot of nutrients left over in cat poo, which the dog will happily eat...but that's not only gross, but it bothers some cats to have the dog pester them in the potty box and that can lead to innappropriate elimination habits in your cats. As in, going behind the couch where Fido won't be bothering them, to do their business. So just be aware of all that.

Old 03-07-2013, 12:52 PM

6,554 posts, read 6,717,910 times
I agree with what others have said about putting cat food high (I feed cats on a card table) and about now-and-then cat food not being harmful for dogs.

Here's some supplemental, although gross, words of support: a combined cat and dog household is great, because: 1) Dogs eat cat puke (unless there's a hair ball in it), and 2) Dogs eat cat food put out for cats that the cats won't eat (leftovers). And - making sure the dog can't access the delicious poop in the cat litter boxes is a good idea!

My golden retriever has made it to age 12 yrs and 3 months, so eating all of the above hasn't harmed her any!

Thank you for taking your friend's dog - I'm sure it put their mind at rest knowing that you were going to be there for their beloved friend.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:40 PM

7,201 posts, read 13,925,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maincoon View Post
My best friend passed yesterday so I adopted her dog. I have three cats at home so I am wondering if the dog can eat cat food. Because my cats nibble their dry food all day, cat food should be out and I don't think I can prevent the dog from eating it. Any suggestions? Thanks.
WRONG! First, dry-bibble, which isn't good food to start with, left out all day, is causing an obesity and diabetes epidemic in cats. It leads to kidney failure and is the cause of most cases of constipation and megacolon in cats. Switch your cats to a good canned food fed 3 times a day and feed the dog his food separately. See Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health for the proper feeding of cats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats