Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 07:09 PM

16 posts, read 34,274 times

Advertisements

So, apparently my cat is back to her usual routine. She's eating, drinking, sleeping on her couch...Can't seem to make her eat wet food, though, no luck. I thought she liked it, but now she runs away from it. The dry food, she loves :/ Anyway, I'm happy she's eating again. She's also grooming herself again. She rolls like she used to before this happened...I don't know, I guess I don't wanna get too hopeful, but this turn for the better definitely cheers me up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 07:48 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,991,727 times
Good news! Glad to hear it!

She may have acquired a little wet food aversion. Cats will do that. But seriously, she needs to be on wet food.

Cats are not natural drinkers. In the wild, they get most of their water from the live prey they catch and eat. Dry food only has about 10% moisture, wet food 78-80% moisture.

And then there's the issue of all the crap carbs they put in dryfood - even the "prescription diets". Did you know that cats in the wild do not develop diabetes? Of course not. They don't eat carbs. Carbs are metabolized in the system as sugar!

I bet her mouth is feeling a lot better too!

Old 03-21-2013, 02:33 AM

1,758 posts, read 5,492,997 times
ALL dry fed cats are dehydrated to some extent. Some worse than others. Your kitty has CRF because of being chronically dehydrated.
Cats get the majority, of their much needed moisture, from their food. Wet food.
We transitioned all 7 of our dry food addicts to wet. 4 were done at one time. The others were transitioned, as they joined the family. Please read these transitioning tips:
http://catinfo.org/docs/TipsForTransitioning1-14-11.pdf
CRF isn't something you can ignore.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:27 AM

I'm certainly NOT ignoring it, but between not eating (which led to dehydration the first time) and eating dry food, no brainer. I'm not saying I'm giving up on wet food, definitely not, but right now our main goal is to make her gain weight and keep her hydrated (I still give her water through syringe), and dry food has more calories than wet. Besides, she's not eating wet food, she runs away from it, and vet adviced me not to force feed her since she might become stressed and not eat anything at all.
Thanks for the link, very helpful. It says that transition should be applied on healthy cats, which currently my cat isn't, but sure is recovering. Also it mentions that from dry to wet makes cat lose weight, we can't take that right now. Hopefully we can get her into a more stable state and try this transition. I'm aware wet food is healthier. Thanks again.

Last edited by uhadmeatmeow; 03-21-2013 at 09:00 AM..

Old 03-21-2013, 10:13 AM

380 posts, read 833,293 times
If this sounds snarky, it's not meant as such. There's just no way to sugarcoat it:

Even if you have to travel a distance, find a vet who isn't corrupt.
A veterinarian should KNOW the physiologies and anatomies of the species which they (should have) studied to some degree, and look at each day of their careers.

Cats, like Ferrets, are obligate (meaning strict) carnivores. No different than lions, tigers, right on down the line.

You have a vet telling -- even "prescribing' cereal to a species which isn't even capable of chewing/grinding/digesting it properly.

The reason your catis addicted to the kibble is that they (cats) go by smell. Look at the ingredients. That stuff is topped with unimaginables (animal digest and what-not, restaurant grease and whatever other smelly stuff) to entice the animal to eat it.

Last edited by Pamina333; 03-21-2013 at 10:23 AM..

Old 03-21-2013, 12:01 PM

I doubt my usual vet is corrupt, it doesn't make any sense. He's not saying "Go for kibble, ditch wet", in fact he agrees it's best for my cat, but the current situation, like I explained, doesn't allow me to make the switch at this moment. The other vet, which took the tests and put her on IV, he sold me both dry and wet, of course that was all about business. In desperation, sadness and confusion it didn't ocurr to me to say no to the dry version.
My usual vet is not corrupt or involved with Hills (or other brands) in any way, it wouldn't make sense since a 1,8 kg bag of kibble is $32 and lasts close to 40 days given that my cat is supposed to eat 50 grams a day. If my vet was "in it" with Hills he would've recommended wet food immediatly, since a can is $5 and she's supposed to eat 3/4 per day, a total of close to $95 a month.
I'm making the transition as soon as I can, right now the last thing I wanna do is scare her appetite away by trying food that she doesn't like or still associates with force feeding.

Old 03-21-2013, 05:45 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,991,727 times
Just keep her eating.

Don't forget to buy some people tuna..... white albacore in water.......covers up any other aroma..... to help transition to wet food only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats