Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 09:39 AM

1,758 posts, read 5,493,450 times

Advertisements

I'm sorry you are getting confusing information. The link I provided, is by a vet that is EDUCATED in feline nutrition. In fact, the link was specifically about cats with CRF.
She is available for consultations. Contact her at DrPierson@catinfo.com. Her fees are comparable to an office call... or less. She can help you with your cats specific needs. She has helped me a few times...while I was also working with my vet, in person.
She also provides charts, on her website, that will show the amounts of carbs, protein, fat, phosphorus, etc in different commerical foods. But you can worry about all that later. For now, you need to get your kitty to eat something.

Last edited by Lola4; 03-16-2013 at 09:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2013, 10:26 AM

16 posts, read 34,277 times
I had to force-feed her or "assist" feed her...She didn't throw up and seems normal right now, so I'm taking that as a good sign. That's what happened last time, she stopped eating and got dehydrated. She's still recovering from that, she needs to eat. Hopefully she eats later by her own, but if she doesn't, I'll have to assist her again. She must hate me.

Old 03-16-2013, 10:34 AM

2,873 posts, read 5,851,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhadmeatmeow View Post
I'm concerned because she won't eat...Last night she didn't eat, I bought a chicken Hills wet can, of which she ate a bit yesterday morning and seemed to enjoy, but nothing. Today (11 am here) and still nothing. She ate a bit out of my finger last night, but that was it. When she smells the food she does this thing with her tongue, like salivating. What could this mean? She's interested but can't eat because of metabolism acidosis, perhaps?
I really need her to eat so we can stop dehydration.
Is this the way it's gonna be? She gets dehydrated, gets IV treatment, comes back home, seems like she's recovering and then loses her appetite and we do everything all over again? :/
Are you giving her Pepcid?

Old 03-16-2013, 10:37 AM

1,758 posts, read 5,493,450 times
Yup, not eating and/or dry food will definitely dehydrate her. Personally, I would go buy the stinkiest wet food I could and try that. Keeping her hydrated, at this point, is the most important.
I don't remember if it was dry that you were mixing with water and blending... if it was, that could be a reason for an upset. Water, added to dry, is a haven for bacteria growth.
Your kitty doesn't hate you. xxoo

Old 03-16-2013, 01:15 PM

Nope, neither vet gave me something for acidosis. I'm definitely asking.
She didn't care for the dry+water mix, and it smelled horrible. At least the wet food smells great.
I did mix wet with some water to basically turn it into baby food. That's what she ate before and that's what she's having later, either by herself or by my assistance.
Thanks for your advice!

Old 03-16-2013, 02:31 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,992,988 times
Quote:
I'm concerned because she won't eat...Last night she didn't eat, I bought a chicken Hills wet can, of which she ate a bit yesterday morning and seemed to enjoy, but nothing. Today (11 am here) and still nothing. She ate a bit out of my finger last night, but that was it. When she smells the food she does this thing with her tongue, like salivating. What could this mean? She's interested but can't eat because of metabolism acidosis, perhaps?
I really need her to eat so we can stop dehydration.
Is this the way it's gonna be? She gets dehydrated, gets IV treatment, comes back home, seems like she's recovering and then loses her appetite and we do everything all over again? :/

It's not metabolic acidiosis....................it's an acid tummy... they are two different things.

Liquid tagamet takes care of the tummy.

Old 03-16-2013, 02:41 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,851,886 times
Quote:
Nope, neither vet gave me something for acidosis. I'm definitely asking.
She didn't care for the dry+water mix, and it smelled horrible. At least the wet food smells great.
I did mix wet with some water to basically turn it into baby food. That's what she ate before and that's what she's having later, either by herself or by my assistance.
Thanks for your advice!
Acid indigestion is a big problem for CRF kitties and can have a big affect on their eating. I don't suppose you'll be able to get a hold of the vet due to it being the weekend?

Maybe get some Fancy Feast and mix it with the Hills just until you can speak with her vet?

Old 03-18-2013, 06:59 AM

ocngypz, what's the difference between the two? How can I tell for sure? She ate a little bit of kibble this morning. Last night she went to her bowl, she had every intention to eat, but then salivated (no drooling) and walked away. I'm calling my vet now.

Old 03-18-2013, 07:22 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,992,988 times
Quote:
ocngypz, what's the difference between the two? How can I tell for sure? She ate a little bit of kibble this morning. Last night she went to her bowl, she had every intention to eat, but then salivated (no drooling) and walked away. I'm calling my vet now.
That's why I asked for her phosphorous level. If it were metabolic, the phos level would have been out of whack.

You should feed her wet food. Put it on your finger and stick it on the roof of her mouth. Don't let her spit it out.

Old 03-18-2013, 01:32 PM

Good and bad news: good news is she's eating, the bad news is it's dry food. Vet says to no longer assist her feeding since she can become stressed (consider I'm also giving her water through a syringe) Since she's eating again I hope she can have a bite of the wet by her own later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats