Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 11:23 AM

380 posts, read 832,778 times

Advertisements

Declawing's another thing. This (US) is the only country where it's even legal.
The pet owners don't perform these themselves.

Veterinarians perform the procedures. Veterinarians make this option available. One chain may still be offering it with a spay/neuter "package". We don't see any protests, or boycotts in front of the facilties offering this. Or cat owners boycotting practices which offer this "service".

Yet pet owners get lambasted moreso....

Most people aren't aware of these things (over-vaccination may as well be included). They trust the professional.

More veterinarians like Drs. Pierson, Goldstein, Fox, Hodgkins, Dodds, Hofve, Larsen, etc. would be in demand, and more young vets would take their route, if people only knew....but the majority does not. Because people put everything back on the pet owner who is only following professional advice.

And, as everything in life, it's all about Popular Demand.

Last edited by Pamina333; 03-22-2013 at 11:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 11:30 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times
On RV.net a Vet is the moderator of the pet forums. He will not allow anything to be written and posted that exposes the pet food industry. Conflict of interest? This is what we're dealing with.

Old 03-22-2013, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
On RV.net a Vet is the moderator of the pet forums. He will not allow anything to be written and posted that exposes the pet food industry. Conflict of interest? This is what we're dealing with.

It's endless.

Ever wonder why Diabetic cats going into REMISSION isn't ever mentioned on those stupid TV shows, like DR Oz and what-not? You'd think this would be HUGE news, with so many Diabetic pets, and ever rising. And Dr Elizabeth Hodgkins would be more well-known amongst cat owners than whatever gets shoved down your throats daily on mainstream TV.

Look who the biggest advertisers are. P&G is one. They seemingly own almost everything. Including the recent recalled foods currently being posted on Forums.

Until these things are addressed by more people, the same old same old will continue, no change, no reform. No demand for better.... and the PU Surgeries, Diabetics, etc will continue to escalate. it's as though pet owners have trees in their yards growing $20 bills for all the medical necessities....

Old 03-22-2013, 11:58 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF4256 View Post

It's endless.

Until these things are addressed by more people, the same old same old will continue, no change, no reform. No demand for better.... and the PU Surgeries, Diabetics, etc will continue to escalate. it's as though pet owners have trees in their yards growing $20 bills for all the medical necessities....
It is indeed endless. And the saddest part is people, even when educated about the pet food industry and dry kibble especially, still feed it because it's CHEAP and it's CONVENIENT.

Old 03-29-2013, 02:25 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,490,423 times
Snip...

Quote:
We have been bombarded with this information for so long and so often that we have come to believe a lie my friends. A LIE produced by the multi-billion dollar pet food industry that sponsors the classes in veterinary colleges that are taught to the veterinary students to scare us all into thinking that we must buy and feed their processed food products or our dogs will never really be healthy. What Bunk!
The above is from a dog website, BUT the article is about kibble and alllll the diseases that come with feeding it.
Our cats and dogs didn't have all the issues 25 yeas ago, until kibble entered the scene.

Kibble is kibble is still kibble!

Old 04-03-2013, 09:58 AM

20,364 posts, read 14,636,289 times
How horrific. The sad thing is that I know people who are on obsessive paleo diets themselves, yet still feed their pets kibble, because they don't know...

Just the info on the rendered carcasses is enough to shock and disgust me. I hope the quality canned foods are at least somewhat less awful.

Old 04-03-2013, 12:36 PM

297 posts, read 502,412 times
I don't think all this is limited to pet food. It's our culture of money, big business and everything being fast and convenient. I mean, some people feed their kids McDonalds every day and don't see a problem with it.

Old 04-03-2013, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogluvr2012 View Post
I don't think all this is limited to pet food. It's our culture of money, big business and everything being fast and convenient. I mean, some people feed their kids McDonalds every day and don't see a problem with it.
The issue, however, is the fact that MDs aren't allowed to convince their patients that strict McDonald's diets are what people *should* be eating -- let alone being "prescribed" & sold them straight from the medical facilities themselves.

Look at the ingredients in vet "prescribed" kibble-foods. Full of species-inappropriate junk ingredients, also too high in carbs for carnivores which can't even chew it, with higher salt content to make the animals drink more.

And felines have a naturally low thirst drive to begin with

No different than a strict diet of McDonald's fries -- or corn chips -- would be for humans as a strict diet.

Last edited by Pamina333; 04-03-2013 at 01:25 PM..

Old 04-03-2013, 01:50 PM

20,364 posts, read 14,636,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF4256 View Post
No different than a strict diet of McDonald's fries -- or corn chips -- would be for humans as a strict diet.
Except that our McDonalds fries potatoes of origin, and the corn chips' source corn, is not necessarily the rotting, euthanized, or discarded carcasses from packing plants, animal shelters, and roadkill, possibly soaked in toxic chemicals and possibly wearing collars and tags, ground up repeatedly, processed at high temps repeatedly, "rendered" and eventually mixed with other undigestible ingredients and sprayed with a "nutritious and appetizing" coating of synthetic nutrients and digests, then sold to us by our doctors for daily exclusive consumption as a dry cereal.

It's like...it was bad the way you said it...but it's worse the way that website said it.

Old 04-03-2013, 02:45 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
How horrific. The sad thing is that I know people who are on obsessive paleo diets themselves, yet still feed their pets kibble, because they don't know...
Heh. Funny. This is me about right now. Not obsessive exactly but I'm playing with that form of eating myself. I wish it were that easy to get the CAT to eat that way (minus the veggies of course), but it is surprisingly difficult. I've tried giving her bits of the raw meat that I've been cooking at home recently, or cooked meat purposely not seasoning it much, and none of that holds any real interest. And she seems to have backed off more on the canned food than even the one meal she typically was eating a reasonable amount of.

I really don't know what to think at this point. I have tried, best I can, so many things to try to get this cat to eat any wet food cooked or raw and I can't figure out what else to try. She's very close to 17 years now, don't know what else to do. I'm worried about her a bit, seems to be eating a little less of what she does eat. It's far from none and she's still plenty interested in food but just seems like less intake overall. She has a vet visit scheduled for next week so we'll see if anything new is up or if she's just her usual stubborn self....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats